How many remember the Columbia House mail-order record club?

DanteEXT

Reaction score
It wasn't, as long as you stayed on top of it. They often had deals, the details of which I don't recall, but you could still fulfill your commitment while paying less for albums than you would in a store.
The one that I remember (sorta) was buy one at regular price, get X number either a percentage off or it might have been just a specific price. That's how I remember fulfilling the requirements.

Plankton

Reaction score
Did it a ton in my teen years. Was able to experiment with trying out music and artists that I hadn't heard a lot of - built up my early jazz collection quite a bit through Columbia and BMG. Those were the days.

rynochop

Reaction score
I got a ton from both companies, me and a buddy used each other's addresses and my folks business address.
Never paid anything to them, its not like they had your social security number to put it on your credit.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It wasn't, as long as you stayed on top of it. They often had deals, the details of which I don't recall, but you could still fulfill your commitment while paying less for albums than you would in a store.
Yea.
I don't remember the details but I do remember doing the math and it came out to be about half price, all said and done.

They had 'buy one get one at half price' deals that would count against your obligation.

Definitely a good way to build a collection as long as you stayed on top of it.