How fast we forget sometimes. Jerry Jones

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who remembers, Jerry always being on the sidelines. Question When was the last time he did it. . I remember before games. Jerry would walk on the field with Jimmy. What brought this Memory back to me, was seeing him with craft on the sidelines in New England. What else have you forgotten
It’s clear Jerry isn’t involved as he used to be.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I just didn’t remember when the last time I saw him on the field. I was at a game in New York in the 90s. He was trotting along with Jimmy in the middle of the field. There’s a very high wall in That old stadium. But he took the time to come over and talk to us. He not stuck up I’ll give them that . I’ve talk to Bill Parcells And Bledsoe when he was a rookie. I yelled, Bill I love the enthusiasm. He turned he looked he kept walking. And then he finally turned and said some thing. Bledsoe came over and signed my cards. Gave me A hard time for not having a sharpie. So many games so many seasons. Just so hard to remember everything

One of the last times I can remember was when he came on the sidelines and asked Garrett to pull Romo because we had a playoff spot wrapped up. Jerry having a conference with Garrett on the sidelines during a game made a lot of headway. Garrett was asked about it during his presser after that game and he seemed embarrassed. It wasn’t long after when Jerry stopped going on the sidelines.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One of the last times I can remember was when he came on the sidelines and asked Garrett to pull Romo because we had a playoff spot wrapped up. Jerry having a conference with Garrett on the sidelines during a game made a lot of headway. Garrett was asked about it during his presser after that game and he seemed embarrassed. It wasn’t long after when Jerry stopped going on the sidelines.
Good memory. I wonder how many people remember that

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I seem to remember him coming down to the field for some of our recent playoff games that we were losing or were tight. Didn't he come down to the field for one of the Green Bay games?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Jerry is 79, and he's had 2 hip replacements. I doubt it's for a lack of wanting. He probably realizes that the sideline is no longer the best place for a guy of his age.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Didn't he come down after Romo came back to sidelines after getting injured and told Garrett to out him back in? I think it was Monday night against *** in 2015

Big_D

Reaction score
Jerry is too sauced to make his way to the sideline these days.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who remembers, Jerry always being on the sidelines. Question When was the last time he did it. . I remember before games. Jerry would walk on the field with Jimmy. What brought this Memory back to me, was seeing him with craft on the sidelines in New England. What else have you forgotten
The Pandemic has limited his exposure on the sidelines . In Massachusetts he’d be very safe on the sidelines. I wish he’d get out and mingle in the crowd. Especially in Arlington. Lol

Rajveer

Reaction score
Jerry has been accused of meddling and undermining his head coaches so much over the years that’s probably why he doesn’t go down on the sidelines anymore. Jimmy was never comfortable with him on the sidelines. I don’t think Garrett wanted him down there.
I don't think Jerry wanted to go down there during the Garrett era, he was too scared to get his butt smacked after each positive play.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Jones is also the GM.
How many other league GMs get out on the field pregame?

I don't know the answer, but I wonder how many other owners grew up like JJ. His family was comfortable, but not wealthy, while he still lived at home. I think his dad made some money later in life, but Jerry worked in the family grocery store as a kid. I know exactly what that's like.

I'm guessing Jerry is one of the more relatable owners in the game.

plasticman

Reaction score
No coach ever wanted Jerry Jones on the sidelines or in the lockerroom.

Not being on the sidelines was part of his fake makeover of 2010.

At some point I believe it was made clear to him that he was the problem and the key reason for the Cowboys demise that season. We were also told that Jerry would be making fewer decisions and would yield a lot of the authority to Stephen. We were told that Jerry would be stepping more to the background.

This was a farce. Of course Jerry couldn't possibly resist publicity. He sat on his hands, muffled, for almost three seasons.

However, then came the 2014 season when the Cowboys went 12-4 made the playoffs. Jerry went back to being Jerry.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't know the answer, but I wonder how many other owners grew up like JJ. His family was comfortable, but not wealthy, while he still lived at home. I think his dad made some money later in life, but Jerry worked in the family grocery store as a kid. I know exactly what that's like.

I'm guessing Jerry is one of the more relatable owners in the game.
Al Davis' father Louis worked a variety of trades in Massachusetts before settling in on the garment industry.
He then move to Brooklyn NY - and became very successful in that business. However - his son turned away from taking on the family enterprise and immersed himself in the world of college and professional football.
Don't know how many pro football owners were outsiders who got "in the club". But Davis got into the AFL during its infancy. Jerry Jones acquired the Cowboys when they were an established, popular franchise (although on the decline).

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Al Davis' father Louis worked a variety of trades in Massachusetts before settling in on the garment industry.
He then move to Brooklyn NY - and became very successful in that business. However - his son turned away from taking on the family enterprise and immersed himself in the world of college and professional football.
Don't know how many pro football owners were outsiders who got "in the club". But Davis got into the AFL during its infancy. Jerry Jones acquired the Cowboys when they were an established, popular franchise (although on the decline).

My point was 'how many current owners grew up in an upper middle class life'. Mark Davis grew up wealthy.