How long can we keep Garrett?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Garrett has it made right where he is. He has complete control of the offense and calls all the plays, has a solid assistant in Sparano, and doesn't have any interference from Phillips. He also doesn't have to deal with the media as the HC nor does he have to worry about the defense. In a couple of years, he can step into the best coaching job in all of sports, HC of the Dallas Cowboys.

You think he would want to leave and take over the Giants or Browns? Not me!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Really, the only way to keep him here is to do what Snyder did in Washington with Gregg Williams -- sign him to a FAT contract that pays more than many HC positions.

All this stuff about "promises" is BS. You'd have to be an idiot to go with a promise over a shot at a good HC position.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I'm scared to death, I have to be honest. He's certain to get at least one head coaching offer next season, there's no doubt about it. And let's be honest here, since we're among friends - Garrett is the engine behind this team's performance this season.

We're going to lose RedBall after this season, and it frightens the bleep out of me.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
TheSkaven;1669172 said:
I'm scared to death, I have to be honest. He's certain to get at least one head coaching offer next season, there's no doubt about it. And let's be honest here, since we're among friends - Garrett is the engine behind this team's performance this season.

We're going to lose RedBall after this season, and it frightens the bleep out of me.

i don't think we'll lose him. he came to dallas out of choice to leave miami. he wants to be here and hey - we all love him for it. it's just a matter of what do we have to do when the season is over to keep him? i'm sure jerry jones will see he's got "gold" and keep it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
iceberg;1669210 said:
i don't think we'll lose him. he came to dallas out of choice to leave miami. he wants to be here and hey - we all love him for it. it's just a matter of what do we have to do when the season is over to keep him? i'm sure jerry jones will see he's got "gold" and keep it.

I agree and would expect that he will get more money and the title of assistant HC.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1669212 said:
I agree and would expect that he will get more money and the title of assistant HC.

We already have an assistant HC, don't we? Someone who we didn't allow to interview for other positions last year. Ringing any bells?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
abersonc;1669219 said:
We already have an assistant HC, don't we? Someone who we didn't allow to interview for other positions last year. Ringing any bells?

Yes Sapprano is the assistant HC currently.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER;1669150 said:
Garrett has it made right where he is. He has complete control of the offense and calls all the plays, has a solid assistant in Sparano, and doesn't have any interference from Phillips. He also doesn't have to deal with the media as the HC nor does he have to worry about the defense. In a couple of years, he can step into the best coaching job in all of sports, HC of the Dallas Cowboys.

You think he would want to leave and take over the Giants or Browns? Not me!
Completely agree.

That deserves two of these :hammer: :hammer:

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
dthahn;1668845 said:
Don't worry, JG will be our head coach for many years and the Cowboys will become the all-time greatest NFL franchise in history.

JG will be our head coach for many years and the Cowboys MAINTAIN IT'S CURRENT POSITION as the all-time greatest NFL franchise in history.

FIXED!

proline

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;1669275 said:
Jerry is even smarter than Garrett, no way he lets Garrett walk...

Uhhh, he let Jimmy Johnson get away. That kind of "smart" we can do without.

proline

Reaction score
THUMPER;1669150 said:
Garrett ... has a solid assistant in Sparano ...

Sparano is not Garrett's assistant. As others have noted, Sparano is actually the assistant head coach right now, and according to all reports is an excellent coach in his own right.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
proline;1669289 said:
Uhhh, he let Jimmy Johnson get away. That kind of "smart" we can do without.

Jimmy wanted to return to Florida according to Jimmy. Jerry took all the blame but 2 people were involved in this.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I'm sorry, i just don't see teams lining to grab a guy who has had one good season, after being a QB's coach and worse the last few years.

you people need to seriously think sometimes. This is his first year calling plays, hell his first year doing anything majorly important. Who is going to want to give a HC coaching job to basically a rookie at coaching.

I guess when you're 3-0 you don't have much to whine about eh?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dargonking999;1669294 said:
I'm sorry, i just don't see teams lining to grab a guy who has had one good season, after being a QB's coach and worse the last few years.

you people need to seriously think sometimes. This is his first year calling plays, hell his first year doing anything majorly important. Who is going to want to give a HC coaching job to basically a rookie at coaching.

Lane Kiffin is 31 years old and was hired by the Raiders and While Garrett has some inexperiance in the coaching ranks Garrett has spent a life time growing up around the NFL game. I don't think it is that far fetched to think a team would show interest in him

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
You guys are looking at this solely from the fans perspective, OMG were having too much success and the rest of the NFL is gonna come after us, conspire to ruin our next dynasty before it even gets off the ground.

To a certain extent those fears are warranted. Teams do raid the more succesful teams to fill vacancies. Always worked that way.

However, Garrett's an unsual situation. Assuming we did make a serious run to the superbowl, I'm not so sure he gets a head coaching offer.

Garrett's a very inexperienced coach. I had absolutely no concerns with him taking over as OC given his background. It was perfectly suited to succeed as a QB coach and OC. But HC is a very different animal. I dont think he's ready to be a HC and I dont think there's a team that will think he is either.

I also believe the league understands the unique dynamic at work with the Garrett/Dallas/Jones relationship. Garrett doesnt want to leave Dallas and Jones doesnt want to lose him.

A HC job offer for Garrett in 2008 just doesnt fit.
Now 2009 could be a different story.

dfense

Reaction score
I hear Sean payton's going to be available soon. ha ha h a ha

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dargonking999;1669294 said:

what board you on? there's ref whining going on, whining about cleveland, whining about the whiners...ain't no shortage of whining in these parts. :)

but when you consider what a "veteran" coach is doing to san deigo - it's quite possible norv will be out after 1 year. wade has come in and taken the talent up notch in performance. norval is killing a powerhouse 1 week at a time. if they lose another game look for minor implosions coming out of san deigo.

that said, if they see a promising young guy on the horizon, yes they'll go after him. what else is there when you have to hire norv?