CFZ How the Cowboys D can improve in 2022

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The only thing that matters to me is points allowed.

Keep them down, and I'm good.

Top 5 in points allowed. From 8 last year.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What happens if we have some key injuries on defense . Lawrence has had injury history in recent years. Van Esch. It only takes a couple and we’er struggling again.

If we can put constant pressure on opposing QB’s it will support other weaknesses. We are going to get two very good QB’s to open the season which will be a good test.

Yes they get the ball out quick.
Bengals still may have OL problems, or maybe they made that better.
Brady is Brady, as I keep saying this could be the year his arm falls off. But their offense is designed to get the ball out quick. So our pass rush needs to be quicker. But can they.
I am tired of the...almost got there...pass rush.

JBS

Reaction score
The easiest answer to this question is big plays allowed

this defense must improve in that area. Anything that doesn’t mention this in regards to the 2022 defense is wrong

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think we will have better DT and LB play to force teams into more 3rd and longs,if we can be top 10 in run Defense then this D will take a big leap and help out our Offense,

I think our fat boys are up for the challenge. They looked good this preseason.

Gallimore is going to shine.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We couldn’t stop the run on defense . Until we do this can’t be considered a good defense.

And Total Yards is still the official measurement used to rank defenses despite this Fantasy era fans which many want to denounce . There’s a reason why the league uses it as such.

The other contributing factors are important. But scoring isn’t measured by defense alone. Turnovers are a bigger factor .

Total yards doesn't matter when you give up more points.

That's how the game is determined by points, not yards, which is why Bob is correct and the NFL is . . . well, the NFL.

That said, I think the offense takes a tiny step forward.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys defense went from horrible to decent in rapid fashion in 2021, thanks to a 1st round dynamic stud draft pick in Micah Parsons, the development of CB Trayvon Diggs and the arrival of new DC Dan Quinn. We led the league in TOs and became a dynamic force at times. Our defense was arguably the most improved defense in the NFL last season.

But it was not without flaws or areas of improvement. So how good was the D last year and how can it be even better in a season where it may need to carry the team with lots of new faces on offense?

Here’s how the Cowboys D ranked last yr in some key areas both positive and negative:
POSITIVE AREAS IN 2021

• Ranked #1 in Takeaways with 34.
  • Ranked #7 in points allowed, avg. 21.1 pts per game. (IMO, the most important defensive stat)
  • Ranked #1 in INTs with a whopping 26 INTs.
  • Ranked #2 in 3rd down conversion rate at 34.7 (was 49% in 2020!)
  • Ranked #9 in TDs passes given up with 24.
  • Ranked #9 First downs surrendered with 327.
NEGATIVE 2021 STATS
  • Ranked #31 in penalties
  • Ranked #27 in first downs given up by penalty.
  • Ranked #22 in Yards per play (5.5 yds per play)
  • Ranked #18 in Total Yards per game (an overrated stat IMO)
  • Ranked #20 in Rushing yards per game (116)
  • Ranked #23 in Rushing yards per attempt. (4.5 yds per att)
WHAT THIS D MUST DO TO IMPROVE IN 2022
  • Improve against the run. (Been that way for years)
  • Cut the number of defensive penalties.
  • Stay in Top 10 with takeaways.
  • Improve on # of sacks- last year had 41 which was avg. (Pitt had 55)
  • Maintain or improve what I consider the MOST important defensive stat- points allowed.
For the first time in a very long time, the Cowboys defense has a real chance to be the best part of the team. The offense may take a step back from last year’s performance. The 2022 season may hinge on our defense.
Thanks for the nice stats, Bob.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I am excited to see this defense. It has a solid chance of being a top 10 defense. I do think the turnovers decrease though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Total yards doesn't matter when you give up more points.

That's how the game is determined by points, not yards, which is why Bob is correct and the NFL is . . . well, the NFL.

That said, I think the offense takes a tiny step forward.
But points can be given up by special teams and offense. While it’s an important factor it’s not a totally true measurement. And why the NFL doesn’t use it for official ranking .

The league obviously understand the importance of scoring. Football is after all a sum sport . But if you’re going to discount total yards then you’re basically going to rewrite history on many of the great defenses.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The D will make a sharp regression. Cowboys defense benefitted from playing a really poor cast of opposing qb's last year, especially in their own division. While the NFCE hasn’t exactly had an influx of qb talent in a year, Dallas still plays a better list of qb's this year, including, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Stafford, Matt Ryan, & Cousins. Quinn has his work cut out for him that's for sure.
I am excited to see this defense. It has a solid chance of being a top 10 defense. I do think the turnovers decrease though.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The D will make a sharp regression. Cowboys defense benefitted from playing a really poor cast of opposing qb's last year, especially in their own division. While the NFCE hasn’t exactly had an influx of qb talent in a year, Dallas still plays a better list of qb's this year, including, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow, Stafford, Matt Ryan, & Cousins. Quinn has his work cut out for him that's for sure.
I'll be happy if the linebacker takes a solid step forward and returns in mass for 2023.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Great break down.

I will say the issue we have has been so since Jimmy left. It's the quality rotation we have at the DT position. This gets us every time we play a team with a good run game. We don't get consistent push in the A gap. As a result, teams run it on us and our Edge guys can't get home. We get plenty of near misses, but opposing QBs are consistently able to step into the pocket and buy more time. It's why we would give up 3rd and long plays. Solve the issue in the A gap and watch how the back end benefits. I'm talking more turnovers than they had last year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great break down.

I will say the issue we have has been so since Jimmy left. It's the quality rotation we have at the DT position. This gets us every time we play a team with a good run game. We don't get consistent push in the A gap. As a result, teams run it on us and our Edge guys can't get home. We get plenty of near misses, but opposing QBs are consistently able to step into the pocket and buy more time. It's why we would give up 3rd and long plays. Solve the issue in the A gap and watch how the back end benefits. I'm talking more turnovers than they had last year.
My biggest concern for the Cowboys is part of Football 101- the team that wins the trenches wins playoff games. Football is still a game of fundamentals. Blocking and tackling. The skill position people get more of the spotlight but it’s the trench guys that ultimately determine your long term fate.

Never more true than this year with the Cowboys.

plasticman

Reaction score
I believe that the best thing the Cowboys defense can do to improve is stay healthy.

The defense took incredible steps last season in the right direction thanks mostly to their defensive coordinator combined with an aggressive draft aimed at rebuilding the defense. They also stumbled upon the best defensive player, most likely, in this decade.

That's nothing compared to where they might have been if they had been able to stay healthy. That defensive line was riddled with injuries to the point where the projected starters, Lawrence, Gregory, Gallimore, and Hill collectively started 22 out of 68 possible starts. That is less than a third. There was not a single game in which they all started. There were five games in which three of them started. That was the tail end of the season, they never had the opportunity to become cohesive.

There were times in a game when the entire defensive line was composed of rookies, Parsons, Golston, Osa, and Bohanna. As unfortunate as that was, it will pay dividends in the future as all four of them received valuable experience.

There was also the demise of Jaylon Smith whose previous injury resulted in an erosion of his skillset. Losing Jabril Cox early also hurt them. They were also without the services of a veteran free agent that was supposed to help against the run, Bret Urban. As a result of losing the majority of their inside defenders the run defense suffered and was exposed in the playoff.

Today, the defensive line looks as though it hasn't been as strong since the 90's in both talent and depth. They are three deep in DT's. The group of Osa, Hill, Gallimore, Bohanna, and Ridgeway should make the defense one of the strongest against the run....provided they stay healthy.

There is other good news. It is believed that players make their greatest improvement in their second season so last year's draft class should contribute even more than last season, at least most of them. I'm not as inspired by the 2nd year DB's as much as I am with the D-line.

There is the continuity of the same defensive philosophy since they were able to retain Quinn. That is huge.

Now, when we can add in a few exciting defensive rookies like Williams and Bland as well as some quality veteran free agents like Fowler and Barr, I think we can look forward to a new Doomsday Defense emerging in the NFL. The only thing i see preventing that from happening is another injury pandemic like we have seen too often over the past several seasons.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Diggs can stop getting burned. Our interior D-line can step up and be the wall I know it can be. Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head to improve the D.