How the NFL became financially great

My3Sons

Reaction score
I just had a back and forth with a poster on Roger Goodell. In my opinion, he should have been shown the door long ago. In the other posters opinion, he has taken the league to financial greatness. It is a reasonable debate. I think RG covered up the concussion problem to the detriment of the players and that alone should be reason enough for termination. I also submit our very own JJ deserves a lot of the credit for where the league is financially. JJ may be a poor GM, but his business skills and vision for revenue are the better reason as to why he wears a gold jacket.
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/30-years-ago-jerry-jones-made-his-biggest-deal

Creeper

Reaction score
This is just my opinion but I think Goodell, in the long run, will be exposed as an awful commissioner. His missteps on concussions, Ray Rice and others aside, his obsession with expanding the NFL to Europe and even Asia is eventually going to turn off the fan base in the US. There is such a thing as over exposure and Goodell is taking the NFL in that direction. I also think he has not paid enough attention to the quality of product we see on the field. I don't think the line has been crossed yet, but as the rights to broadcast the NFL get more and more expensive, those companies that bid on the rights will need to see more revenue opportunities - more commercial time. As it is games are getting longer in duration. Consider this fact, there is less than 10 minutes of action in a football game which is about 4% of the game duration. How much worse can this ratio get before fans start changing the channel?

Everything the NFL does not has become a spectacle. The draft, and even the release of the schedule, are all treated like main events. There is a straw that will break the camels back, even for the NFL.

Other sports once enjoyed great popularity, even tennis was once a hugely popular sport in the US. Bowling was big in the 60s but now you can barely find a live bowling event televised. Remember too, baseball was once the most popular sport before it faded. The NFL is not immune to the same falling popularity as other sports and I think Goodell is definitely heading in that direction for a slew of reasons.

I admit I am not a Goodell fan. I think he is controlled by a few powerful owners. That's great for their teams but for the rest of the league its not so great.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I just had a back and forth with a poster on Roger Goodell. In my opinion, he should have been shown the door long ago. In the other posters opinion, he has taken the league to financial greatness. It is a reasonable debate. I think RG covered up the concussion problem to the detriment of the players and that alone should be reason enough for termination. I also submit our very own JJ deserves a lot of the credit for where the league is financially. JJ may be a poor GM, but his business skills and vision for revenue are the better reason as to why he wears a gold jacket.
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/30-years-ago-jerry-jones-made-his-biggest-deal

Wouldnt matter if Roger was never here or Jerry was never here.
The NFL was going to explode due to the times changing.

Satellite TV made it possible to see every game, sports bars would buy the subscription and they would be packed with people watching their team. Then we could get it in the house with Direct TV. The internet also got going around the same time. So many things happened over a very short period of time that just was perfect for the nfl. Fantasy football back in early 90s was a PIA. I remember getting my scores using the box scores of news papers. Now. leagues are ran on the computer for free and Fantasy Football helped the league explode.

None of that had a damn thing to do with the Commissioner or any owner.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Wouldnt matter if Roger was never here or Jerry was never here.
The NFL was going to explode due to the times changing.

Satellite TV made it possible to see every game, sports bars would buy the subscription and they would be packed with people watching their team. Then we could get it in the house with Direct TV. The internet also got going around the same time. So many things happened over a very short period of time that just was perfect for the nfl. Fantasy football back in early 90s was a PIA. I remember getting my scores using the box scores of news papers. Now. leagues are ran on the computer for free and Fantasy Football helped the league explode.

None of that had a damn thing to do with the Commissioner or any owner.
More exposure, more money. It doesn't get any simpler than that. That's every business' motto, expand and grow. Just so happened, satellites and the internet came into play.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You can crack on Jerry as GM and rightfully so.
But as Owner and Contributor to the Financial success of the NFL and Cowboys
He has excelled.
Unfortunitly we fans care about wins a lot more than how wealthy the owners are.