CFZ How important is it to have a quality kicker?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
In short: Very, very important. Here’s some evidence:
This could go on….Can we all agree having a dependable K is critical if you’re serious about winning in the playoffs? Or even just to MAKE the playoffs.

I believe the Cowboys know this. But seems like the search for a better K has been going on since Dan Bailey lost his mojo a few years ago. Here’s hoping the team finds someone better than what we’ve settled for since Bailey left.

How important is an NFL kicker? Recent history says very important.

Mucho importante.... just watch many games come down to the final seconds with a kicker either making or missing a FG... And when you have a inconsistent one, it seems like it happens more often. It's amazing to me why the Cowboys don't invest a sixth or seventh round pick on one. You can get a pretty good one when you draft one.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
If the Bills would have had a better kicker they would have won that SB against the Giants. IIRC

If the Browns would have had a good kicker they would have been 4-0 back in 2020. IIRC

So having a good kicker could make a world of difference.

Creeper

Reaction score
This could go on….Can we all agree having a dependable K is critical if you’re serious about winning in the playoffs? Or even just to MAKE the playoffs.

I believe the Cowboys know this. But seems like the search for a better K has been going on since Dan Bailey lost his mojo a few years ago. Here’s hoping the team finds someone better than what we’ve settled for since Bailey left.

It is not just FGs, it is also kickoffs. The kicker has to get the ball into the end zone in bounds just about every time. We don't need a kicker giving up long returns or worse, kicking some out of bounds to give the other team great field position.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
If truly elite QBs were easy to come by, they wouldn't be so expensive and everyone would have one. I rest my case.
Are you saying Dakota TOAD HUNTER Prescot is an elite QB.........HA-HAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Get a good QB and offense who can put the ball in the endzone on a more consistent basis and the kicker is a little less important.
You watch we set a new record for 4th down attempts in a season....

Gambling Mike just wants that record...you can feel it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Are you saying Dakota TOAD HUNTER Prescot is an elite QB.........HA-HAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
I never said he was elite, neither did I favor the monster contract they gave him. But then I didn't call him a stupid name either.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

I'm not going to deep dive here, but:
To me it's how the offense goes.
If the O can get you those TD's, then things are fine.

If the coach knows that the O can get there, but not finish the deal, then a good kicker is needed for points.

And this is an evaluation that should go on throughout the season as the offense goes.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You need to be able to make a 45 yard FG and be dam near perfect on extra points. You won't win much if you consistently rely on FG's for the majority of your points.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I never said he was elite, neither did I favor the monster contract they gave him. But then I didn't call him a stupid name either.
It's stupid, he earned this great name! He's got to be the only QB in the NFL who raked his team over the coals with the outrageous contract and can't beat the average teams in the NFL AND NEVER shows up for the meaningful games! Toadie makes his living off of beating toads in the NFL, THUS the name: Dakota "Toad Hunter" Prescot!

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

I would just be happy with one that is automatic on XP and FG under 40 yards. Above that is just icing on the cake.

jnday

Reaction score
Salary cap numbers say 'not all that important.' It's not just the clowns in our FO that don't value kickers all that much. They're not valued much around the league, as evidenced by their relatively paltry earnings.
Jerry has plenty of cap room to sign the best kicker in the league, but his dumb , tightwad son refuses to spend the money to sign a good kicker. They will lose 3-4 games this year because of their stupidity.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's so important, Gruden wasted a 1st rounder on a kicker.

I wouldn't say you need to spend a 1st rounder on a kicker. But a good kicker can really help you.

Look at how much Younghoe Koo does for his team. He's an asset.

A top 5 kicker can be an asset. And I wish the Cowboys would get a good kicker in here.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Agreed. A reliable and consistent K is a needed weapon. The Jones Boys don’t seem too worried about investing any resources in upgrading the position though.

Brett Maher come on down! What could possibly go wrong with this plan?
Mike Vanderjagt and Zeuerlein scared them from that

Blackrain

Reaction score
As important as living in the mountains and having four-wheel drive on your truck

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Mike Vanderjagt and Zeuerlein scared them from that

Yep. Same reason we are gun shy and don’t dip into free agency anymore— it “didn’t work” therefore we “adjust” and simply do away with the idea entirely.

IMO this is Stephen as opposed to JJ. SJ is cap-conscious and risk averse. We got burned a couple times so he is afraid to swing big— except on signing his own guys.

Which ironically has hurt our cap many times worse than the free agent misses we have had. SJ consistently over-values his own players and over-pays old and under-performing players.

Throw in his confirmation bias and you basically have a FO in denial and believes they are making great decisions and that their “method” is working just fine.

It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so damn tragic and the movie wasn’t on a never-ending loop lol

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Funny how there are so few options in a position that is so critical in determining the outcome of a game..

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It's stupid, he earned this great name! He's got to be the only QB in the NFL who raked his team over the coals with the outrageous contract and can't beat the average teams in the NFL AND NEVER shows up for the meaningful games! Toadie makes his living off of beating toads in the NFL, THUS the name: Dakota "Toad Hunter" Prescot!

:rolleyes: