cowboyjoe

Reaction score
How super is this sleeper? Toler says watch on Sundays
April 22, 2009
By Pete Prisco
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11661486

You might not know the name Greg Toler now, but he says you soon will.

That's Toler's style: Confident and bordering on cocky.

Confident Greg Toler says: 'People can watch me on Sunday to see how good I will be.'
That's OK. You need that to play corner in the NFL. But it's unexpected from a player trying to make the leap from St. Paul's College, a historically black school in Virginia that isn't known for its football program.

Greg who?

You might not know him. And you haven't seen him play -- nor have I, by the way -- but the word in NFL scouting circles is Toler might be one of the super sleepers in this year's draft. The word among personnel people is he will go between the second and fourth rounds.

• Complete NFL Draft coverage
"It's kind of cool to hear that," Toler said. "But I never thought I was a sleeper in my own eyes. I always thought I could play."

Here's how much he thinks he can play: He compares his game to that of Deion Sanders, Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha.

They're arguably the three best cover corners of the last 20 years.

"My brother always told me to shoot for the moon and if you don't make it at least you'll be in the stars," Toler said.

His is one of those stories that make you root for him to succeed. He was raised by a loving mother, but without the help of a father. The father spent most of life in prison before dying in custody while serving time for drug charges.

"My dad told me that he never wanted to see my name in the system," Toler said. "He told me he did enough bad things for the two of us. That helped me stay clear of trouble. But I always thought he was looking out for me. I still think he's watching down on me."

Toler steered clear of trouble while playing high school football in Washington, D.C. But he didn't get the required grades to play on the next level.

Football had to wait -- if it ever came.

Needing money, he went to work stocking shelves at the local J.C. Penney for three months.

"It was that or do something stupid to get money," he said. "And I wasn't going down that path."

He played for a semi-pro team for a while, but that was for washed-up college players and old men trying to hang on to a dream. It wasn't for healthy, young players who could run under 4.5 in the 40.

"They told me to get out of there," Toler said. "The guys thought I was too young and too good to be playing there."

So he found his way to St. Paul's, which was a long way away from the NFL. But as they say in scouting circles, if you can play the league will find you, no matter where you are.

They've found Toler. Scouts that I talked to about him were excited about his potential. Raw was a word used often, though.

At 5-11, 190 pounds, he has good size. He also has run the 40 in 4.35. That's moving. But he's 24, old for an NFL rookie, and the level of competition he has faced wasn't much.

"We had the same practice cleats as game cleats," he said. "The town has one stop light. We have no weight room. That's why some of the guys in this draft that I've worked out for are shocked when I tell them what I had in college. They don't believe me. And that's why I think my best football is in front of me."

Toler is six hours away from graduating with a degree in criminal justice. He said he plans to finish this summer, as much for his mother as for himself.

He'll spend draft day with her and his brother. To think he's about to go the NFL is simply amazing coming from where he has been.

J.C. Penney stock boy to the NFL doesn't happen much. Kurt Warner went from grocery stock boy to a probable Hall of Famer. That's a long way to go for Toler, but some are already comparing him to Arizona corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who came from Tennessee State to start for a Super Bowl team last season as a rookie.

"They say we're both corners with good size and speed who came from small schools," Toler said. "But he let his game do his talking and I'll do my talking with mine. People can watch me on Sunday to see how good I will be."

I told you he was cocky. Time will tell if he's as good as he says.

One thing is certain: He's the super sleeper in this draft, and his path makes his story even more compelling.

Woods

Reaction score
Believe it or not, Toler is now ranked number 100 on NFLDraftScouts rankings. He's really risen fast on some of these rankings.

That would put him right at the end of Round 3, I believe (including the comp picks).

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;2740962 said:
Believe it or not, Toler is now ranked number 100 on NFLDraftScouts rankings. He's really risen fast on some of these rankings.

That would put him right at the end of Round 3, I believe (including the comp picks).

sure would, and i put up some posts about him earlier on this board, about a week or so ago

Woods

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2741009 said:
sure would, and i put up some posts about him earlier on this board, about a week or so ago

Yes, I remember. And at that time he was projected as an UDFA or a 6/7 round type at best.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;2741021 said:
Yes, I remember. And at that time he was projected as an UDFA or a 6/7 round type at best.

yep, best i remember was going as undrafted or low rounds, when you have good times in 40 etc and get tapes of you to teams,a nd with combine, your value goes up

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Amazing. Great story. I hope he moves all the way up into the first or lower 2nd. :)

Woods

Reaction score
BAT;2741032 said:
Amazing. Great story. I hope he moves all the way up into the first or lower 2nd. :)

We've got two more days to go, and at the pace he's moving, he may be the top pick. :laugh1:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;2741038 said:
We've got two more days to go, and at the pace he's moving, he may be the top pick. :laugh1:

i dont think he will jump up that high, maybe in lower end of 2nd round, thats why to a degree is why belicheat the coach of patriots, got some extra 2nd rounders, he is going to load up this year with good prospects in the draft

we can too, in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds;

Woods

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2741050 said:
i dont think he will jump up that high, maybe in lower end of 2nd round, thats why to a degree is why belicheat the coach of patriots, got some extra 2nd rounders, he is going to load up this year with good prospects in the draft

we can too, in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds;

I was kidding cowboyjoe . . .. :)

I don't really think he's going to be the top pick.

I think he'll probably be a 4th rounder, maybe even a 5th rounder.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Woods;2741038 said:

C'mon Joe, dont' tell me you didn't crack a smile on Woods' funny! I kid, it is hard to detect subtleties on the internet.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Woods;2741056 said:
I was kidding cowboyjoe . . .. :)

I don't really think he's going to be the top pick.

I think he'll probably be a 4th rounder, maybe even a 5th rounder.

no i didnt catch it woods, been on computer all day, guess im tired alittle
getting geared up for the draft

im just hoping, that this is the draft if done right puts up back at the top of the nfl, at least allows us to get to the championship game for sure, with a good mixture of players from the draft

then if we can get an extra 3rd and 4th for canty & burnett, compensation picks, we might be able to trade our own 3rd and 4th to move up in the draft and get a really impact player

kinda like when the cowboys traded up to get tony dorset, randy white, etc

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
BAT;2741060 said:
C'mon Joe, dont' tell me you didn't crack a smile on Woods' funny! I kid, it is hard to detect subtleties on the internet.

no, i missed it bat, guess im a little tired, ive got my own war room up now
i have 18 posters up with names etc
my draft guides, etc

waiting on one more draft guide update that is suppose to come in the mail; so i can finish my mock draft too

i wil have my posters, mock draft, sleeper picks, my radio on listening to norm on the ticket covering draft with the goose, etc, i will have my computer on, my dvr with recorder recording espn and nfl network draft time, so im just about ready; will rest up friday so i will be ready come saturday night for draft, i figure the cowboys will draft somewhere between 7 & 8 pm, then finish up sunday for the draft

and a Do Not Disturb Sign on My Door!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Get some rest Joe, you deserve it. YOU are the Draft Zone, especially this past month. Kudos and thanks to you for all the info.