How much does home field advantage actually help?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cowboys fans travel well to certain parts of the country. I don't think the noise aspect of home-field advantage is that big of a deal. The Cowboys use hand signals to overcome loud crowd noise. Bad weather is the only time I see an advantage being created but it's not necessarily for the home team, for instance, if the wind is so great that it makes it impossible to kick or pass the ball, the team with the better ground game will have an advantage and it's not always the home team. This happened to the Bills in Buffalo last week when the visiting Pats proved to have a better ground game during a windy game.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So you travel someplace else to play a game. When the other team scores, everyone cheers. When you score, not that many people cheer. I can't see this really bothering any professional athlete. Of course, there is the crowd noise issue when your offense is out there, but most teams have mastered the silent count. Maybe greater familiarity with the field might be an advantage to some home teams, but is that really that big of a deal?

I don't see the home field advantage as being that great. I guess I could be wrong. Do you guys think it makes a big difference?

It means more for some teams than others. Two dome teams playing in a dome, probably doesn't matter much.

But if one team is used to playing on grass or outdoors, and the other is not it can be advantage. Ask the Chargers if they want to go to Buffalo in January.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
There is a reality that underlies home field advantage that has nothing to do with crowd noise, etc.... The home team is hosting the playoff game because they have a better record than the traveling team. And a better record usually translates to being a better team than the team that has a lesser record.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So you travel someplace else to play a game. When the other team scores, everyone cheers. When you score, not that many people cheer. I can't see this really bothering any professional athlete. Of course, there is the crowd noise issue when your offense is out there, but most teams have mastered the silent count. Maybe greater familiarity with the field might be an advantage to some home teams, but is that really that big of a deal?

I don't see the home field advantage as being that great. I guess I could be wrong. Do you guys think it makes a big difference?
3 points for the home team

plasticman

Reaction score
It varies.

All you have to do is find their record at home and compare it to their record in away games. The difference represents the homefield advantage.

Some teams have great homefield advantage. Washington and Dallas do not.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Considering we play better at home, I would say its pretty huge, we can use all the advantages we can get.

T-RO

Reaction score
Very much depends on the home stadium...how loud the crowd, unique weather, etc.

GB, KC, SEA, New England, Pit...matters a lot.

T-RO

Reaction score
Having to go to a silent count can be a big deal. Receivers must fix their vision on the QB, and cannot do much scanning the defense pre-snap. And they aren't as fast off the line.

Einstein

Reaction score
This season home field advantage isn't... but it all depends on where you play and when. NE or GB later in the season is much harder than earlier, Denver is always hard due to the air, KC, Sea, NO all really hard due to how loud it gets...

RxMan

Reaction score
Another factor is just general familiarity with the field. QBs have thrown the corner end zone fade 100s of times on their home field. WRs have run routes and know little landmarks. Depth perception with how far the crowd is from the field or in the Cowboys case the glare from the glass doors. I think things like this play a role in having home field advantage.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It depends on the teams.

The teams that have outdoor stadiums in cold weather places it helps tremendously.

The Cowboys it doesn't help at all because very few actual Cowboys fans go to Cowboys games. The people that go to Cowboys games are there for the experience more than the game.

The Cowboys have better home field advantage in places like LA than they do in Texas.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

you travel someplace else to play a game......Travel is the key word. Time it takes, and jet lag,staying in hotels , that is one factor people ignore, but it has an effect
on teams.
home crowds can have a big effect, depends on the crowd though. Not just noise, but cheers fuel these players ego's today.

khiladi

Reaction score
Imagine playing in Lambeau or Buffalo in the play-offs?

foofighters

Reaction score

The Cowboys don't know what homefield advantage means...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I always felt we would be more focused on the road......but, for good teams it doesn't really make a difference

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Vegas says it is worth 3 points. I think it is always better to be able to play at home vs travel and playing on the road but at the end of the day as Jimmy used to say it does not matter where you play, home, road in the parking lot the best team will win. Right now only thing I am concerned about is this team getting back to playing quality football if they do that I think they are capable of winning anywhere add to that I think we are about to see this defense really come alive as they have all key parts in place.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You are used to playing on the fake grass in a dome, now here you are on legit grass out in the cold something you aren't used to, yep big deal as is travel and time zones. Huge advantage playing at home that is why these teams try so hard to get that home field ........advantage~~~~

Sleeping in your own bed beats the hell out of planes, hotels, bus to the stadium, so much easier for the home team.
not the temps really but weather wind, rain, and slippery slow turf and ball is heavier and harder to carry and throw's..for sure effects the game and can be an evening factor like this weekend we are clearly the better team but playing outdoors in moisture, windy, cold weather will help WFT ugly up the game.

although both teams have to paly in it so while a factor, not as big a deal as most make it..like 2019 NE game both brady and dak played bad..was an ugly game we lost.

ive always found it odd coaches say they rather have clean indoor productive week of practice vs go emulate a game they have that week by going outside in wet , cold, and conditions that might help the prepare for the weather..i see it all the time most say that..

Im throwing's our guy's into the outdoor field with the sprinklers running and make them practice in all one of the days..

Jarntt

Reaction score

Think we are better built to play indoors on a fast field or in Green Bay in possible snow and 20 degree weather?

tomsanders921

Reaction score

I don't think another team playing in Dallas is like playing in some of the other stadiums in the league. Dallas certainly doesnt have an overwhelming home field advantage when u look at the record.

But I don't think you want to go on the road to green bay in the playoffs, especially with how bad the running game is right now.