How does the richest sports franchise on Earth settle for Keith O'Quinn?

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Jerry Jones.

He really just doesn't comprehend NFL football.
He is still bitter about Jimmy getting the credit for the 90s Cowboys and stupidly dismisses the importance of solid coaching in the NFL.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
The entire coaching staff is riddled with this type of stuff.

Part of the reason is that Garrett is a lame duck coach and they hate to pay coaches who aren’t around.

The other reason is that Garrette has no real coaching experience outside of dallas so he can’t bring people in. Plus old school coaches like Wade, Ryan and Callahan all got the Garrett treatment, coaches know what goes on. No one wants to work for this clown.

Third reason is the Jerry loves gifting coaching positions to people who are loyal. Skill be damned.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
No reputable special teams coach was gonna sign on knowing that Garrett was a lame duck coach and they'd be looking for a new job again in a year. This entire season was a waste by Jerry and doomed from the start

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
The subject matter of this thread has bothered me all season. It's glaringly obvious there is a deficiency somewhere in ST when you're consistently asking your QB to put together 85-95 yard scoring drives. Field position is so important in this league and Dallas loses that battle on a weekly basis. Chris Jones punting the ball 30 yards, Maher missing 10 FG's, and our constant need to fair catch balls paralyzes us every game and has cost us dearly.

If I'm GM, I'm getting rid of the long snapper and punter in the offseason, and bringing in a stud kicker out of college to compete with Forbath (if they decide to hang onto him). Jerry has had competent Special Teams coaches in here between Joe Decamillis and Rich Bisaccia, so I have no idea why he's letting one third of this team's output flounder under a meat head who very recently made his living splicing together gameday playbooks.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Same reason my wealthy Uncle buys the DVD version of a movie to play in his UHD player.

He doesn't know any better, or can't see the difference.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
They clearly don't value STs. We lose at least 50 hidden yards due to poor special teams every game.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
By far the worst coach on this team.

He was a disaster last season and they stuck with him.

Goes to the bigger picture of what is wrong with this franchise.

BigD5

Reaction score
Holding on to Garrett I can sort of rationalize because he's your pet project but why the loyalty to Keith O'Quinn? When you have an unlimited amount of funds to spend on the best special teams coach in the biz why do you settle for a lackey from the video/scouting department? The fact that this dude survived the entire season is the most perplexing thing about this year to me. This is what his unit produced yesterday -

- Illegal formation penalty on punt.

- Allowed a 34 yd KO return. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.
- Allowed a 21 yd KO return on a short KO. Eagles start on PHI 46 yd line.
- Allowed a 30 yd KO return. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.

- 38 yard punt from our 25 yd line. Eagles start on PHI 37 yd line.
- 30 yard punt from our 30 yd line. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.
- Punt into the EZ from our 44 yd line.
- 38 yard punt from our 28 yd line. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.

- 2nd quarter: Cobb 10 yard punt return with no defenders in his vicinity.
Worst coach on the staff not named Garrett.

And this staff is AWFUL

So that is saying something

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Holding on to Garrett I can sort of rationalize because he's your pet project but why the loyalty to Keith O'Quinn? When you have an unlimited amount of funds to spend on the best special teams coach in the biz why do you settle for a lackey from the video/scouting department? The fact that this dude survived the entire season is the most perplexing thing about this year to me. This is what his unit produced yesterday -

- Illegal formation penalty on punt.

- Allowed a 34 yd KO return. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.
- Allowed a 21 yd KO return on a short KO. Eagles start on PHI 46 yd line.
- Allowed a 30 yd KO return. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.

- 38 yard punt from our 25 yd line. Eagles start on PHI 37 yd line.
- 30 yard punt from our 30 yd line. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.
- Punt into the EZ from our 44 yd line.
- 38 yard punt from our 28 yd line. Eagles start on PHI 34 yd line.

- 2nd quarter: Cobb 10 yard punt return with no defenders in his vicinity.

giphy.gif

HungryLion

Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. OQuinn has done the worst coaching job I can remember by a Dallas Coach and I was around for Dave Campo.

Campo could actually coach a secondary at least. Just wasn’t a good HC

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry decided to go cheap with some of these coaches. Makes no sense, they aren't capped, find a really good coach somewhere. But no Jerry promotes assistants who have no clue how to run these units by themselves thinking Jason will correct their mistakes. That's not what Jason does so these units are not getting the coaching or planning at any level. This goes for the OL, LB, and ST positions.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
No reputable special teams coach was gonna sign on knowing that Garrett was a lame duck coach and they'd be looking for a new job again in a year. This entire season was a waste by Jerry and doomed from the start
I think this is a big part of the reason. I feel sorry for a couple of the coaches here, as it could/should turn into a bloodbath could black Monday. With a new head coach and a few new coordinators, it will be interesting to see who is still under contract for next year or two. But O'Quinn should be 2nd out the door after Garrett.
Like Columbo, Lal etc. Think players like Bloom, but I would let him go.
I know this is going to get me killed on here, but I would even like if the new head coach wanted to keep Richard. Let him take over the whole defense, put it all on him and let him design his own schemes/personnel etc. (Probably not likely).

Kaiser

Reaction score
Campo could actually coach a secondary at least. Just wasn’t a good HC

Yup, Campo (and Marinelli) were good examples of the Peter Principle as Head Coaches. Great position coaches that got promoted out of their level of competence.