News: How the Cowboys are bucking a league trend economically

CCBoy

Reaction score
How the Cowboys are bucking a league trend economically
http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...ds-improve-one-question-cowboys-future-o-line

Barry Horn
: I thought the Cowboys were going more toward a run-oriented offense? Wasn't the whole idea of bringing in Zeke to go to back to what they were by putting the whole load on the running back just like they did with DeMarco [Murray]?

David Moore: The running game is different now too because of what you're doing. The game is much more getting matchups in space. I know running, you say is, that's not the case. But you have different sorts of runs than you did when Emmitt [Smith] was making a career being the leading rusher in the NFL in the history of the league. You just go about it differently. The blocking schemes are different. They will go back. There's always going to be this push and pull. To me it makes perfect sense if you have an elite runner and you're built to run to go back and emphasize the run game now because so many teams have loaded up with nickel and dime corners because they're in the passing game so often. They don't have players to play the run and you can wear a team down. But in doing that the lifespan of a running back is much shorter. These offensive lines are much more difficult to keep together because of the salary cap. To me the economics of the league make it easier to be a passing team year in and year out than a running team. The Cowboys are built to do both and built, in my mind, to lean toward the run right now. It makes perfect sense for where they are in Tony Romo's career and where they are with this offensive line.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think others are already doing this. Seahawks are not a big passing team much of their offense is predicated on setting up favorable down and distance using their run game. Passing game will always be important and has been since the forward pass came into being but a strong run game really opens up things on offense. I think being able to run makes it a lot easier to dictate to the defense and keeps them off balance

Sydla

Reaction score
I think others are already doing this. Seahawks are not a big passing team much of their offense is predicated on setting up favorable down and distance using their run game. Passing game will always be important and has been since the forward pass came into being but a strong run game really opens up things on offense. I think being able to run makes it a lot easier to dictate to the defense and keeps them off balance

Seahawks have a mobile QB who is a threat in their running game. So it's not like a team that has a pure drop back passer and is returning to the 80s and 90s when the run game dominated.

And Wilson is a pretty good passer too. He threw the ball nearly 500 times last year with a 110 rating.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Seahawks have a mobile QB who is a threat in their running game. So it's not like a team that has a pure drop back passer and is returning to the 80s and 90s when the run game dominated.

And Wilson is a pretty good passer too. He threw the ball nearly 500 times last year with a 110 rating.

I'm not saying Wilson is a bad QB what I am saying in their run game from the RB is a big part of that offense and sets the tone, defensively they are strong vs run and pass but when it comes to offense the RB have mattered.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm not saying Wilson is a bad QB what I am saying in their run game from the RB is a big part of that offense and sets the tone, defensively they are strong vs run and pass but when it comes to offense the RB have mattered.

The fact Wilson is a legitimate threat in the run game opens up a lot of their offense, not just handing to Lynch. People are trying way to hard to further justify Elliott's pick IMO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The fact Wilson is a legitimate threat in the run game opens up a lot of their offense, not just handing to Lynch. People are trying way to hard to further justify Elliott's pick IMO.

I'm not saying his ability to run is not a factor he is far from the 1st QB to be able to run. Does not change the fact that Lynch has been the guy they leaned on who forces defense to game plan. As for the Elliott pick I was not one who wanted him but Dallas got him and he is a very good RB and a guy who can be a difference maker to an offense. I'm grown up enough to understand because I may not have made that pick that it is a bad pick. He has great talent and has proven that through out his college career, he can run, block and catch. He is a guy that must be accounted for by defense. I don't think it is people who are trying to justify the pick I think some feel since it was not the pick they would have made they look to anything to degrade the pick.

Hardline

Reaction score
The Rams will lean heavily on the run game this year. Maybe even more than the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Rams will lean heavily on the run game this year. Maybe even more than the Cowboys.

They would be stupid not to. With Goff likely being the starter having that franchise RB in the back field with him will take some pressure off the shoulders of Goff

jrumann59

Reaction score

maybe if goff shows he is limited in his throws the rams will see a lot of blitzes and 8 man fronts. more or less what they seen the last 2 years,

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If the Cowboys have a big year this year running the ball, we might see a new trend emerge with many more teams using the run to own the clock and force other teams into desperate mistakes.

Really, that only works if you've got a good pass rush

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's all they have to lean on.

Well the rams have a better defense than we do on paper. They also loaded up on olineman in last year's draft. They will probably have the most similar team to us this upcoming year. I believe they will make the playoffs with the same formula we will be using

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well the rams have a better defense than we do on paper. They also loaded up on olineman in last year's draft. They will probably have the most similar team to us this upcoming year. I believe they will make the playoffs with the same formula we will be using

I'll bet you right now the Rams don't make the playoffs

Shinaoi

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys were in a special situation when it came to drafting Elliot. If the team were devoid of talent then they probably wouldn't have, but he gave the biggest bang for the offense we already have. So not all situations are equal.