How to win a position. A thread of reflection

Scotman

Reaction score
Now that I can breath again following the revised status of Spear's injury, I wanted to post a simple observation of my own.

Having been a Boy's fan since 66 (birth), I have seen a trend that differentiates the good years from the bad.

In the good years, rookies like LA chase down LB's from behind. In the good years, young rookie RBs not only see the hole but hit it before it closes. All these things are true. But the biggest trend I see is in camp competition.

In the good years, guys win positions because they come on strong against good competition and win those jobs out right. One man steps forward just a little further that everyone else. There's real competition and someone wins. Good guys get cut. Better guys stay to play.

In the bad years, guys get the jobs by default. Everyone else steps backwards to leave one man standing. There's very little competition and the coaches go with the lesser of the evils they are presented with. Guys get cut who never play again and we try and root for the nice guys left.

Watching camp this year, we've got some real competition. Look at center. There's some real competition. Gurode is a much better center than guard. Don't underestimate him at his natural position. For that matter, look at NT. You don't think Glover is pushing? I don't care if he's undersized or not, if he's behind you, you better be pretty dang good. Singleton is a nice guy. All agreed? But he's going to be pushed hard. He's going to have a tough time holding his starting position.

There seems to be some legitimate depth this year. Some legitimate battles. Some good players are going to get cut and play for other teams.

This is going to be a good year.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice post and good points all around.

During the last few years you just got the feeling that some of the starters got the starting nod because none of the competition was very good.

This year the others are doing better and with that it improves quality of depth.

Scotman

Reaction score
I agree with this, though. If no one steps up, someone wins by default. Not what I want to see at all. I want there to be a clear winner. So far, I'm not hearing it.

This is truly the red thumb right now.

StateCollegeCowboy said:
But that FS position just sticks out like a sore thumb.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StateCollegeCowboy said:
But that FS position just sticks out like a sore thumb.

A REAL sore thumb. This reminds me of last year when we didn't address the CB position.

We can't give up long TD passes. We are not efficient enough offensively to keep pace.

FS is a real concern for me. I hope someone steps up, be it a player or the management.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Excellent post......very accurate observations.

burmafrd

Reaction score
FS is a LOT less important then one of the starting CB's. And Reece will be an acceptable player- better then what we had starting last year- if Davis does not step up.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
On our championship teams we didn't have all pros at every position. The FS position doesn't bother me one iota providing we get the pass rush and CB play as predicted. The FS position is one of luxury and not necessity.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
I agree that a good pass rush can cure most of the problems in any secondary. Just look at the steelers.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Scotman said:
There seems to be some legitimate depth this year. Some legitimate battles. Some good players are going to get cut and play for other teams.

This is going to be a good year.
It is better to have players leave for other teams (meaning out own roster is loaded) than bring in guys like VT and EG last year (meaning we really suck at some positions) just because we have no other options.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I agree that the more competition for 53 the better the team, but I'll add one nuance.

We are changing up things on defense, so the possibility is there that players may win spots, not necessarily starting spots, who should not make the team over a better player at another position.

I can absolutely see us running thin at WR and RB to keep an extra LB or DL for the 3-4.

TheHustler

Reaction score
Sarge said:
A REAL sore thumb. This reminds me of last year when we didn't address the CB position.

We can't give up long TD passes. We are not efficient enough offensively to keep pace.

FS is a real concern for me. I hope someone steps up, be it a player or the management.

While I wish we had gotten a FS vet before camp, FS is the one position we can "hide" a deficiency, and since our CBs should be a strength, I think we'll be okay out there. We just need someone technically proficient there.