How was that not interference on Turpin (running into punt receiver)?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It does appear there were hands to the face. What I will say that is there are probably so many calls like this that simply get missed because the refs are only human, whether it be hands to the face here or a tug there. Its sucks for us of course, but so many people were commenting on the actual contact, which should be obvious to everyone was legal.
Appear? He uppercut him into the PR.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Not what the thread is about. People complained about a rule they didn’t understand then pivoted to the hands in the face issue when they realized they were wrong.

Sure they probably could’ve called hands to the face .
You said it was 100% legal. It wasn't.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
This has happened many times. Here’s an NFL ref explaining it after it happened a few years ago

How could it be legal to intentionally shove a player into another player who had called for a fair catch? Doesn't that violate the spirit of the fair catch?
Apparently not. Coleman explained the ruling after the game (quotes courtesy @RickMaese)

"What happened was, the two guys were blocking each other. The Washington guy got blocked into his own man, so there was no interference. All we had to figure out who touched it first. If the Wash player is stationary and just standing there and not trying to block, then he can't do that. If they are both trying to block, then he can knock him into him. Because they were both engaged, then that's why there wasn't a foul or anything wrong with that play. If the Wash player is stationary and just standing there and the Carolina player had come down there and knocked him, then it would have been totally different."
So if a guy is just sitting around, it's illegal for a defender to shove him into a guy calling a fair catch. But if they're in a tussle, it's allowed.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This has happened many times. Here’s an NFL ref explaining it after it happened a few years ago

How could it be legal to intentionally shove a player into another player who had called for a fair catch? Doesn't that violate the spirit of the fair catch?
Apparently not. Coleman explained the ruling after the game (quotes courtesy @RickMaese)

So if a guy is just sitting around, it's illegal for a defender to shove him into a guy calling a fair catch. But if they're in a tussle, it's allowed.
But then the gunner hit Turpin himself, and wasn't blocked into him. His own momentum caused the contact.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Appear? He uppercut him into the PR.
Sure, but my point stands. Re-watch every player on every play and you can probably call something. Missed calls are part of the game and not something anyone can control. And no, the nfl isn't purposely sabotaging it's most glamorous franchise.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Not what the thread is about. People complained about a rule they didn’t understand then pivoted to the hands in the face issue when they realized they were wrong.

Sure they probably could’ve called hands to the face .
No. It’s really about the entire play. And discussing all aspects of the play. That was asked early on in this thread.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So you’re one of those. OK I’ll play along. It didn’t get called so it’s 100% legal.

The gunner pushing Tolbert into Turpin was 100% legal.
Again, you cannot 'push' someone in the face. So the push was not legal.

Do you disagree that they play should have been flagged?

HungryLion

Reaction score
But the gunner made contact with Turpin also which is illegal.
A lot of folks on here are ignoring that and acting like the rule doesn’t clearly state that the kicking team cannot contact the returner. And the kicking team player 100% absolutely made contact with Turpin prior to the ball arriving. The rule in no way, shape or form, says it’s legal for the kicking team to contact Turpin, if his own player touches him first.

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
A lot of folks on here are ignoring that and acting like the rule doesn’t clearly state that the kicking team cannot contact the returner. And the kicking team player 100% absolutely made contact with Turpin prior to the ball arriving. The rule in no way, shape or form, says it’s legal for the kicking team to contact Turpin, if his own player touches him first.
Thats why I thought the refs would have noticed it on the replay/ review but it seems they completely ignored it! Even Aikman and Buck made no mention of it.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
The hands to the face was obvious, but they never mentioned it being a penalty. Maybe in that situation it’s not.
Hands to the face is only a penalty if it “is forceable or sustained”. I’m sure some think any contact is a foul but it is not.
Illegal use of hands probably should’ve been called there but the outcry about the gunner making a smart play and pushing Tolbert into Turpin is dumb.

Take a look at where the ref was standing in the video. He was behind the returner so he’s not going to see the hands to the face.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Hands to the face is only a penalty if it “is forceable or sustained”. I’m sure some think any contact is a foul but it is not.
Illegal use of hands probably should’ve been called there but the outcry about the gunner making a smart play and pushing Tolbert into Turpin is dumb.

Take a look at where the ref was standing in the video. He was behind the returner so he’s not going to see the hands to the face.
Why even bring up the "forceable or sustained" criteria, when it was very clearly both?

Praxit

Reaction score
You missed the hands to the face of Tolbert before the first impact as well. The refs' ability to miss not one, not two, not three, but FOUR fouls on the Chargers on a single play led me to believe the fix was in. Somebody needed the Chargers to at least cover or even win outright. It's the only explanation that makes sense. I mean the end zone no call against Gallup with the guy pulling his jersey out a good two feet for all the world to see .. Even if you don't call PI how is it not at least illegal contact and automatic first down?
. ..then you had Troy, siding right away Chargers ball. Seeing it blatantly on screen, Charger player running into Turps.

I thought 100% was Dallas ball. After commercial, I was in disbelief.