CFZ How unoriginal are the schedule makers?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
200.gif

Hahahahahaha, well done!!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
It's odd to me because the NFL is generally all about knowing when they will get viewers regardless of matchup and when they need to put a spicy matchup out there to entice viewers. You would think they would put fewer division \ rivalry games in the opening weekend because they know they will get gobbled up regardless.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's odd to me because the NFL is generally all about knowing when they will get viewers regardless of matchup and when they need to put a spicy matchup out there to entice viewers. You would think they would put fewer division \ rivalry games in the opening weekend because they know they will get gobbled up regardless.

That is an interesting thought, though, I don't mind the spreading out of divisional games. I mean, they have to be played anyway. So, I'm okay with it. I just wish they'd give us a few more home finales.

JayFord

Reaction score
Yall said yall wanna open up vs NYG and close at Washington in 2024? and 2025?

thats a bet...book it

may as well just make NYG a permanent opening game

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yall said yall wanna open up vs NYG and close at Washington in 2024? and 2025?

thats a bet...book it

may as well just make NYG a permanent opening game

Pretty much. I should note that when I gave my prediction, it was because it's the safest bet for who we'd open against lol.

Creeper

Reaction score
At least we don't have to play Green Bay again. It seems like every year we would play them. But in a weird coincidence we will play Aaron Rodgers again. We can't seem to shake him.

I always thought the NFL should rotate the location of games where the same teams play each other year after year. If team A played Team B on the road one year, and they play team B again the next year, then Team A should be the home team. I know this makes scheduling much more difficult but I am pretty sure it can be done.

Finally, the addition of a 17th game means half the teams will play more home than away games and the other half will play more away games. I hate this even though they alternate the following year. Let's go back to 16 games and get rid of that extra game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Opening SNF, TV markets 1 and 4 and the #1 ratings team. They always want to start off with ratings they can brag about because they realize the play is really sub-par at the start of every season.

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
How unoriginal are the schedule makers? Honestly, they have the creativity of Jason Garrett calling a play. Have a look at this. Opening against the Giants on SNF. Closing on the road. It's amazing how rarely we close at home.

I'll give you an example. Did you know that we've only had 2 home games to close the regular season from 2014? The only two other seasons that we closed at home were 2015 against Washington and 2019 against....... Washington. Oh, and if that's not uncreative enough, let me show you all how many times we have finished our regular season against a particular division rivals:

Washington: 2014 (Away), 2015 (Home), 2019 (Home), 2022 (Away), 2023 (Away - based on a thread I saw)
Philly: 2016 (Away), 2017 (Away), 2021(Away)
NYG: 2018 (Away), 2020 (Away)

Assuming that we close at Washington, as expected, then that means we will have closed against them 5 times, with only 2 being at home. So, not only is closing with Washington unoriginally common, but they're it's usually at their place. Then again, they're the only team that we have closed at home against in nearly 10 years.

By comparison, here's how the other division rivals have finished:

Washington not only closed at home against us 3 times in that span, but they also closed at home with the Giants in 2016 and against Philly in 2018. That's 5 times they have hosted the season finale, including against us.

Philly - aside from the 3 times they closed at home against us, they closed at home against Washington in 2020 and NYG in 2021. That's 5 times (tbd for 2023), including against us, that they have closed at home in that same span .

NYG - aside from the two times that they've closed at home against us, they've closed at home against Philly in 2014, Philly in 2015, Washington in 2017, Philly in 2019, and Washington 2021 (2023 TBD). They've been the luckiest of the teams with 7 home finales.

So, in the span of nearly 10 years, we've had 2 home finales. Washington and Philly have had 5 home finales. The Giants have had 7 home finales. How unbelievably unoriginal is that? I don't understand how the NFL determines schedules, but I find this ridiculously unoriginal. Then again, FedEx field is usually an extra home game for us anyway. That said, it'd be great if the NFL would, I don't know, schedule us for a few more home finales. I did find it rather interesting to see the home finale counts. It's amazingly unbalanced when you break it down like this.

As for the Giants, we have opened against them in the following years in the same time span: 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019. Then, we opened against the Rams to open their stadium in 2020 and the Bucs in 2021 and 2022 before now opening again against the Giants this year. That's 5 years out of nearly 10 years that we've opened against them. This includes 3 years ina row of the same opener in the same place as 2015-2017 were at home (as was 2019).

So yeah, I think the NFL is a bit repetitive with their schedules making. They love to have us open against the Giants, and they won't schedule us for a home finale. Thoughts?
Personally I'm tired of opening on SNF.

Just give a regular afternoon game once please.

Motorola

Reaction score
Personally I'm tired of opening on SNF.

Just give a regular afternoon game once please.
Aint gonna happen with the Cowboys.
1st game their season will 99% of the time be a Sunday night NBC broadcast - or the late Sunday afternoon [4:30pm Eastern time/ 3:30 Central time] slot - which usually equates with a CBS or FOX doubleheader game televised nationally to most of the TV markets.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Gotcha. The Giants SNF opener thing is ridiculous already.
It's so damn boring to have that be our opener every other year on average, and many of us called it in the predictions thread. How hard is it to change that up by a week or two?

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's so damn boring to have that be our opener every other year on average, and many of us called it in the predictions thread. How hard is it to change that up by a week or two?
And they have to make it prime time every time. Jeez the entire nation ought to be sick of it.

Adreme

Reaction score
Lets do some math to demonstrate how much of nothing this is. Yes you are correct in thinking that on average there would be 5 road games and 5 home games. However with 32 teams it is not unusual for one to have exactly 8 road games.

First off lets do some simple math. There are 1024 ways that you could arrange a teams home/road games over a 10 year period (think of this as a coin flip where heads and tails are 50/50). Now if you want exactly 8 road games there are 45 ways that could happen (its a combination so just do 10 choose 2 and you will quickly simplify it to 45). 45/1024 is approximately 4.5%. Now if there were 16 teams there would be a greater than 50% chance of encountering 8/10 on what amounts to a coin flip. To go further with 32 teams you have about an 77% chance of seeing this happen. Note I am assuming each trial is independent but at the end of the day it is a fairly simple Binomial calculation.

So basically the Cowboys ended up on the bad side of something that was likely to happen 77% of the time to someone.