How every Team Got Its Name & Identity!

Flamma

Reaction score
I've seen this, it's very interesting. A lot of the team names and or logos are inspired by or tied to their city or state of origin. Cowboys, Saints, Bills, are teams that have one or both. Teams like the Raiders, Rams, Eagles, not so much. So when a team decides to move, do they change their name?

When the Dallas Texans moved to KC they had to change their name. You can't be called the Texans. In the NHL when the Minnesota Northstars moved to Dallas they dropped the north from their name. Or else it would be silly, right?

The NFL has always been pretty good with this. A lot of the teams that moved had a name that was ok pretty much wherever they went. The Houston Oilers however kept the name for a time until they finally changed it. But at least they did.

Here are some head scratchers. In the NBA we have the Utah Jazz and the Los Angeles Lakers. What's that all about? Well, they started off as the New Orleans Jazz and the Minneapolis Lakers. Two names that make absolutely no sense what so ever. There's probably more I just can't think of them. But the NFL has been pretty steady unless I'm missing something.

kskboys

Reaction score
I've seen this, it's very interesting. A lot of the team names and or logos are inspired by or tied to their city or state of origin. Cowboys, Saints, Bills, are teams that have one or both. Teams like the Raiders, Rams, Eagles, not so much. So when a team decides to move, do they change their name?

When the Dallas Texans moved to KC they had to change their name. You can't be called the Texans. In the NHL when the Minnesota Northstars moved to Dallas they dropped the north from their name. Or else it would be silly, right?

The NFL has always been pretty good with this. A lot of the teams that moved had a name that was ok pretty much wherever they went. The Houston Oilers however kept the name for a time until they finally changed it. But at least they did.

Here are some head scratchers. In the NBA we have the Utah Jazz and the Los Angeles Lakers. What's that all about? Well, they started off as the New Orleans Jazz and the Minneapolis Lakers. Two names that make absolutely no sense what so ever. There's probably more I just can't think of them. But the NFL has been pretty steady unless I'm missing something.
Cowboys were first named the Steers. That didn't go over so well, as you can imagine, so they quickly changed it.