How effective has Will McClay been?

basel90

Reaction score
I hear a lot of praise for Will McClay and his influence on jerry and stephen when it comes to draft selections . But do we actually know how effective he has been ? The latest draft picks have not been that great ( Gregory , Taco , Trysten Hill , LVE injury history etc ) ? Does he make the final decisions anyway ? Any inside knowledge or thoughts on McClay ?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He plays into Jerry's view of taking risks on athleticism and he'll never stand up to or challenge Jerry.

He's not horrible but seriously overrated by this fan base.

Also, the Randy Gregory pick was all Jerry. I do not know which side of the Taco vs Watt debate or the Trysten Hill vs Juan Thornhill debates McClay was on, but he was either dead wrong or didn't have enough clout to sway the other side. Neither are desirable qualities for the VP of Player Personnel.

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
None of us has the proper security clearance to know what really goes on behind those closed doors in Dallas, but the general consensus says if it's good it's McClay, if it's bad it's Jerry. Heavy is the crown of the ringmaster and top clown.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Some folks need to know how scouts really do their jobs. They don't walk out into the world picking guys they like. They evaluate to a player template the position coaches develop.
Otherwise if a scout picks players for a 3-4 say, and the coach is running a Tampa 2, then there are problems. 34 linemen are spark plugs, whereas the classic 43 lineman, the kind Tom Landry liked, were tall and lean.

D-

texbumthelife

Reaction score
I hear a lot of praise for Will McClay and his influence on jerry and stephen when it comes to draft selections . But do we actually know how effective he has been ? The latest draft picks have not been that great ( Gregory , Taco , Trysten Hill , LVE injury history etc ) ? Does he make the final decisions anyway ? Any inside knowledge or thoughts on McClay ?

I mean, if those were the only picks he was in on, sure he'd be in trouble. The Cowboys have made their living in the middle rounds recently and he's be absolute money there. That said, in the Jerryocracy, there is no telling how much input and decision making power he has.

basel90

Reaction score
Some of those players that you mentioned he did not want but was thrust on him by some of coaches namely Marinelli. I have heard that he wanted Watts over Taco.
Yes Watts was a no brainer over Taco, who is a complete bust.

basel90

Reaction score
He plays into Jerry's view of taking risks on athleticism and he'll never stand up to or challenge Jerry.

He's not horrible but seriously overrated by this fan base.

Also, the Randy Gregory pick was all Jerry. I do not know which side of the Taco vs Watt debate or the Trysten Hill vs Juan Thornhill debates McClay was on, but he was either dead wrong or didn't have enough clout to sway the other side. Neither are desirable qualities for the VP of Player Personnel.
Indeed. Looking at his history McClay never played in the NFL or coached in the NFL . I wonder if he is just a smooth talker and plays up to Jerry.

DFWJC

Reaction score
McClay and his team provide the scouting and relative rankings/values of prospects as well as all current NFL players throughout the league.

He does NOT make the draft picks

He provides his input based on all the normal NFL scouting inputs (production, measurables, etc) but has to add details on scheme fit etc.
His scouting team's input is combined with the coaches and front office's perspective to create the final player rankings. But his group's input is the foundation

Again, he does not personally make the picks.

For example, my guess is that he had Watt ranked higher than Taco overall, but Marinelli's input/preferences pushed Taco forward.

Last edited:

basel90

Reaction score
I mean, if those were the only picks he was in on, sure he'd be in trouble. The Cowboys have made their living in the middle rounds recently and he's be absolute money there. That said, in the Jerryocracy, there is no telling how much input and decision making power he has.
yes , i love that phrase Jerryocracy :laugh:

basel90

Reaction score
McClay and his team provide the scouting and relative rankings/values of prospects as well as all current NFL players throughout the league.
He does NOT make the draft picks
so why is he highly praised . Do we actually know if he is any good ? or is he just a glorified scout who gets along with jerry and stephen ? i wonder how MM will work with him during draft day.