How The Cowboys Became "Americas Team"

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The team should be taken off Jerry's hand.He might be a good person and great businessman but he is hurting the team image.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Absolute Truth. And sadly, Jerry will never admit this in a million years. He has benefited a ton more than he will ever admit from things he had zero to do with.

This is the one point that boggles my mind. Just sit back and let a good coach run the team and count your money.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Before they were America's Team, Schramm made sure they were Texas' team with the largest radio affiliate network in the NFL and then he moved on to Mexico. He also realized that AZ, NM, AR and OK didn't have their own team so he expanded in that direction as well and back then there were only Sunday games, the worst day of the week for radio revenue and Monday night, when that became a thing wasn't any better, and all they had to do was flip a switch and they had free programming and inventory to sell to their own sponsors. Back then, it was also prestigious to be the Cowboys affiliate and he had an impressive group of stations and he allowed them to use his brand to promote his brand.

Before Booger, there was Schramm and he was even more successful because he didn't build off of what was already built, he carved it out and was really the first in the NFL to recognize that a NFL team could be more than just football, they could be greater than that. When NFL Films dropped that label, he realized he had been more successful than he'd dreamed he would be and while Landry just saw the Dallas Cowboys as a football team, Schramm saw so much more. If there is one man that I would give credit to for the rise of the NFL to America's pastime, it is Schramm. I don't think he was a really nice man but he had a plan and it worked to perfection. He also had an owner that sat back and let him run the business while Schramm stood back and let Landry run the on the field part of it.

Many here, erroneously, give credit to Booger for being a great marketer but he's just taken advantage of what was already there, the way paved by a true visionary within the sport, and they also misuse the word "salesman" because that's not what he is, he's a "pitch man" and there is a big difference between the two.
That's what I always believed. Jerry bought a ready made fanbase that had fallen on hard times. The Cowboy brand had already been long established by the time Jerry arrived. Would Jerry have had the same success if he bought the Chargers?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yawn. Fans like to tell themselves this team is special. It's not. Sure it is still a premium "brand" but the Pats have long eclipsed Dallas as America's Team. Green Bay as well.

The Cowboys are like an aging Hollywood Starlet with too much botox.
The Cowboys have really been nothing special since the 90's. I can't picture random people picking the Cowboys as their team nowadays if they didn't live in Texas or their parents were fans.

mrmojo

Reaction score
The Cowboys were in the forefront of almost everything back in Tex's day, marketing, drafting, coaching and winning. From cheerleaders to the uniform and helmet, to a stadium with a hole in the roof...Tex didn't overlook any detail to keep the Cowboys in the spotlight. Taking the Thanksgiving day game when nobody else wanted it was pure genius on his part, and after they became winners everyone whined that the Cowboys had an unfair advantage every year having so many days off after that game, all the time forgetting Detroit also had that advantage. Jerry took what Tex did and has made the Cowboys a billion dollar franchise, and are still loved and hated as much as they were back in the 70s, all without winning a championship in the last 24 years....imagine that.....eventually this current regime will have to win a championship (or not) for this popularity to continue...but we cant forget the amazingly solid foundation that Tex, Tom and Gil built.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the one point that boggles my mind. Just sit back and let a good coach run the team and count your money.
And...if Jerry followed Tex Schramm’s model, he would take credit for hiring a great HC (in Jimmy) that produces playoff wins instead of being jealous of him and hiring puppets thereafter.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I appreciate you showing this. I was wrong I thought it was Dandy Don Meredith on the Monday night game announcing it. But either way we are America's Team truth and I believe we always get everyone's best. I got slammed so much for even mentioning that. But I truly believe it. I love the star and what it represents. Yes in my opinion we are America's Team

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How many playoff wins? Since 1996 the Pats have 33. Dallas has 4. Just admit it.
We still get everyone's best game. We still sell the most tickets jerseys. Make no mistake about it my cowboy brother we are and always will be America's Team. Win lose makes no difference. It's the star

shabazz

Reaction score
I consider that term offensive and possibly built on the backs of disenfranchised peoples.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't give a rats *** who it belongs to. Rather see a winning team. So you wouldn't trade the moniker for a few Super Bowls? I'm sure the Pats are real upset about that nickname. People put a lot of stock in a name that essentially means absolutely nothing. The success is what made it. That's the truth. Now it's jersey sales and nielsen ratings.
You sure are emotional for someone who doesn't give a rat's ***. Damn. The Cowboys are known as America's Team whether they win the next 10 Super Bowls or screw up the joint. That's my point. You sound bitter. I enjoy the Dallas Cowboys even when they disappoint me. Nothing I can do about their success or lack thereof but hope for the best. And screw the Pats with their cheatin' *****. I'm a Cowboys fan. AMERICA'S TEAM.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
And...if Jerry followed Tex Schramm’s model, he would take credit for hiring a great HC (in Jimmy) that produces playoff wins instead of being jealous of him and hiring puppets thereafter.
That is true. Back in the 70's both Tex and Tom got credit for the team's success. There was enough to go around.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I believe it was mentioned that 22 million viewers watched Dallas defeat
Philthy on SNF, making it the most watched game in 19 years.

So, still America's Team.

Add that the franchise is worth over $5 billion... America's Team.

But mostly they were named America's Team in 1978.
Claiming another team is now America's Team would be like
a young player claiming is now the new "Sweetness" or "Playmaker".
It's just stupid.

black label

Reaction score
DukR7F4X4AAEiss.jpg