How rookie Marshawn Kneeland can tie the Cowboys' defensive line together

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Zimm is going to be really upset quickly if he doesn't find a big man ready to step up his game.
I agree the nose tackle position is the key to this defense .If Dallas gets good at stopping the run and collapsing the pocket , these linebackers are going to be making tackles.Dallas may have to make a trade for a big defensive tackle .

gtb1943

Reaction score
I agree the nose tackle position is the key to this defense .If Dallas gets good at stopping the run and collapsing the pocket , these linebackers are going to be making tackles.Dallas may have to make a trade for a big defensive tackle .
Right now we are pretty much counting on a guy who is so slow off the ball the QB can read a book, and a 7th rd pick

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, right, like who?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Marshawn Kneeland be an immediate impact for this DL? That’s highly doubtful for any rookie. Can he be a contributor this year? Yes. Can he develop over time into a really good player? Yes. Immediately? No.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
The issues with this roster are not primarily due to a lack of talent. Kneeland looks decent as a prospect and Zimmer is by all accounts a solid DC who should be able to deploy him effectively.

IMO— unfortunately this team has some fatal flaws in other areas:

1. Discipline: they lack fundamentals and consistent execution at times. Sloppiness, penalties, lack of preparation etc continue to dog this team.

2. Mental Toughness: this team folds when they get punched in the mouth. The lack of run D and the end of year disappearing act reveals they just aren’t tough-minded enough.

3. Ego and Individualism: JJ has built a players first Country Club culture. They are too focused on getting their bags, building their brands, deflecting blame, making excuses, and pointing their fingers to do the hard things and sacrifices that lead to team success.

4. FO Issues: The fish rots from the head down. We have been rotting for 30 years and the stench is awful. We have an arrogant and stubborn FO that believes they are “hanging around the rim” so why change? Status quo, hype, and wishful thinking are their strategies.

Until these are addressed it won’t matter how many talented players are on the roster.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will Marshawn Kneeland be an immediate impact for this DL? That’s highly doubtful for any rookie. Can he be a contributor this year? Yes. Can he develop over time into a really good player? Yes. Immediately? No.
Can he replace Armstrong or Fowler's production? Probably not. But can he help in combination with Sam Williams. Maybe not either.
However both may be able to get close to that production. Will need a few other players to step up and a 3rd player can be in the mix. Golston or ODiggy and the DT's can get some pressure. Then that group can be decent and would be a pleasant surprise.

We won't know until the real games though.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm honestly hoping that we see Zimm install his more conservative gap assignment responsibility scheme and we will all begin to see early signs of this in camp if Zimm gets the discipline necessary in order to implement his scheme.
We have the usual huge question marks with this DL, but they have gotten more substantial in weight, which is fine if you can hold your ground at LOS and keep the OL off the roaming LBs.
If our LBs are getting tied up, then you know right there that DL are losing their battle at the LOS.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Or he could land on his knee and injure it.
That is always a possibility but there is also the possibility that he could win DROY.. I don't like to throw down smileys, but you understand my sarcasm to a degree.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
he is going to push but will Jethro listen?
I think the entire staff is going to back up Zimmer, Big Mike better be smart enough to endorse his new wingman.
Mike is smart enough to understand that this offense and defense need to both click together.
Offense ... TOP
Defense ... Discipline, gap assignments, scheme.
Thats the basics and what I believe Zimm will be bringing, at least that is what sold him in his interview enough for Jerry to get all excited.