How to build a winner during the QB contract cycle

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The NFL today starts and ends with a QB. You gotta have one. 40 million is the going rate. If Dak is worth it only time will tell but without a QB it is a non starter. After that you gotta be smart. You gotta have a young hungry team. You don't get to trade first round picks on WRs. You don't have the 20 million dollar WR, the 20 million dollar DE, the 15 million dollar RB, the 12 million dollar LB. You can't pay every starter on the O line 10+ million. You need to find deals. How do you do that? Find young guys that are hungry and find veterans on one year deals looking for a final pay day.

Dre11

Reaction score
I think you did a nice job of breaking down the options. The Cowboys will pay Dak and continue to not win anything. They aren't clever enough to roll the dice and go in another direction.

They'll score enough points to be discussed, lose against top competition, keep floundering on defense, and each summer Jerry will think he's got a SB roster. Wash, rinse, repeat.

The reason they won't win will not be because they pay Dak. It will be because they won't put what's left on defense. They don't need a great defense. They just need a competent defense, one that's middle of the pack or better in points allowed and turnovers and you give your team a chance to win.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Nope you saying its screwed is your issues they can mange the cap easily without your help..all those teams in cap trouble always seem to mange to sung a big time FA when needed. They know how to manage it and dont need your help..you are not smarter then team of lawyers and CPAs. Sorry but thats what’re you look ignorant **!

*yawn*

JayFord

Reaction score
Find someone or somebody that can evaluate players defensive side of the ball

it’ll instantly get us in playoffs constantly

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hey Kids. Deep thoughts here. As Dallas is not in the playoffs again I have been having deep thoughts about life and how to win in the cap constrained NFL. The cap was adopted in 1994 so its been around 26 years. If you look through time 2 winning models dominate - Win during the rookie deal and Superstars taking a discount. The only outlier is Mahomes and he just signed his deal so we need to see where KC is in a couple seasons. The top paid player is never the champion. Manning’s contract hurt the Giants, Ryan never won, Stafford never makes the playoffs, Rivers retires winning nothing, Rodgers hasn’t won since he became the highest paid, and it goes on and on. Wilson is an example of a rookie contract winner and Brady, of course, an example of a guy that won multiple times taking a discounted salary.

I am so back and forth on Dak. Love the guy but can’t get over the fact that this team has so many holes to fill and they need to pay him 40 plus? It is looking like this draft is going to be QB heavy early so almost no shot Wilson or Fields falls in our lap. Watching Wentz the thought of another ND St QB makes me vomit. I also think the chances of Dak taking a discount is zero. Add in the beyond moronic Zeke contract and I officially believe they can’t afford to pay Dak.

Looks to me like the best option is trading Dak, hope a QB drops to them and if not rolling the dice with a short timer and going into tankathon mode for next draft.

That’s my official stance. Am I wrong? What do you think?
I don’t think there’s an absolutely right or wrong answer. It’s proven teams can build a consistent contender after paying their franchise QB .

But the QB must be able to elevate some lesser supporting talent at times. And the drafts are critical as need top supporting talent on Rookie contracts.

The only other option besides having a top QB carry your team is a generational defense which is harder to keep together in Cap era.

And why maintaining your Franchise QB appears to be the most proven method in Cap era to stay in contention over a period of time. The level of their talent is critical though. The more Elite they are the easier to surround them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We need to get past the 40 million hurdle.

If we’re willing to pay 35, then 40 shouldn’t be a block. In a couple years the new bar will be closer to the50’s and Dak might not even be top 5 paid QB. Maybe not even top 10.

And why the market dictates Franchise QB contracts more than their pecking order in the league.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
smh. yep, let's pay them one quarter or a third of the cap and then dive deeply into the trash bins for the defense. Said nobody who builds a winner.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I also think the chances of Dak taking a discount is zero.
Looks to me like the best option is trading Dak, hope a QB drops to them and if not rolling the dice with a short timer and going into tankathon mode for next draft.

Dak wouldn't sign:
2019 - Making 2mil with 3mil prior earnings, with 3 years til free agency
2020 - Making 32mil with 5mil prior earnings, with 2 years til free agency

Now Dak is supposed to sign?
2021 - Making 38mil, with 37mil prior earnings, with 1 year til free agency

Looks to me like Dak's goal has always been to get to free agency. The Kirk Cousins Road to Riches. *Maybe* his injury, and the uncertainty about the future of the cap, has caused him to rethink that. But I doubt it.

Even if he wants to stay in Dallas now, (I think he *should* appreciate how the Star funnels cash into his pocket beyond his contract), why sign a contract in a cap squeezed year when the alternative is 38mil gtd, free agency, and greater leverage in a better market next year?

I'll be surprised if they can get him signed this year.

I would have traded Dak once we had him signed last year. Letting Dak go when we had Dalton signed on the cheap was the perfect setup. If Dak is back on the tag, and they can't get a long term contract signed, I'll be in favor of trading him again, while we still can.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Not long ago the threshold around here was 35 million since that is what Wilson is getting and now 35 mill is dust in the rear view mirror. With other QB who will be coming up for FA soon like Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield that 40 mark will be dust in the rear view mirror and these teams as well will cope with the salary cap. The cap also does not stand still and will continue to rise. Had Dallas take care of Dak contract 2 years ago he would be making around the 35 mill and none of this would seems as big of a deal as what is happening now. Personally I'm not concerned with a longterm deal around the 40 mark, I would be concerned if I knew the cap itself would never increase but that is not happening nor will it. Frankly I think some here do not want Dak period no matter what the contract looks like

Hardline

Reaction score
No team is letting a good to great young qb walk because of cap concerns. Not. one.
Cowboys may be an exception.
They're between a rock and a hard place.
If Dak gets franchise tagged for the second time he is as good as gone.

Hardline

Reaction score
I think you did a nice job of breaking down the options. The Cowboys will pay Dak and continue to not win anything. They aren't clever enough to roll the dice and go in another direction.

They'll score enough points to be discussed, lose against top competition, keep floundering on defense, and each summer Jerry will think he's got a SB roster. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Cold slap of reality here.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Cowboys may be an exception.
They're between a rock and a hard place.
If Dak gets franchise tagged for the second time he is as good as gone.

Not going to happen. There is NO way the Cowboys or any team in this league is going to allow a high performing QB to leave and put them in a situation where they now have to either fight for QB scraps in FA or play the QB lottery in the draft.

And that is on top of the massive holes they have to fill on defense. Any GM who decides this is the best path forward would be lucky to get to preseason.

Hardline

Reaction score
Not going to happen. There is NO way the Cowboys or any team in this league is going to allow a high performing QB to leave and put them in a situation where they now have to either fight for QB scraps in FA or play the QB lottery in the draft.

And that is on top of the massive holes they have to fill on defense. Any GM who decides this is the best path forward would be lucky to get to preseason.
I totally disagree.
History shows QBs with 2 franchise tagged are never signed.
Dak isnt as high performing as you think. And what he is asking for is beyond his performance level.
I literally dont see a scenario where you are correct.
And if you are correct then it will be a huge mistake to do so.
If the Cowboys were smart they would try to move up or hope one of the top QBs drop to them. I know its risky but we know exactly what we have in Dak.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't pay an RB or WR top dollar in today's NFL and certainly not both.

They are the two easiest positions to get production out of without having a top-rated player.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

sadly this is what I think too. Thats why I also now follow and root for other up and coming teams.
Makes the season more fun if one of them does good, this year my other teams were TB , buffalo, and titans.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hey Kids. Deep thoughts here. As Dallas is not in the playoffs again I have been having deep thoughts about life and how to win in the cap constrained NFL. The cap was adopted in 1994 so its been around 26 years. If you look through time 2 winning models dominate - Win during the rookie deal and Superstars taking a discount. The only outlier is Mahomes and he just signed his deal so we need to see where KC is in a couple seasons. The top paid player is never the champion. Manning’s contract hurt the Giants, Ryan never won, Stafford never makes the playoffs, Rivers retires winning nothing, Rodgers hasn’t won since he became the highest paid, and it goes on and on. Wilson is an example of a rookie contract winner and Brady, of course, an example of a guy that won multiple times taking a discounted salary.

I am so back and forth on Dak. Love the guy but can’t get over the fact that this team has so many holes to fill and they need to pay him 40 plus? It is looking like this draft is going to be QB heavy early so almost no shot Wilson or Fields falls in our lap. Watching Wentz the thought of another ND St QB makes me vomit. I also think the chances of Dak taking a discount is zero. Add in the beyond moronic Zeke contract and I officially believe they can’t afford to pay Dak.

Trade the rights to Dak to Detroit for Stafford?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I’d suggest the next then the Cowboys have a QB giving them top 10 production while making $465k a year, they make some moves to make a SB run.

cffl2323

Reaction score
This is probably dumb and requires the GM to have balls of steel but I was thinking the other day that an NFL team should treat their QB's somewhat like baseball treats starting pitchers. Draft a ton of them and hope some stick. Spend a day 1 or 2 pick on a QB every other year and trade them while there's still some value, say year 3 or 4. Again, I'm sure this will get eye rolls and laughs but why not dump tons of resources into the most important position in sports.