How many of you would take less?

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
The market, as perceived by the Cowboys and Dak, will decide how much more. As for asking me to name that amount, I would think his market value would be somewhere a little above what Wentz signed for last year, but again, I don't know that any of us know every detail of the current salary cap, or the one that is being worked on to simply make a clear determination on what players can be paid, or how much we would have to sacrifice at other positions to pay for Dak.
so, are you saying if the cowboys accomplish nothing this offseason besides increasing one of their players pay a significant amount from last seasons team, they will be better? Does dak getting a huge pay raise make him better at football? Is that why we only won 8 games last year because he didn’t make more money?

Dak never lacks confidence according to his word puke during the seAson in meaningless wins/losses. He had a self proclaimed “heat check” after those big bad wins in first 3 games this season, remember?
He just goes back to work and learns from It and then tries harder.

he is about to hit free agency and then he will learn his value in the nfl. And it ain’t very high

Last edited:

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
I wouldn’t. For two reasons. First this is my first big contract(in Daks situations) if it was my second I might be less inclined to chase that dollar. Second this is the bro and contract are no guaranteed. They want me to take good faith and take a paycut and play it out but as soon as I or the team underperform(from their perspective) they’re goin to cut me, judiciously, and move on

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so, are you saying if the cowboys accomplish nothing this offseason besides increasing one of their players pay a significant amount from last seasons team, they will be better? Does dak getting a huge pay raise make him better at football? Is that why we only won 8 games last year because he didn’t make more money?
No, I did not say that. I said that's possible, but that doesn't mean that's what I would rely on. The team obviously still needs to see what they can upgrade through free agency and the draft, and that's true whether they sign Dak or not.

Obviously your last 2 questions are just geared toward a narrow minded narrative rather than a reasonable discussion. If 8-8 means Dak is a terrible QB, then 13-3 and tied for the best record in the NFL in 2016 must have meant he was an outstanding QB. So was Dak a ultra talented in March of 2017? By your own measure, he would have been.

Obviously the reality is that a QB's talent doesn't go up and down depending on the team record in each individual season. Was Aaron Rodgers a terrible QB worth giving up on after he went 6-9-1 in 2018? Of course not, but that's the kind of measure you are applying to Dak. And then in 2019 the Packers went 13-3, so did Rodgers magically go from being terrible to outstanding between 2018 and 2019?

The other reality is the record is not solely the responsibility of the QB. But hey, if you are going that route, at least recognize Dak has averaged 10 wins per year rather than taking the worst record of his career and pretending that is representative of his career.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak never lacks confidence according to his word puke during the seAson in meaningless wins/losses. He had a self proclaimed “heat check” after those big bad wins in first 3 games this season, remember?
He just goes back to work and learns from It and then tries harder.

he is about to hit free agency and then he will learn his value in the nfl. And it ain’t very high
Dak must have taken your sister's virtue. lol. You seem to have an irrational grudge against him.

Dak was inconsistent this last season, as was the entire team. There is no question about that. But that happens in the lives of players and teams. Not even Tom Brady and the Patriots are as good every year as the year before, and that's especially true with all the lesser teams and QB's.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
One thing that would help is to quit drafting bums on defense with our 1st and 2nd round picks. Byron can't even catch the coronavirus, Randy couldn't lay off the weed, flipper needed his drop foot to heal and has already cashed in, LVE has a neck issue, Hill is a lazy bum, Taco was already thrown out with the trash. Hard to get a defense when you're dedicating draft resources and they aren't panning out.

id be willing to bet Byron Jones is a starter in the nfl longer than dak prescott is.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
It's ridiculously funny to me that some keep saying "take less"!!!! Would you settle? Less money for your family? Less money for a career that might be cut short with and injury! Less money for a team that will cut you as soon as you slip? What the hell?? I get it, salary cap....blah, blah ,blah. I wouldn't settle and I sure as hell don't blame anyone that would.
I don't blame him, nor would I pay him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't blame him, nor would I pay him.
Assuming Dak doesn't get overly ridiculous (like asking for $40 MM/year and $120MM guaranteed), what's the alternative? Rush? Another team's reject? A QB with the #17 overall pick that is unlikely to be as good as Dak?

I get the point - even at market value it's a hell of a lot of money. But it's a lot easier to say we shouldn't pay him than it is to say what the alternative is.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It's ridiculously funny to me that some keep saying "take less"!!!! Would you settle? Less money for your family? Less money for a career that might be cut short with and injury! Less money for a team that will cut you as soon as you slip? What the hell?? I get it, salary cap....blah, blah ,blah. I wouldn't settle and I sure as hell don't blame anyone that would.
The thing about taking less..

usually begins with one side starting out high knowing you have room to come down to agree.

And the other side starting out low knowing you can come up to get a deal done..

The problem here is..

neither side is playing the game well.

A Tag is coming as is some radioactive feelings.

I think McCarthy may have to step in and talk to Dak about what he wants from his QB.

It might form some common ground to work things out.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The thing about taking less..

usually begins with one side starting out high knowing you have room to come down to agree.

And the other side starting out low knowing you can come up to get a deal done..

The problem here is..

neither side is playing the game well.

A Tag is coming as is some radioactive feelings.
I think a tag is coming like it did with D-Law, meaning it will just be used to hold onto Dak's rights until a new contract can get done.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
What do you want to bet?
And Amari maybe less than either one.

As much as I like Amari, he got me very worried as his season unraveled in 2019.

We really needed him to play lights out but he only showed up for two games after Thanksgiving and his game against the Eagles was only exceeded by the one against the Pats.

Those games showed to me he lacks toughness. He is like a race horse.

Some run in the mud, some on a dry field.

Some come out of the gate and never look back, others watch the race from the back then pass on the outside.

I have not seen which Amari is yet. But he ain't no murder, I know that.

kskboys

Reaction score
What do you want to bet?
Most CB's are done around the age of 31. And Byron is the guy who gets by mostly on his physical skillset. When that starts to fade, he'll be done.

Dak is a legit NFL starter. He may not be top 10, but he is legit. Barring major injury, he'll be starting for 10+ more years. Dak will most likely come close to doubling years started of Byron.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Right now, they better be flying around in charter jets...

visionary

Reaction score

I’m already taking less buddy

I told them to take 0.01% of my salary this year and pay you for the next 10 years in advance

:grin:

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
I'm fine with trading some of those linemen. I don't recall any of them taking pay cuts like you keep wanting Dak to do.

And the Cowboys have enough money to sign Amari and Dak. Its not a either or thing.

I didn't know O line players make QB money. O line money is pennies... I wouldn't expect them to be asked to take pay cuts..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I would not...the business side is the business side. I would have asked for $45M......