How to fix their anemic pass rush?

We already dont run enough plays for Williams to rush the passer.
This doesn't make sense.

Passrush opportunities are largely defined by the offense. There's no scheme you can run in which the DT doesn't get doubled if the offense chooses not to allow it.
 
Question is, would he move the needle enough?
Enough maybe not, the most out of what’s available likely so.

If he can get me 7-8 sacks in 12 games and bumps everyone down in the pass rush rotation to where they don’t need to be the main guys I’m happy.

We just need a pulse there, just average sack production as a unit would be a big step up to what they’re on pace for.
 
A lot of the guys being discussed are DT’s. The edge rushers are all spare to fare this year except for Mack.

The time to address this was March/April during free agency and the draft.
 
We just have to hope that the current pass rushers get better ......... there is no one coming to bail us out of this.
 
Outside of Maxx Crosby there aren't any truly pass rushers available, with the Raiders early success, he is most likely off the block. Could be the reason why Cowboys management pivoted in acquiring the high-end press corner. They still could add a mid-level type like a Josh Sweat, but probably would have to overpay. Point is, they isn't an elite edge rusher coming to save this defense.

As I mentioned, in another post Mike Pettine has worked with CP in the past while both of them in Green Bay. Matter of fact the Cowboys tried to hire him as a consultant onto CP's staff. His last stop was with the Vikings under Brain Flores, but he also was Rex Ryan's DC with the Jets:

Jets designed a defense around Darrell Revis with an average pass rush. They used a ton of simulated pressures. Not saying Porter is on the level as Revis, nor has to be, but this can work to generate more pressure and force the ball out more quickly.
I think some of y'all really keep acting like we have a 43 and have a 34 defense you don't need a defensive end pass rusher like you're talking about you need a better outside linebacker They're talking about Khalil Mack could be a guy who is available maybe less expensive than other guys.

I say no to another acquisition, CP do your job!!

but I say start in house you need to play Von Miller more Use the rookie and Eazy E, A little less I know you're going to say progress stopper and I'm saying, no it's not ,and use James Houston more, and change Overshown temporarily see how he responds to playing outside linebacker..

I really believe Agent Zero could play that position better than the other two young guys I really do Why not it keeps Winters and Barham where they're at no changes You just give my idea above plus overshown I think that it can help he has all 10 days after this next game to get acclimated in practice to playing outside linebacker..
 
This year I think the only option is to blitz more. Once they get Porter integrated into the defense and the Safeties return from injury, maybe some more blitzes from safeties and LBs would help. At some point they need to get more pressure. The Vikings are having success blitzing 70% of the time. I might not go that high but I would go higher than the 27% Dallas blitzes.
 
I believe Crosby was never in play at all.
Hence the Cowboys' lower offer than the Raiders' asking price.
But if they bit on the offer, then they would feel they got a good deal.

And agree, he is probably off the table now. Unless a team is willing to give up those 2 - 1st round picks. And probably none are.

Some analysts said about JPJ while in Pittsburgh. He is the type of player you can build a defense around. So you are onto something there.
He'd be in play if things were going our way. If they were 0-4 would Vegas listen to offers
 
This year I think the only option is to blitz more. Once they get Porter integrated into the defense and the Safeties return from injury, maybe some more blitzes from safeties and LBs would help. At some point they need to get more pressure. The Vikings are having success blitzing 70% of the time. I might not go that high but I would go higher than the 27% Dallas blitzes.
:hammer:
 
This doesn't make sense.

Passrush opportunities are largely defined by the offense. There's no scheme you can run in which the DT doesn't get doubled if the offense chooses not to allow it.
Its different when hes lined up as a 3-4 end controlling 2 gaps to hold the line of scrimmage then as a 3tech in a single gap trying to immediately penetrate the backfield which hes best suited for. Different responsibilities. Hes talented enough to do both but i would like to see him tasked to penetrate as a 3tech more then he has currently been doing.
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,193
Messages
14,671,833
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top