How Many QB's Passed Dak In Your QB Ranking This Year

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
I prefer to go by tiers, as the players in the tiers are so close to each other.

Tier 1: - In no particular order

Mahomes
Allen
Brady
Rodgers
Wilson - It wasn't his best year, but he's proven he's in this tier and his team was just crap this year.

Tier 2: - In no particular order except the first 2. These are the guys that are just a tiny step down from the tier 1, but better then the jumble of guys in tier 3

Burrows (He may already be in that tier 1, if not he will be soon
Herbert - Same as Burrows
Stafford

Tier 3 - in no particular order. These are the guys who aren't close to tier 1 and you could make an argument for any of them being better then other, because they all have enough worts to their game

Carr
Dak
Wentz
Kirk Cousins
Matt Ryan
Jimmy G
Lamar Jackson
Baker Mayfield
Jamies Winston
Ryan Tanehill
Mac Jones

That is 19 QB's right there. Tier 4 is the rest, then there is a category of your very talented players that are still unknown because they play on terrible teams or are behind better players. I would put 3 players in that category in my opinion. Zach Wilson, Justin Fields and Trey Lance. They could jump to category 3 or even 2 next year.

Tier 3 is such a jumble of players that aren't bad, but I also wouldn't say are great and some are better then others. I think the first rule is don't pay tier 1 money for a tier 3 players, Jerry and Stephen already did this. Anyone would ranks Dak higher then 8th I just think you can't take seriously and even that is stretching it. Taking tier 3 into account I put Dak at 14, but I could easily make the argument he's 17 as well. Either way he's vastly overpaid and the difference in tier 3 from 14-17 is just so little. Pretty much the Cowboys overpaid and we are stuck with a tier 3 player at a tier 1 price. That makes it tough to build a team when that overpaid player can't play his part on that team.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
yes, one of the best OLs in the league...they supported him by rushing the ball, they were 8th in rush attempts and 8th in rushing...they only passed 46 more times than they ran the ball....
Their defense was 2nd in the league....

they also have the GOAT coach at the helm (vs. Garrett who is at the opposite end).

so Mac Jones showed as much as Dak in his rookie year, or less. he threw 3801, 22 TDs and 13 Ints....vs Daks's 3667 23 and 4...
the team went 13-3 Dak's rookie season vs. Mac Jones 10-7. Dak had the one footed Dez Bryant, and the HOF in the making Cole Beasley (sound the horns) and a 34 year old TE dallas was trying to repalce for a few years in the few years before....not exactly much better than what NE had

so no, Mac Jones rookie season isn't better than Dak's rookie season..... and Dak took the great Rodgers to the brink in the playoffs, barring a last minute field goal, vs. the egg NE laid at the bills....

he was a bus driver.....potential if you compare rookie seasons is the same at this point. one has the luck of learning from Bilicheck.

you are allowing the current Dak and your anger towards him cloud your judgement.

If you actually watched Jones play you would have noticed the things he does that Dak doesn't. All that gets missed when you focus on the stats alone.

The Patriots sucked in 2019 with Brady. They sucked in 2020 with a depleted roster and Newton at QB. They got some opt-outs back in 2021 but lost Edleman. Their o-line is mostly a collection of late round picks.

Dak had the #1 rushing game, the best o-line in the league and arguably the best in team history. He spit the bit in the playoffs against GB's atrocious secondary. He made a couple plays to one legged Dez but his clueless interception, which the defense bailed him out of, killed a drive and cost time. The defense did bail him out though, setting him up near mid-field then we all watched him throw three straight incompletions from inside the fifteen, which just highlighted a couple of his weaknesses that persist to this day.

My point had nothing to do with who had the best rookie season, though. My point was that, in a vacuum Jones showed more long term potential in his rookie season then Dak did.

We can revisit this in a couple seasons. Just last year people here were arguing that Allen was not as good as Dak....

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
Before the season, I thought he had a chance to move into top 5 territory. Going into next season, I think he has trouble cracking top 10.

Allen, Burrow, Herbert surpassed him.

Dak is more on par with Carr, Cousins, Tannehill. That's OK too. After all, Dak was a 4th rounder, and almost all of the top rated guys were 1st rd picks. We just need our coaches to realize this and gameplan accordingly. Defenses we faced this year realized it, and that's how they figured us out

After this past weekend, how many of your top QBs dropped in your rankings? Is it possible that the potential MVP of the league who went 1 and done actually drops in your rankings? I wonder if Green Bay fans are blaming Aaron Rodgers for their loss? I know for a fact, that Thomas Edward Patrick Oshay Brady, who had a 14 QBR btw, won't get any blame for their loss. These are two HOF QBs that stunk it up this past weekend and all I hear is blame deflection. OUR team commits a team record 14 penalties and surrender 5 sacks, but half of OUR fanbase blames their 4th round QB? Brady's record now is 4-8 when he gets sacked more than 3 whole times. Rodgers couldn't muster more than 10 points OR throw a TD pass in his embarrassing loss to the squad that beat us. Tannehill doesn't register on my list. Tannehill, a number one seed, practically gave his ball game away with three picks at home. Can't blame deflect that one away either. Mahommes and Allen had an instant classic. These two are the real deal.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you actually watched Jones play you would have noticed the things he does that Dak doesn't. All that gets missed when you focus on the stats alone.

The Patriots sucked in 2019 with Brady. They sucked in 2020 with a depleted roster and Newton at QB. They got some opt-outs back in 2021 but lost Edleman. Their o-line is mostly a collection of late round picks.

Dak had the #1 rushing game, the best o-line in the league and arguably the best in team history. He spit the bit in the playoffs against GB's atrocious secondary. He made a couple plays to one legged Dez but his clueless interception, which the defense bailed him out of, killed a drive and cost time. The defense did bail him out though, setting him up near mid-field then we all watched him throw three straight incompletions from inside the fifteen, which just highlighted a couple of his weaknesses that persist to this day.

My point had nothing to do with who had the best rookie season, though. My point was that, in a vacuum Jones showed more long term potential in his rookie season then Dak did.

We can revisit this in a couple seasons. Just last year people here were arguing that Allen was not as good as Dak....
I have watched Jones play. didn't see much difference between Dak rookie season and Jones rookie season.

your dak hatred and this past couple of years are clouding your judgement. put the tape in for Dak rookie and Jones rookie and watch them side by side.

Patriots had the 8th best rushing gme. 8th in total attempts. passed only 45 times more than ran it...had the #2 defense. 4th most turnovers, often giving their offense a short field....

the fact they sucked in 2020 is testament to how bad Newton was....we saw exactly the same in Carolina....and until injuries nobody wanted to sign him

like I said, I watched both. I see similar rookies at the time.... Mac Jones ain't that much better or worse....I saw similar potentials. and btw, Jones was a high first round pick. he better have more potential in his rookie year than a late fourth round pick in his rookie year....

not sure why you are arguing this? what difference does it make? you want to say Dak is ranked lower and he sucks. just say it. and feel good about it. you don't need to justify anything to anybody.

starfan1

Reaction score
I have watched Jones play. didn't see much difference between Dak rookie season and Jones rookie season.

your dak hatred and this past couple of years are clouding your judgement. put the tape in for Dak rookie and Jones rookie and watch them side by side.

Patriots had the 8th best rushing gme. 8th in total attempts. passed only 45 times more than ran it...had the #2 defense. 4th most turnovers, often giving their offense a short field....

the fact they sucked in 2020 is testament to how bad Newton was....we saw exactly the same in Carolina....and until injuries nobody wanted to sign him

like I said, I watched both. I see similar rookies at the time.... Mac Jones ain't that much better or worse....I saw similar potentials. and btw, Jones was a high first round pick. he better have more potential in his rookie year than a late fourth round pick in his rookie year....

not sure why you are arguing this? what difference does it make? you want to say Dak is ranked lower and he sucks. just say it. and feel good about it. you don't need to justify anything to anybody.

there certainly is alot of Dak hatred on this site and it increased over the last 2 weeks. that said i agree with most of your post here what I do believe though is that Mac Jones has a higher ceiling. We have probably seen daks ceiling Mac is only going to get better

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

Notice how you guys always assign emotion to the words you read? Don't do that. You have no idea how the writer feels. It is an interesting commonality you guys have.

Why do you keep pointing out that the Pats "passed only 45 times more than ran it"? The 2016 Cowboys ran it 16 times more than they passed it.

Why am I "arguing" about it? This thread is literally a QB comparison thread.

Like I already said, and you ignored.... My point has nothing to do with overall team accomplishments or even overall individual QB accomplishments. It is the what they show on each individual play. That is what I use to critique players, rookie or veteran. Overall stats and rankings are useful but they hide a lot of things, both good and bad at times.

All the stuff you are saying here was said about Allen, and even Mahomes by a select few.

Jones ceiling is higher than Dak's.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Notice how you guys always assign emotion to the words you read? Don't do that. You have no idea how the writer feels. It is an interesting commonality you guys have.

Why do you keep pointing out that the Pats "passed only 45 times more than ran it"? The 2016 Cowboys ran it 16 times more than they passed it.

Why am I "arguing" about it? This thread is literally a QB comparison thread.

Like I already said, and you ignored.... My point has nothing to do with overall team accomplishments or even overall individual QB accomplishments. It is the what they show on each individual play. That is what I use to critique players, rookie or veteran. Overall stats and rankings are useful but they hide a lot of things, both good and bad at times.

All the stuff you are saying here was said about Allen, and even Mahomes by a select few.

Jones ceiling is higher than Dak's.
:huh:

my point is that the teams were run based to protect the QB having to win games for them..... you are looking at it the wrong way.

good for you to think Jones ceiling is higher than Dak. if you didn't have the past 5 years, you wouldn't be saying this....I bet if Jones was a rookie in 2016 and you would be here arguing how much better Dak will be.

with that said, Jones better have a higher ceiling. he was a top 1st round draft pick. Dak was a late 4th round pick....in rookie year, it matters. few years later, it doesn't.

and you are welcome to your opinion. its not a fact ...its an opinion.....

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Dak will be very lucky to reach the Top-5 at any point in the next 5-7 years. For the moment, these older QBs are still better:
Rodgers
Brady
Wilson

And then these younger QBs are either already better now or will be very soon:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Watson

And then there are two current QBs that are known for their running ability but I'd still take them over Dak:
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray

Based on potential, still a long way to go but you have to think at least one of these rookie QBs ends up being great too (not all of them will be busts):
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Mac Jones

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
:huh:

my point is that the teams were run based to protect the QB having to win games for them..... you are looking at it the wrong way.

good for you to think Jones ceiling is higher than Dak. if you didn't have the past 5 years, you wouldn't be saying this....I bet if Jones was a rookie in 2016 and you would be here arguing how much better Dak will be.

with that said, Jones better have a higher ceiling. he was a top 1st round draft pick. Dak was a late 4th round pick....in rookie year, it matters. few years later, it doesn't.

and you are welcome to your opinion. its not a fact ...its an opinion.....
I actually made the same point. I just found it odd that you kept referencing the run/pass differential in such a specific manner since it didn't add to much to your argument. Be honest now, did you even know that the 2016 cowboys had more running attempts than passing attempts?

I called Dak for what he is right after the conclusion of his rookie season and he has proven me right. He had me wavering a bit after the start to 2019 but he reverted, like this year.

So, no. I would be saying this if Jones was a rookie in 2016.

Ceiling doesn't matter after the rookie year? I'd say ceiling matter the most about 5 or 6 years into a career.

Thank you so much for allowing me to have an opinion. You can have one too.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The thing you are missing is they are ROOKIES. No one cares if ROOKIES throw picks it's expected. People are looking to see if you a can MAKE PLAYS. If the answer is yes, then you have to hope they can play under pressure and also learn to limit mistakes. Lawrence's potential is in a completely different universe than Dak.

Potential means you haven’t done anything yet and Trevor Lawrence hasn’t done anything yet at the NFL level. He only won three games and his team is going to have the number one overall pick. In 17 games he only came up with 12 TD passes compared to 17 INTs. There’s been several rookie QBs that have come out that looked better than him including Dak. He may end up being a great QB someday but he’s not nearly there yet and he certainly isn’t currently better than Dak. Dak makes plays and anyone trying to spin that he doesn’t is a Dak hater.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Herbert should be one of the elite QBs in the game assuming the Chargers get him legit receivers and a decent oline.

Dak has nowhere the abilities this kid has. When you think about Dak think about a downgraded Donovan McNabb without the play making ability.

What exactly has Herbert done? Two years, no playoff appearances.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dak will be very lucky to reach the Top-5 at any point in the next 5-7 years. For the moment, these older QBs are still better:
Rodgers
Brady
Wilson

And then these younger QBs are either already better now or will be very soon:
Mahomes
Allen
Burrow
Herbert
Watson

And then there are two current QBs that are known for their running ability but I'd still take them over Dak:
Lamar Jackson
Kyler Murray

Based on potential, still a long way to go but you have to think at least one of these rookie QBs ends up being great too (not all of them will be busts):
Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance
Mac Jones
im spry we are talking right NOW

some are close to retirement and wont be here 5-7 years from now so let's stay in the now

I reshuffled you list

1Mahomes
2Rogers
3Brady soon to retire
4Allen

5 Burrow only if they prove over the next few years, they can main this
6 Herbert "

this can be debated in any order not one stands it Better than the other 7-11

7 wilson
8 Dak
9 Watson
10 Lamar Jackson
11 Kyler Murray

sorry they won't be better than dak maybe in line but lets stay in the now

so daks top 10 no matter how you choose to fill out lists can be 6-10 easily you should be abole to win AS A TEAM with top 6-10 qb easily!!

Trevor Lawrence
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Trey Lance

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I actually made the same point. I just found it odd that you kept referencing the run/pass differential in such a specific manner since it didn't add to much to your argument. Be honest now, did you even know that the 2016 cowboys had more running attempts than passing attempts?

I called Dak for what he is right after the conclusion of his rookie season and he has proven me right. He had me wavering a bit after the start to 2019 but he reverted, like this year.

So, no. I would be saying this if Jones was a rookie in 2016.

Ceiling doesn't matter after the rookie year? I'd say ceiling matter the most about 5 or 6 years into a career.

Thank you so much for allowing me to have an opinion. You can have one too.
yes I did, given I had done past analysis....my point was that both were bus drivers pretty much...one benefited playing under Bilicheck....don't discount that factor....

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Dak made the playoffs as a rookie. Why didn't Lawrenc make the playoffs?
I would think this is such an obvious question that it doesn't need answering, but apparently it does. No one in their right mind expects (or cares if) the #1 pick as a QB makes the playoffs as a rookie. You are joining a terrible team. All you are hoping for is that the guy gives you reason to believe he MAY become an elite player. Lawrence clearly did that if you watched him play at all.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
One of the many painful aspects of Dak's team destroying contract is going to be watching other (usually) highly drafted QB's sail pass this 4th rounder in QB ranking.

I am wondering which QB's you think moved past Dak this season in terms of your personal QB rankings? For me there are 4 that have put the question officially to rest:
Burrow
Allen (I realize some already had him ahead)
Herbert
Stafford

Who left Dak behind this year in your QB ranking?

Allen solidified himself as definitely above Dak for sure. I always like Stafford, but if I had to take a QB for one game it would probably be stafford over Dak. But you put Dak on the Rams and they are probably right where the Rams are now.

Hebert and Burrows are both the same. Young QB's that appear to have more talent then Dak at throwing the football. What type of leaders are they going to be? Those two are still an argument. If were talking starting a team, I take both as they are younger.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would think this is such an obvious question that it doesn't need answering, but apparently it does. No one in their right mind expects (or cares if) the #1 pick as a QB makes the playoffs as a rookie. You are joining a terrible team. All you are hoping for is that the guy gives you reason to believe he MAY become an elite player. Lawrence clearly did that if you watched him play at all.

I didnt think Lawrence looked good. Granted he had a awful HC and system. Lawrence is going to have to show more then he did to be a good QB in this league.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak is not on Herberts planet. Stop giving football opinions if you don’t see that one my gosh.

If the NFL had a QB draft the first guys getting picked would be Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert in whatever order.

You are the LAST person in the world to be in a QB conversation. You are unqualified.

When Hebert stops choking away seasons and games, then we can talk. Love the kids talent, but he keeps blowing it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You are the LAST person in the world to be in a QB conversation. You are unqualified.

When Hebert stops choking away seasons and games, then we can talk. Love the kids talent, but he keeps blowing it.

Youre a Dak delusional that uses whack stats to form an opinion. Leave the football to me.