How does McCarthy make the Cowboys better?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
It’s very possible that McCarthy’s in-game decisions are worth 2-4 wins per season.

Garrett just never became a head coach. On the job training didn’t work.

TWOK11

Reaction score
They ran the ball 285 yards and 4 TD, they threw the ball 8 time for 77 yards and 0 TD. Defense of the 9ers shut packers down through out the game claiming 3 turnovers. This game had nothing to do with SF passing, 6 of 8? Your comment is a joke, Get a clue. NEXT!!!!

Passing the ball more efficiently doesn’t always mean you passed the ball well. It can mean you forced your opponent to have a terrible efficiency. Rodgers was completing 61% for 145 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT and 3 fumbles before garbage time yards and points. GB had an inferior passing efficiency than SF.

And again, a 3-0 turnover differential trumps all

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Passing the ball more efficiently doesn’t always mean you passed the ball well. It can mean you forced your opponent to have a terrible efficiency. Rodgers was completing 61% for 145 yards, 0 TDs, 1 INT and 3 fumbles before garbage time yards and points. GB had an inferior passing efficiency than SF.

And again, a 3-0 turnover differential trumps all

They threw it 8 time it was not a big factor in the game. he was 6 of 8 in passing for 77 yards it had little bearing on the game as GB would do nothing to stop the run. SF ran at will with several drives where they did not even attempt a throw. You carry on about the great passing of SF but does not change the fact that won the game by their ability to run the ball at will.

TWOK11

Reaction score
They threw it 8 time it was not a big factor in the game. he was 6 of 8 in passing for 77 yards it had little bearing on the game as GB would do nothing to stop the run. SF ran at will with several drives where they did not even attempt a throw. You carry on about the great passing of SF but does not change the fact that won the game by their ability to run the ball at will.

You clearly can’t grasp these simple concepts so I see no point in continuing this discussion

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You clearly can’t grasp these simple concepts so I see no point in continuing this discussion

I grasp that going 6 of 8 was not the deciding factor in the game. SF run game was unstoppable, they ran at will. what if they went 1 for 1 in passing it was the great passing game that was the difference. Passing game played little to no part in this game. overwhelming yards and TD came all on their ability to run. Your choice to praise the passing attack all you want

cowboyed

Reaction score
McCarthy makes the Cowboys better by spanking each player that messes up, having them stand in the corner and also making them listen to Boxcar Willie hit songs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest question for Cowboys fans is why Jerry insisted on hiring an offensive minded coach in Mike McCarthy for a team that already has the #1 offense in the NFL. It's like he just doesn't understand how important defense is. Is Mike Nolan the answer on defense? Really?

The Cowboys, under both Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells, fielded the #1 defense in the NFL. Both of them understand what it takes to build a championship team - excellent defense. I am not sanguine about the hire of Mike McCarthy. It is highly unlikely he will materially improve the team over the level of offensive performance that Garrett had in his tenure in Dallas.

Over the 13 years that Jason Garrett presided as either Offensive Coordinator and/or Head Coach in Dallas, the Cowboys' offense ranked 4th in total offensive production (367 ypg), and 6th in offensive points per game (24.3 ppg). Having a productive offense in both yards and scoring was not a problem for the Cowboys under Garrett. (Those who are counting on Garrett to fall on his face in New York are likely to be surprised and disappointed.)

The issue for Garrett as Head Coach is he could never consistently field a good defense. When push came to shove, and when nut-cutting time came in the playoffs, Dallas consistently fielded an impotent defense.

Mike McCarthy had the exact same problem in Green Bay. With the exception of the one year the Packers made it to the Super Bowl as the 6th seed in the NFC playoffs, and upset the Steelers, McCarthy fielded top offensive teams, but consistently poor defenses. Even with All-world Aaron Rodgers, the Packers haven't been able to get back to the big game in a decade.

So, I'm wondering if Mike McCarthy is Fool's Gold for Cowboys fans. How is he not EXACTLY what the Cowboys just got rid of?

As for Garrett, he will not be responsible for the defense for the Giants. If Joe Judge can field a good defense, chances are very high the Giants will be very good very soon. If not, then they will become a carbon copy of what the Cowboys have been over the last 13 seasons. I suppose that for Garrett haters, at least some Cowboys fans can cheer for the Giants to be mediocre. But how does that help the rest of us fans who want another Super Bowl trophy in Dallas?

P.S. I waited two weeks to post this, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like this decision. Jerry is just repeating the mistake he made with Garrett. That's my gut feel. I hope I'm wrong.
Good post Jumbo. I would say the difference between McCarthy and Garrett is this: Mac probably has two years to take this team where Garrett couldn’t. I know he has a five year deal but I don’t think that means that much. I think because of his experience and prior success, more will be expected from Mac in a shorter time frame than was expected of Garrett.

Time will tell of course. But I expect the time line leash attached to MM will be shorter than we’ve seen in the last ten years. This seems to be a “win now” hire.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The biggest question for Cowboys fans is why Jerry insisted on hiring an offensive minded coach in Mike McCarthy for a team that already has the #1 offense in the NFL. It's like he just doesn't understand how important defense is. Is Mike Nolan the answer on defense? Really?

The Cowboys, under both Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells, fielded the #1 defense in the NFL. Both of them understand what it takes to build a championship team - excellent defense. I am not sanguine about the hire of Mike McCarthy. It is highly unlikely he will materially improve the team over the level of offensive performance that Garrett had in his tenure in Dallas.

Over the 13 years that Jason Garrett presided as either Offensive Coordinator and/or Head Coach in Dallas, the Cowboys' offense ranked 4th in total offensive production (367 ypg), and 6th in offensive points per game (24.3 ppg). Having a productive offense in both yards and scoring was not a problem for the Cowboys under Garrett. (Those who are counting on Garrett to fall on his face in New York are likely to be surprised and disappointed.)

The issue for Garrett as Head Coach is he could never consistently field a good defense. When push came to shove, and when nut-cutting time came in the playoffs, Dallas consistently fielded an impotent defense.

Mike McCarthy had the exact same problem in Green Bay. With the exception of the one year the Packers made it to the Super Bowl as the 6th seed in the NFC playoffs, and upset the Steelers, McCarthy fielded top offensive teams, but consistently poor defenses. Even with All-world Aaron Rodgers, the Packers haven't been able to get back to the big game in a decade.

So, I'm wondering if Mike McCarthy is Fool's Gold for Cowboys fans. How is he not EXACTLY what the Cowboys just got rid of?

As for Garrett, he will not be responsible for the defense for the Giants. If Joe Judge can field a good defense, chances are very high the Giants will be very good very soon. If not, then they will become a carbon copy of what the Cowboys have been over the last 13 seasons. I suppose that for Garrett haters, at least some Cowboys fans can cheer for the Giants to be mediocre. But how does that help the rest of us fans who want another Super Bowl trophy in Dallas?

P.S. I waited two weeks to post this, but the more I think about it, the more I don't like this decision. Jerry is just repeating the mistake he made with Garrett. That's my gut feel. I hope I'm wrong.

very good post.

agree 100 percent.

that’s why the Nolan hire is probably a huge mistake.

his defenses have been terrible. (did anyone in Dallas google his stats before hiring him???)

id rather keep Marinelli, and I think he needed fired in 2014.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Good post Jumbo. I would say the difference between McCarthy and Garrett is this: Mac probably has two years to take this team where Garrett couldn’t. I know he has a five year deal but I don’t think that means that much. I think because of his experience and prior success, more will be expected from Mac in a shorter time frame than was expected of Garrett.

Time will tell of course. But I expect the time line leash attached to MM will be shorter than we’ve seen in the last ten years. This seems to be a “win now” hire.

I think the team has a 2-3 year window before the next rebuild.

they wasted Zeke and Daks best years.

wasted them.

GMO415

Reaction score
He's a proven HC. He's a successful HC. He's not a learn as you go HC like Garrett. It's night and day people.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For any HC, success won't come easily but rather, by leading and teaching his players how to become winners. MM has proven himself in that regard. Honestly, I doubt it's wise to expect any HC to create instant success. I think at least two or three years is a reasonable time frame for playoff success to materialize. The many changes that are likely to be required will probably make it so, imho.

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
Garrett was garbage. Funny some still think he was 'just as good' as McCarthy, Payton, Reid etc. 10-8 in the playoffs and a championship. Compared to a team that clapped itself into sitting home every January. The Eagles game was an epic failure against backups and practice squad players in a long line of them with a playoff spot up for grabs.. The legend of Jason Garrett right there!!! A perfect ending to a crap era. Unprepared and soft.