How was that not interference on Turpin (running into punt receiver)?

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
It was an absolutely horrendous call.

This ref group was junior league all night.

All the reffing so far this year has been a total disaster and disappointment for the number one sports organization in the US. The NFL should be ashamed of this. Between all the teams that is almost $143B and this is what you get.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The officials didn’t miss it. You’re missing it. Tolbert who was blocked into Turpin caused him not to be able to field the punt and go down. You clearly don’t understand the rule as it pertains to that play.
Did the defender make contact with Turpin as well as push Tolbert into him?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Did the defender make contact with Turpin as well as push Tolbert into him?
The defender made contact with Turpin AFTER Tolbert was blocked into him. Once Tolbert made contact with Turpin, causing him not to be able to field the punt and fall down, it makes no difference that the defender made contact with him afterwards. The defender has to make the initial contact with the returner for it to be interference. It’s very simple to understand but you don’t seem to get it or just simply won’t accept it.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The defender made contact with Turpin AFTER Tolbert was blocked into him. Once Tolbert made contact with Turpin, causing him not to be able to field the punt and fall down, it makes no difference that the defender made contact with him afterwards. The defender has to make the initial contact with the returner for it to be interference. It’s very simple to understand but you don’t seem to get it or just simply won’t accept it.
No.

The defender made contact well before he fell down. Though, that doesn’t matter. The defender can’t make contact with the receiver while he’s trying to field the punt. The ball was clearly still in the air as you can see Turpin looking up at it if you pay attention to
details in the pic.

The rule states that clearly and makes no exception.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No.

The defender made contact well before he fell down. Though, that doesn’t matter. The defender can’t make contact with the receiver while he’s trying to field the punt.

:rolleyes:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No.

The defender made contact well before he fell down. Though, that doesn’t matter. The defender can’t make contact with the receiver while he’s trying to field the punt. The ball was clearly still in the air as you can see Turpin looking up at it if you pay attention to
details in the pic.

After the game, NFL senior vice president of officiating Walt Anderson said in a pool report that fair-catch interference didn't apply in this instance since Turpin was contacted by a teammate who was actively blocking an opponent.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/chargers-manner-forcing-muffed-punt-135036358.html

nathanlt

Reaction score
The only one pulling things out of their butt is you. Lol I’ve posted links with officials who analyzed the play. There was an official on NFL Network who also explained the play and the rule and they all agreed the only foul was the facemask. You don’t understand how the rule works as it pertains to that play. If you want to act like one of those fans who thinks they know more than those who get paid to officiate games, good luck being taken seriously here.
You're wrong.... however, if you keep going, you'll be LOUD and wrong at the same time. Congrats!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're wrong.... however, if you keep going, you'll be LOUD and wrong at the same time. Congrats!
You’re saying the officials are wrong. Lol No one screams casual armchair fan more than you.

After the game, NFL senior vice president of officiating Walt Anderson said in a pool report that fair-catch interference didn't apply in this instance since Turpin was contacted by a teammate who was actively blocking an opponent.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/chargers-manner-forcing-muffed-punt-135036358.html

HungryLion

Reaction score
This isn’t made up nonsense. The links I posted weren’t made up nonsense and I haven’t personally attacked anyone. I’m the one being attacked. Any time the official rule is posted as a pertains to a particular play fans start tossing insults.

It wasn't a foul because Tolbert was actively blocking the Chargers' Taylor. That means Tolbert wasn't passive in that situation. However, as many fans noted, Taylor had grabbed Tolbert's facemask, which should have been a penalty and would have negated the Chargers' fumble recovery.
The bolded part of your post is a second part to the rule. I am talking about the first part of the rule that clearly states a kicking team player cannot make contact with a returner. It says it in clear, plain English.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The bolded part of your post is a second part to the rule. I am talking about the first part of the rule that clearly states a kicking team player cannot make contact with a returner. It says it in clear, plain English.
Yep, can't be more clear, but he's one of those guys that ALWAYS sides with the refs against Dallas no matter how comical.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yes, they are wrong. Their own rule book betrays them. Those who read the rulebook know the officials missed it. Senior vice president of officiating Walt Anderson is just brazenly speaking out against the rulebook.
:laugh:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You don’t get it and you never will. :rolleyes:

HungryLion

Reaction score
You don’t get it and you never will. :rolleyes:
No I get what you’re arguing.

What I’m telling you is that you are ignoring the first part of the rule over and over again.

Just because I don’t agree with your argument doesn’t mean I don’t “get it”. I totally understand what you’re saying. I just think it’s wrong.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No I get what you’re arguing.

What I’m telling you is that you are ignoring the first part of the rule over and over again.

Just because I don’t agree with your argument doesn’t mean I don’t “get it”. I totally understand what you’re saying. I just think it’s wrong.
You’re saying the league/officials who analyzed the play are ignoring the first part of the rule. You’re saying they got it wrong. What I’ve provided is their explanation.