How much "real cap" room do we have?

endersdragon

Reaction score
Didn't see this looking around here but I was just curious how much actual cap room do we have to work with. On Spotrac it is listing around 10 million (which seems very good, far more than we have had in recent years), but I was just wondering if you know of how much we could create by working with a couple of contracts (Smith comes immediately to mind here) and possibly cutting a few players (like Carr).

endersdragon

Reaction score
Very true, but we are talking 2 very long term contracts here with the Tyron(e)s and that's pretty much it.

robjay04

Reaction score
got be careful how much you push into the future tho with Fred,martin and dlaw all coming up to contract years in the next couple of years

Yep and I believe Collins only signed a 3 year deal so he will be coming due the same time as Martin though I could be wrong.

therock1982

Reaction score
Yep and I believe Collins only signed a 3 year deal so he will be coming due the same time as Martin though I could be wrong.

depends if they take the option on martin for 5th year,Collins will be due same year as dlaw who as a 2nd rounder is only 4 year rookie deal,I'm lwd to bwleive anyway

endersdragon

Reaction score
Restructuring Tyron would be stupid.

Why? We are largely going to have the same team back next year without it, and any money we don't spend is carried over. If we are in a win now mode with Romo entering his final years, I am not sure we have much choice

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Restructuring Tyron would be stupid.

why? his base salary is $10 million most seasons, and his cap figures are under $14 million. restructuring him could reduce his cap number to $6.6 million and still keep his base salaries in the future under $16 million the next two seasons and back under $14 million. he's extremely affordable given his level of play.

Common Sense

Reaction score
They'll be about $21M under after the "automatic" restructures to Crawford's and Dez's contracts.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really the answer is...as much as we need. There is a way to accomplish everything we want to this offseason. It's just a matter of how many deals we want to restructure to create more space if we want/need to. .

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Really the answer is...as much as we need. There is a way to accomplish everything we want to this offseason. It's just a matter of how many deals we want to restructure to create more space if we want/need to. .

That is true you can manipulate the cap but I think teams have to be careful in doing that so it does not come back to haunt you later on.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Didn't see this looking around here but I was just curious how much actual cap room do we have to work with. On Spotrac it is listing around 10 million (which seems very good, far more than we have had in recent years), but I was just wondering if you know of how much we could create by working with a couple of contracts (Smith comes immediately to mind here) and possibly cutting a few players (like Carr).

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/my-cap-situation-breakdown.341641/

Hoofbite

Reaction score
How so, if you do not mind me asking. Considering how young he is the risk is negligible, barring a career ending injury.

Because it wouldn't put the team in a position to have to plead with him to take a pay cut because his cap charge is too high at a point when he's no longer a young player. That's exactly why Ware isn't on the team.

When is he more likely to justify a high cap hit? Now as a young and dominate player, or 5 years from now? Provided he's the rare exception who plays well into his 30's, paying well less (cap-wise) than the market rate in 2020 helps the team more than paying slightly above.

The team isn't winning a SB based solely on the money freed up from restructuring Tyron in 2016. The team needs to abandon the "one player away" approach and build for the future. Not restructuring him actually allows them to get that one player when they truly are one player away. It also avoids the Brandon Carr situation where a player is retained longer than he otherwise would have been. This isn't a likely outcome barring injury, but what if injury occurs and he falls off? The team carries a guy solely for his cap charge yet again?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
"Real" cap room is a very intriguing concept and one I'd love to fully hash out and define if I had oodles of time.

You seem to be using that term as most here do as "max amount of cap room possible".
And that's not real... to me.

"REAL" cap room to me is amount of cap room after you tag/re-sign all your guys and account for your rookie class; plus complete all normal business.
So that number would include "obvious" restructures --think the old and goofy "scheduled restructure plan"-- but not include guys like Witten which are possible but hardly helpful in the next couple seasons.

So I am saying we can't sign anyone? Absolutely not.
We can probably sign any UFA player we desire. REAL year 1 cost is minimal for just about anyone if structured to be so.
But few players gets to UFA that are the kind of players you'd mortgage the future for by playing cap games.
Teams signing top 10 UFA are almost universally disappointed with those results.
And it's easy to see why. The draft provides what are in essence indentured servants (not slaves... but locked to you and only you for X amount of years at an affordable cost).
Free Agency is true free market. And in the free market you gotta compete.
Paying fair market value is always less appealing than indentured servitude.
On the micro level it is the difference between making your kid mow the lawn versus a lawn service.

tm1119

Reaction score
Because it wouldn't put the team in a position to have to plead with him to take a pay cut because his cap charge is too high at a point when he's no longer a young player. That's exactly why Ware isn't on the team.

When is he more likely to justify a high cap hit? Now as a young and dominate player, or 5 years from now? Provided he's the rare exception who plays well into his 30's, paying well less (cap-wise) than the market rate in 2020 helps the team more than paying slightly above.

The team isn't winning a SB based solely on the money freed up from restructuring Tyron in 2016. The team needs to abandon the "one player away" approach and build for the future. Not restructuring him actually allows them to get that one player when they truly are one player away. It also avoids the Brandon Carr situation where a player is retained longer than he otherwise would have been. This isn't a likely outcome barring injury, but what if injury occurs and he falls off? The team carries a guy solely for his cap charge yet again?

You realize that Tyron will still only be 32 by the time his contract is up right? There is no worry about pushing $ past his prime years. And the what if injury thing is there with every single player you give $ to in the NFL, it's just a risk you have to accept.

I'm with you on not pushing $ back for most guys on the team (no more for Romo or Witten), but I can assure you Tyron Smith is the exception to the rule. He's as safe a bet as there is.