How the heck do you guys keep track..

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
of all these college players?

I am always amazed at the knowledge level that you guys exhibit. I know all the projected first round names...I also know a few that I saw at the combine...but some of you guys are talking about 6th and 7th rounders which blows my mind.

So, the question is, how did you gain that level of knowledge?

The Realist

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

I am always amazed at the knowledge level that you guys exhibit. I know all the projected first round names...I also know a few that I saw at the combine...but some of you guys are talking about 6th and 7th rounders which blows my mind.

1) Start day after draft as UDFA's being signed for following draft.
2) Dish/NFL Network with dual tuner and expanded memory tivo.
3) Piss of my wife by recording 6 games per Saturday and building DVD library up to 150 games per year. Don't forget the games on other nights.
4) NFL Draft Scout dot com.......mandatory.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99 said:

When someone becomes a Draftnik it just consumes you to know some of these things. In the time I've been visiting message boards the level of knowledge has impressed me too, and it's getting better all the time.

Most of us probably have every Draft site bookmarked and read it every day. Most are college football junkies.

It's the same as with any passion. You get hooked, you stay hooked.

I'm seriously considering something next year that may give these guys and other Draftniks a chance to be read and heard by a wider audience. IMO, some of the guys who post here are every bit as fun to listen to or read as Kiper and all the other experts. In some ways more fun, because it's the Regular Joe quality.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Can you imagine how it'd be if we had access to every video clip of ever video prospect, of every play they've ever played?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Juke99 said:

I'll start my research on the 07 prospects within a week of the end of the draft this weekend, once I know what undrafted rookie free agents the Cowboys have signed... actually, that's not entirely accurate, I've already got some input on next year's draft from a couple-three websites...

Then, I have at least 20 different draft-related websites bookmarked, which I will check in on at least weekly this summer, then more often as we get into next football season... the Great Blue North website is perhaps the best one for info during the summer months...

But perhaps the most valuable tool I've had this year has been the message boards at NFL Draft Countdown and (especially) the one at Consensus Draft Services... the latter board focuses on lesser-known players...

By the time next year's draft rolls around, I reckon I'll have at least 300 hours of research in, almost all of it on the internet...

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

I just come here .....:laugh2:

Actually, it's not that far from the truth. Other web sites, boards, and plenty of Saturday College Football gives plenty of info. I have to admit that people bring a lot of knowledge to this board. There are plenty of posters here from all over the world and more importantly, from around the college football programs that produce these players. If I had a nickel for every time somebody was able to give a first-hand account of a college player's performance on this board, I'd be rich man.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
How the heck do you guys keep track..

tivo-717501.jpg

5 Super Bowls

Reaction score
The Realist said:
1) Start day after draft as UDFA's being signed for following draft.
2) Dish/NFL Network with dual tuner and expanded memory tivo.
3) Piss of my wife by recording 6 games per Saturday and building DVD library up to 150 games per year. Don't forget the games on other nights.
4) NFL Draft Scout dot com.......mandatory.

NFL Draft Scout is going to archive all of the prospects back to 1983. It is extremely thorough and really gives too much info. They are very slow to update though. Most of the mocks and value charts are old news, but the player info is amazing. Their team info right now says that the Cowboys are targeting Offense in the first. Avoid that garbage, listen to real analysts talk about characteristics.

I don't watch all the games, but I am still single. If I get married, I can see a side room with all of the College games on Tivo. :)

The Realist

Reaction score
NFLDS great for depth of players and info.

Slow to update like you said.

Moved Ware and Manny up way toooooo late, but if you're a draftnik you move em up mentally any way.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
You also have to add ESPNU to the Tivo. They run a ton of college games that you might not have Tivo'd.

Last night they had Vandy/Florida on. They ran it so we could see Cutler and Jackson but there are other players who may go on day two to watch.

Just take note of what players are SRs when they list them at the start and keep an eye on that number. Today they have Ohio State/Texas on at 3pm eastern and Akron/Memphis on at 9pm.

groverat

Reaction score
What little knowledge i have is the result of a college football addiction.

tar_heel16

Reaction score
Easiest way to inform yourself on all prospects between rounds 1 and 7 are draft guides. I bought The Sporting News' draft guide (excellent) and Smith and Street's (subpar) and skimmed through another. Once you buy one and become addicted, you just cant stop.

Reaction score
I am too old to memorize all that stuff...............I just read everything on this board about the draft and trust everything else to Rick Gosselin with all his draft data. I still think he is the best going........Kiper isn't even on the same planet!:)

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Can you imagine how it'd be if we had access to every video clip of ever video prospect, of every play they've ever played?

This is what amazes me. That someone has not started a clearing house for this.
Getting the clips from the College teams - storing them and then getting the NFL teams and scouting srevices to pony up some $$$ for the use of the files.

Doing it right over the internet.

Anyone got a spare server?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Longboysfan said:
This is what amazes me. That someone has not started a clearing house for this.
Getting the clips from the College teams - storing them and then getting the NFL teams and scouting srevices to pony up some $$$ for the use of the files.

Doing it right over the internet.

Anyone got a spare server?
May not be a bad idea, I'm sure someone is working on this.

kartr

Reaction score
Juke99 said:

I start looking at players the week after has completed. I look at players for the next draft. Also Gbn does a who to watch during the college football year, plus there's always underclassmen to watch their progress. I usually start at FootballGuys.com and page down to their draft section and it will direct you to other draft sites, plus GBN(GreatBlueNOrth) also has a draftlinks section that directs you to other draft sites.