How much will Dak help?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I am a Dak fan and I have no interest in bashing Cooper Rush. Under the circumstances he did an amazing job, but last night's game was a bit overdue. Remember he had two picks against the Commanders that were erased by penalties. Rush has been in the league since 2017 and his limitations are obvious. There's enough film on him now for defensive coordinators to dissect and the Eagles made him look like what he really is- a backup quarterback.

Dak, so long as he's healthy and not too rusty, makes a world of difference. Just look at last year's offensive production pre-calf injury. Even if the Cowboys can average even one more touchdown per game with Dak, this team is going to win a ton of games.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Can this team score mid 20s per game at least?
Say what you want about Rush, because Prescot isn't the answer either. Prescot hasn't shown up for a meaningful game in YEARS and if he would have been available there's a dam good chance the Boys wouldn't have put 17 points on the board.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Rush led Dallas to a 4-1 record while Dak was out and that exceeded expectations. That said, the offensive output clearly was impacted by his limitations.

Dak has led Dallas to a 13-3 record (2016) and a 12-5 record(2021) while also posting quality passing stats at times.

So, is Dak an improvement over Rush for the offense? Absolutely.

The problem so many have is more to do with the offensive game planning as Dallas showed that a run first, rely on the defense approach is successful yet the concern is will Moore and Dak go back to the pass happy offense that put up numbers but didn't produce in the playoffs.

While there will always be Dak apologists and Dak detractors, this has to stop being about just Dak and instead about what is going to make this team regain the Super Bowl glory days.

Sadly I think that regardless of QB, the primary obstacle is and will be Jerry & Co. because until Dallas gets an actual GM, this team will always be about the glitz instead of the glory.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
He's played what... 3 quarters or so of football in the last nine months, badly at that, and has new hardware in the surgically repaired thumb on his throwing hand. He's getting more heat than at any time in his career. He is coming back to a team kept solidly in contention by the backup. Playing against defenses that are starting to gel.

That's not an easy row to hoe.

It's going to be interesting, to say the least.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The question in the thread title is different than what you are saying in this post. You seem to be focused on a prescribed amount of points being scored as if that will guarantee a win. We only have to score one more point than our opponent to win so that is all that should matter. Wanting the team to score in the mid-20s is not important. Just out-score your opponent. If that means the mid-20s, then fine but there is no prescribed amount of points the offense must be scoring.

As for the question in the thread title, it's legit. We are probably all asking that question. There should be no doubt that getting your QB1 back is a good thing, but how much difference will he make? Cooper Rush has won us 4 games in 5 weeks. That's a commendable performance for a backup QB. We are right to expect more from Dak. That's not an unrealistic expectation. We'll see.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Rush led Dallas to a 4-1 record while Dak was out and that exceeded expectations. That said, the offensive output clearly was impacted by his limitations.

Dak has led Dallas to a 13-3 record (2016) and a 12-5 record(2021) while also posting quality passing stats at times.

So, is Dak an improvement over Rush for the offense? Absolutely.

The problem so many have is more to do with the offensive game planning as Dallas showed that a run first, rely on the defense approach is successful yet the concern is will Moore and Dak go back to the pass happy offense that put up numbers but didn't produce in the playoffs.

While there will always be Dak apologists and Dak detractors, this has to stop being about just Dak and instead about what is going to make this team regain the Super Bowl glory days.

Sadly I think that regardless of QB, the primary obstacle is and will be Jerry & Co. because until Dallas gets an actual GM, this team will always be about the glitz instead of the glory.
:hammer:

Blitzen

Reaction score

I imagine they will score like crazy if they get a good sized lead (especially against trash teams or backups), which inflates the stat sheet. Differences won’t really come into play until the postseason. We know that Rush can beat other NFL teams-maybe not the best NFL teams though. Dak is better, but I am not sure that he makes worlds of difference against the best squads. We shall see. The fans here never run short on excuses for the guy. If he beats the best and wins the Super Bowl, he can quiet his detractors.

Naruto

Reaction score
If he beats the best and wins the Super Bowl, he can quiet his detractors.

Hell just get the Cowboys back to an NFC Championship game and everyone will shut up for a couple years.

morat1959

Reaction score
He’s not playoff win and SB good and that’s all that matters. Stats are for losers.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We gotta open up the offense like we did on the 2nd half drive.
move the quarterbacks from time to time and we'll score 20 plus points a game.
Adapting in game to what the defense is doing is what we need from Kellyn Moore.
If I see KM keep Dak in the pocket next week it's not gonna end well