CFZ How Much Decision-Making Authority Does Jerry Jones Possess As GM?

How much actual authority does Jones have as GM?

• Total voters

Havic

Reaction score
Jerry has learned to defer to McClay and the organization has drafted considerably better because of it. Hell, he doesnt even chase the big prized free agents anymore.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
One of the best decisions Jones has made post-Jimmy Johnson was arguably the hiring of Will McClay. As the eventual Cowboys Vice-President of Player Personnel, McClay helped re-structure more sound scouting communications and talent evaluation. McClay has proven to be a valuable asset under Jones.

Is McClay, and others within Jones' decision-making process, providing roster suggestions that Jones simply rubberstamps with his approval? Or does an individual who, regularly attends press conferences, is frequently interviewed on radio shows, talks with players one-on-one like his coaching staff, attends practices and coach/player meetings, hosts drafts in a lavish room with his throne positioned center stage for network cameras, etc...

...makes far more yes and no decisions about his roster (and coaches) than it may appear from the outside looking in? And to what degree?
Jerry Dumbo GM Jones " I intend to have an understanding of jocks and socks".

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
One of the best decisions Jones has made post-Jimmy Johnson was arguably the hiring of Will McClay. As the eventual Cowboys Vice-President of Player Personnel, McClay helped re-structure more sound scouting communications and talent evaluation. McClay has proven to be a valuable asset under Jones.

Is McClay, and others within Jones' decision-making process, providing roster suggestions that Jones simply rubberstamps with his approval? Or does an individual who, regularly attends press conferences, is frequently interviewed on radio shows, talks with players one-on-one like his coaching staff, attends practices and coach/player meetings, hosts drafts in a lavish room with his throne positioned center stage for network cameras, etc...

...makes far more yes and no decisions about his roster (and coaches) than it may appear from the outside looking in? And to what degree?
However much is too much.
We need a professional GM in the worse way.
The current GM has no owner to be accountable too.
27 years of mediocrity says we need a change.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He trusts Stephen and McClay with the menial decisions/duties, but he only trusts himself for the more important stuff.

That way, Jerry can claim credit if any of those decisions end up being right.

He’ll entrust much more to others these days, some of it wisely like McClay, some of it because he’s just getting older like Stephen… but he has no problem jumping in, such as his attempt to salvage the Gregory extension, or when it’s misguided like him wanting to grab Manziel and having to be talked off the draft ledge by the others.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Think hes gotten a little better at following advice .
Especially on draft day
But hes still telling us who's gonna play and how much lol
Jerry the GM is just a figurehead. The characterization of him by some as being a meddler is a gross exaggeration. He is a promoter at heart and has no qualms talking to the media. At almost 80 years of age I don't think he his doing much more than tallying his liver spots and dusting off his circa 90's toupe.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry the GM is just a figurehead. The characterization of him by some as being a meddler is a gross exaggeration. He is a promoter at heart and has no qualms talking to the media. At almost 80 years of age I don't think he his doing much more than tallying his liver spots and dusting off his circa 90's toupe.
He's a promoter alright at heart.
I'm his mind he's HC
Everything else he learned from AL Davis

LysleE

Reaction score
I think Jerry still has final say on everything associated with the Cowboys. I do think Will McClay was a solid acquisition, so that is one good decision Jerry has made; but then negated it with hiring of MM.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

This is a great question and one my circle of friends have discussed as it’s been mentioned before by the beat writers in our local papers.

First of all there’s really no way to know exactly what goes on behind closed doors. But we can speculate and or draw some conclusions based on what we have seen and what’s been disclosed publicly.

Will is basically the Scouting Director as VP of player personnel. He’s watching all of the film and searching out talent to fill the needs for the draft and all of the players we sign for camp as FA after the draft. A similar role as our longtime VP of player personnel Gil Brandt undertook. Gil made the HOF with his efforts of finding talent from unknown places.

Beyond that it’s not as clear how involved Will is with contract decisions and which players potentially are decided to be let go or not resigned . That is suspected to fall more in the recommendations from Stephen to Jethro . As he is the Cap giro.

We do know from reports that Jethro does sit in on meetings as he does serve as the deciding factor and or final word . Much like Parcells accurately stated . You must convince Jethro to go against his instincts .

As far as team meetings , we also know Jethro sits in on them as well . How much influence he has in schemes is again unknown . But the fact he has involvement and potential input and influence is enough concern or skepticism for most fans .

We also know Jethro as GM doesn’t watch much film if any which is a major activity for most GM’s. Jethro is basically a part time GM. I suppose a “ rubber stamp” could be used to describe but again it depends on if he’s aligned with the recommendations.

Basically as I understand from all of these reports I’ve read over the years is we really don’t have a GM so to speak . We just have an owner who flamboyantly parades around as the Commander in Chief. And everyone caters to whatever appeals to his presence and involvement .

Jethro just wants to be the face of the franchise . He feels he is best suited to take on the media and all of the criticism. And to his credit he doesn’t mind being in the heat of the kitchen taking on the firestorm that often arises . And he doesn’t shy away from the buck stopping with him. And a big part of why he wants to be front and center because he believes only himself can take it on while maintaining the image and hyping the product . Much like we see elected public officials take on.

Too his credit from all of of his brilliant and remarkable revolutionary revenue efforts he not only sued the league to establish with stadium sponsorships but his contributing efforts in establishing the NFL Network, the Fox contract and efforts in like bringing the NFL back to the nations 2nd largest TV market in LA are all intertwined into enabling that the revenue will continue flourishing despite the results on the field which has been the key factor in allowing him to continue his dysfunctional football ways without the lack of success impacting revenue which it had in the past.

These contributions are what ultimately promoted his inductions into the HOF. Because not only did he provide this method of sustaining revenue despite the success on the field for the Cowboys but the entire league. The NFL is the only professional sports league where all teams are in the black every year as a result.

All Jethro has to do now is continue promoting hype and hope each season to attempt to keep the fans embraced. He recently suggested that his biggest priority was remaining interesting and relative which in effect is enough to maintain the embracement by fans and even the media . This is his biggest involvement now and why we are seeing him even more with these outlandish and often ridiculous interviews and responses that really serve no other purpose despite how they undermine our coaching staff, front office and players .

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The guy owns the team. So, at the end of the day nothing happens without his approval, because his name is on the checks. If Jerry says I'm not paying Mike Nolan, then McCarthy can't hire Mike Nolan. So all decision belong to the President, Owner, and General Manager, that is Jerry Jones.

Jerry said that the final decision of who their first round pick will be, gets alternated between father and son. So, yes they do have their hands in the cookie jar, but I like how they take turns.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those wishful thinkers would try and sell that the son has taken over some of the decision making with absolutely 0 evidence of that and anytime even a hint of a rumor starts that the torch is being passed, Booger reasserts himself into the head honcho chair. There is but one boss.

Booger is the final approver of everything he's interested in about his team. His son doesn't do anything without approval. It is a true patriarchy in every sense of the word.

When you look at him and his past, even before he bought the team, what was he proudest of? Going against his own geologists and bringing in a gusher. His ego is so large that everything he owns is an extension of that and must feed that to keep himself important and relevant now that he is older.

He doesn't care whether the fans like it or not, his posture is one of "I can; therefore, I do".

What I don't get is why are some in a hurry for the one who has proven nothing but incompetence to take over? One thing takes place, the Manziel incident, and the king is dead? That entire war room was against that pick.

Booger has people on the payroll to give him advice and then he does whatever in the hell he wants to do. He is not trying to win a SB; he's trying to satiate his ego.

Last edited:

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I think he is moving to Chairman of the Board status.

He gets to be in the building. Go to any meeting he wants. Asked to sign cheques, but the actual authority lies with others now.

Most of what we see is his children trying not to embarrass their father, and to give him something as he begins to age more rapidly.

We will start to see it more and more in the interviews and conferences he will hold. The fumbling of words. Getting players names wrong. In this forum I have heard the saying that no player beats father time. I would say we will be seeing the effects of father time on Jerry soon, and the family is setting things up so he can gracefully participate, but not expose the organization.

He is working in a COB situation with proxies IMO.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think he is moving to Chairman of the Board status.

He gets to be in the building. Go to any meeting he wants. Asked to sign cheques, but the actual authority lies with others now.

Most of what we see is his children trying not to embarrass their father, and to give him something as he begins to age more rapidly.

We will start to see it more and more in the interviews and conferences he will hold. The fumbling of words. Getting players names wrong. In this forum I have heard the saying that no player beats father time. I would say we will be seeing the effects of father time on Jerry soon, and the family is setting things up so he can gracefully participate, but not expose the organization.

He is working in a COB situation with proxies IMO.
And yet, we take a huge question mark in the 2nd yet again. The project thug, Kelvin Joseph. A typical Jerry pick.

And the last draft. Yet another question mark in Sam Williams. Maybe this one will finally turn out.

If Jerry is truly out of it, then why do we continue to employ Jerry strategies?

kskboys

Reaction score
Those wishful thinkers would try and sell that the son has taken over some of the decision making with absolutely 0 evidence of that and anytime even a hint of a rumor starts that the torch is being passed, Booger re-asserts himself into the head honcho chair. There is but one boss.

Booger is the final approver of everything he's interested in about his team. His son doesn't do anything without approval. It is a true patriarchy in every sense of the word.

When you look at him and his past, even before he bought the team, what was he proudest of? Going against his own geologists and bringing in a gusher. His ego is so large that everything he owns is an extension of that and must feed that to keep himself important and relevant now that he is older.

He doesn't care whether the fans like it or not, his posture is one of "I can; therefore, I do".

What I don't get is why are some in a hurry for the one who has proven nothing but incompetence to take over? One thing takes place, the Manziel incident, and the king is dead? That entire war room was against that pick.

Booger has people on the payroll to give him advice and then he does whatever in the hell he wants to do. He is not trying to win a SB; he's trying to satiate his ego.
And it's just so obvious. All the signs point toward Jerry still being in charge. Refusing to believe so is simply a sign of wishful hope.