How much trouble would you go to see a musician you like?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I would LOVE to see Hilary Hahn play her violin in person. She can play incredibly well. Right now she's touring Ontario, Canada, but she'll be in Chicago in March. That's a day's drive east of here, and Chicago traffic really sucks. I mean, it REALLY sucks, but I would just have to put up with it while there.

This thing is possible to do. Tickets are something like $200, then there's gas and a hotel room. Possible to do if I really want to. It will cost some change, but this is the best possibility. All the other shows are up in Canada or on the east- or west-coast of the US. Chicago is the only one anywhere near me.

I could probably watch a local chamber orchestra here for something like 40 bucks. But Hilary Hahn is really, really good.

Should I do it? Should I save my money? Arrrggg.

Dallas_Cowboys50

Reaction score
Almost none. I'm old, concerts lose their attraction w/ age.

Aint even an age thing for me, Concerts have never enticed me, even in my teens and twenties. I'd much rather use that money on a live sports event. Live versions of songs I first heard and fell in love with on radio/tape/cd/mp3/whatever always sound like crud.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
It wouldn't be practical to pay a bunch of money to go to Chicago and see her play. But ..... man, she can really play.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I would LOVE to see Hilary Hahn play her violin in person. She can play incredibly well. Right now she's touring Ontario, Canada, but she'll be in Chicago in March. That's a day's drive east of here, and Chicago traffic really sucks. I mean, it REALLY sucks, but I would just have to put up with it while there.

This thing is possible to do. Tickets are something like $200, then there's gas and a hotel room. Possible to do if I really want to. It will cost some change, but this is the best possibility. All the other shows are up in Canada or on the east- or west-coast of the US. Chicago is the only one anywhere near me.

I could probably watch a local chamber orchestra here for something like 40 bucks. But Hilary Hahn is really, really good.

The fact that you took the time to post this question indicates it is something you want to do.

The answer is obvious.... DO IT!

You will forget about the money and the traffic. You will never forget the show, and you will never forget the regret of not going when you had the chance.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
I would crawl over broken glass to go back to the late 70's to see KISS in their prime.
I was too young to go to concerts back then.

I was 15 when i saw them in 79, it was a pretty good show. I would have loved to have seen them when they were younger and hungrier, the HTH tour would have been awesome.

lukin2006

Reaction score
No more concerts for me. Just too expensive. But I would make exceptions for Led Zeppelin and The Beatles…

cowboysfan99

Reaction score
I bought a plane ticket and hotel and took a one night trip to Seattle just to see Dr. Dog in December 2021. They announced they were done touring so I had to see them one last time. I also really enjoy concerts and go to 1-2 every year. Do what you love!

Hardline

Reaction score
Well. I just found out how much trouble I would go through to see a musician I like.
My favorite singer in the world Tarja Turenen is playing Vegas June 28th.
There isn't a Dallas date so Ill be flying out to Vegas. Got my tickets already.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

This is someone you really want to see and can make the finance's work, I would say go and do it. Years from now, the memory of the show will be worth more than the money you saved. A couple of factors to consider, how often do they tour and how likely will they come close to where you live. I've lived most my life in central Texas and in my younger days would drive to Dallas or Houston for a particular show. It's been a long while since I've done that though.

I do have a regret with Tom Waits. I lived in Austin a while back and he was going on tour, 1st tour in 3 years and the tour was starting in Austin during SXSW. A friend and I are big fans and tickets would be tough to get, when tiks went on sale I would have to work but my friend went to wait in line, but got sold out before we could get some. We talked about getting tiks on the secondary market, I don't remember how much, but prices were pretty steep. We eventually decided to pass, thinking we would catch him on his next tour. The problem was he only toured like two more times, years later after that, can't even really call them tours. One was only like 10 dates in the states and like 6-8 in Europe, his last tour was 10 years ago and was only 8 dates, all in Ohio,Tenn and Kentucky....that was like what the hell. Looking back now, I wish I had coughed up the money especially knowing what I know now.....:(

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Depends on the artist. Can I see dead artist in this hypothetical scenario?

I’d travel a long way and pay a lot to go see, say, Nirvana in their prime, Led Zeppelin at the Royal Albert Hall 1970, Radiohead at Glastonbury 1997, Arctic Monkeys at Glastonbury 2013…

Any currently preforming artist? The most I’d do is drive a few hours and pay a couple hundred bucks for tickets, if it’s someone I’m dying to see. I don’t really go to a ton of concerts. Not by choice - just the way I was raised, and I sort of live in the middle of nowhere. The largest cities in each direction are St. Louis, Nashville and Indy, and each are a good multi-hour drive away. So then you gotta get a hotel… it turns into a multi day event.

I truly do love concerts though. I’d go to a lot more concerts if I was in a city where it would possible to just take public transport and get to a venue and back home easily.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never went out of my way to go see a musician or group that I really liked. But if the circumstances were right, who knows.

In 2019, I went to Vegas with a few people. I looked up what was going on in the area at the time. Carlos Santana was playing at the House of Blues. I immediately bought tickets. $180, and worth every penny. They did not want to go, so I went by myself. I grew up listening to him, and have a lot of his music on digital platform, but also have about 15 of his vinyl albums.
My 7th grade science teacher used to play his music at times during class.

Now, if Mark Warner were to get back with Donnie Brewer and do a Grand Funk Railroad tour. I may plan a trip around that. But still may, just to hear Brewer do a drum solo. Need to look into that.
Of course some other bands possibly but never really thought about going out of my way to see them.