How much credit does McCarthy deserve?

Toro9

Reaction score
It's always hard to tell what exactly an HC does

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Jerry doesn't get a "told you so" for a couple of playoff wins. After 3 playoff wins in 26 years it's going to require something bigger.

He's the one who said "Super Bowl or bust" and I'm holding him to it. At least get to one before telling us his way is the right way.
Well I somewhat agree but in the end 2 play off wins would tell me, that we are finally going into the right direction. Anything but a one and out would be an improvement.

But in the end after such a long time anything but a superbowl win just won't cut it anymore. True true true.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Yah, he deserves a lot of credit for finally doing something after the situation forced him to. He was forced to finally deal with Moore and refusing to run the ball. Their desperation forced them to finally give Pollard the touches he should have gotten a while ago. And with Dak’s injury, they were forced to play a QB who can read defenses, get rid of the ball, and can throw an accurate pass. And defense has played a large part and that is all Quinn. Remember MM’s choice of DC ? Without all these developments that forced action, MM would still be sitting back as an observer cashing his checks.

Last edited:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy has done a great job steering this ship. With the reduced penalties in the last game, some discipline may be setting in too. He deserves all the credit in the world. Now if he keeps it going, I don't care whether he gets credit or not. I know where it's due. Remember the great record against the NFC East? Success starts with your division.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You have to give him a lot of credit because if we were sitting here 0-4 or 1-3 he would be receiving most of the blame and be likely out of a job at the end of the season if not before. This board would be littered with fire McCarthy threads every Sunday if we were losing. We’re winning with a backup QB so you have to give him a lot of credit. It wasn’t that long ago when the Cowboys could never win with a backup QB.

XXLMike

Reaction score
We’re 3-1 after being 12-5 - he’s the head coach ;
15-7 his last 22 games .

I’d say he deserves a helluva lot of credit .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
MM gets blamed when we lose, therefore he deserves credit when we win.

To win 3 games with a backup QB is not an easy task, especially after the sky was falling after the L in week one.

I will criticize him when he deserves it, but I will also give him credit when he deserves it. He gets a ton of credit for coaching his staff well, and positioning his team to play good enough to win.

There is a long way to go, and many flaws to address, but he has done well thus far IMO
Here's to you Big Mac!
:thumbup:

RoboQB

Reaction score
Big Mike deserves credit.
The Sean Payton talk is dead.
Someone tell Jerry.

GINeric

Reaction score
I think McCarthy is a good coach I always find it funny when people say he only won a SB because he had Rodgers, by that standard you could say the same about almost any coach. Belicheck won because of Brady, Andy Reid only won because of Mahommes, Bill Walsh because of Montana.

You know what happens when people say MM only won a Superbowl because of Rodgers????

I ask them how many Superbowls have Rodgers won with MM??? (crickets)

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
MM has built a good coaching staff. The only two questionable coaches are Philbin who is looking GREAT right now and Moore who seems to be doing better coaching with constraint.

I like what they are doing and how he coaches. I'm a McCarthy fan.

Cmac

Reaction score
Look how Mike Tomlin is doing without Ben R. That should tell you a lot. Steelers are 1-3 and would be 0-4 had the bengals challenged the Jamar chase no td call.
What is this telling us about Mike McCarthy?

Aven8

Reaction score
The proof is in the pudding. Unlike JG where just the LT goes down and the season is gone, Mike perseveres. He’s won in the past with Flynn, Hundley, and now Rush at QB. When we played them in GB “Dez catch game” his defense was decimated and Rogers was on one leg. He just doesn’t panic folks and the next man up philosophy is really a thing with him

phildadon86

Reaction score
Afterall....the Cowboys are 3-1. He's kept it together and deserves some credit.
Considering his predecessor won 1 game with backup quarterbacks not named Dak Prescott McCarthy deserves a freaking statue for his ability to motivate these guys to win games when QB1 goes down is more than commendable.

Strol

Reaction score
Look how Mike Tomlin is doing without Ben R. That should tell you a lot. Steelers are 1-3 and would be 0-4 had the bengals challenged the Jamar chase no td call.

If Parsons got hurt week one Dallas would be 1-3 or 0-4. Watt got hurt. Neither coach really matters that much.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe McC deals with more than any other HC in the NFL. He has to keep the Joneses happy, and front and center, while trying to have some impact and respect with his coaches and players.

This is a HC that did not hire his own DC and I do not believe he hired the OC either and he has had to deal with this Payton crap which Booger likes because it's bonus coverage.

How many HC's do you recall their owner stating he would like a QB controversy? That's what an attention whorre his owner has become and no HC has ever dealt with anything approaching it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Afterall....the Cowboys are 3-1. He's kept it together and deserves some credit.
The sounds of the game videos show that they are playing together as a team.

In contrast, remember when DWare and Witten couldn't contain Dez on the sideline?

Remember when CB Terence Newman shoved DB coach Campo.

Remember Greg Hardy and Garrett's inability to coach him?