How was that not interference on Turpin (running into punt receiver)?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
look again. sure looked like both the Charger and the Cowboy contacted Turpin.
I’ve looked several times and Tolbert was the first one to make contact with Turpin after he was blocked into him. I don’t think it matters if the defender made some contact with him after that. It was the initial contact that caused Turpin not to field the punt.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Found this on a Charger Forum

"Ja’Sir Taylor is in his second year in the league, and for the second straight year he has made the same momentum-altering play for the Chargers.

When a punt returner calls a fair catch, they are supposed to be given a “free” opportunity to catch the punt without disruption from a defender. However, a clever wrinkle for special teams gunners to remember is there’s no rule against your own teammate disrupting your fair catch."
https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/20...staley-cowboys-chargers-deane-leonard-broncos

If this is a "loophole" then why aren't more teams doing this? Need to get Bones on this ASAP!
Even still the one tonight was a penalty that should have been called because the chargers player made contact with the returner. Regardless of the cowboys played making contact, that alone is cause for a penalty.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’ve looked several times and Tolbert was the first one to make contact with Turpin after he was blocked into him. I don’t think it matters if the defender made some contact with him after that.
Why wouldn’t it matter. The penalty clearly states they cannot make contact with the returner. The chargers player made contact with turpin.

Nowhere in the rule does it stipulate about the cowboy player making contact first. So it’s meaningless.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
I’ve looked several times and Tolbert was the first one to make contact with Turpin after he was blocked into him. I don’t think it matters if the defender made some contact with him after that. It was the initial contact that caused Turpin not to field the punt.
And you'd be wrong

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t it matter. The penalty clearly states they cannot make contact with the returner. The chargers player made contact with turpin.

Nowhere in the rule does it stipulate about the cowboy player making contact first. So it’s meaningless.
The problem was Tolbert was blocked into Turpin. It was the initial contact by Tolbert that caused Turpin not to be able to field the punt.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fake news. The Defender in fact made contact with Turpin while engaged with Tolbert.... while simultaneously clamped to his face mask. I swear you live in an alternate reality.
However, the initial contact was made by Tolbert who was blocked into Turpin. This is why he couldn’t field the punt and got knocked down.

mldardy

Reaction score
I couldn't believe it either, I found this.

No excuse for the Special Teams coach to ever allow such a thing, and Tolbert should have to walk to the airport. It's a rule that should obviously be changed.

Yeah totally all the Cowboys fault there:rolleyes:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Found this on a Charger Forum

"Ja’Sir Taylor is in his second year in the league, and for the second straight year he has made the same momentum-altering play for the Chargers.

When a punt returner calls a fair catch, they are supposed to be given a “free” opportunity to catch the punt without disruption from a defender. However, a clever wrinkle for special teams gunners to remember is there’s no rule against your own teammate disrupting your fair catch."
https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/20...staley-cowboys-chargers-deane-leonard-broncos

If this is a "loophole" then why aren't more teams doing this? Need to get Bones on this ASAP!
Even playing devil's advocate and granting all that it still does not get rid of the blatant hands to the face which should have been the first flag thrown which then negates everything that happened after that be it the interference, blocking into, contact with Turpin, muff, recovery or even this so called loophole.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Even playing devil's advocate and granting all that it still does not get rid of the blatant hands to the face which should have been the first flag thrown which then negates everything that happened after that be it the interference, blocking into, contact with Turpin, muff, recovery or even this so called loophole.
Agreed the hands to the face was blatant and should have been called, but that being able to shove an opposing player into the returner seems messed up that it is an allowable act.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Looks like a foul by the rules to me. Pertinent text in red.

RULE 10 OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH A KICK, FAIR CATCH
SECTION 1 OPPORTUNITY TO CATCH A KICK
ARTICLE 1. INTERFERENCE. During a scrimmage kick that crosses the line of scrimmage, or during a free kick, members of
the kicking team are prohibited from interfering with any receiver making an attempt to catch the airborne kick, or from obstructing
or hindering his path to the airborne kick, regardless of whether any signal was given.
Item 1. Contact with Receiver. It is interference if a player of the kicking team contacts the receiver, or causes a passive player
of either team to contact the receiver, before or simultaneous to the receiver touching the ball. It is not a foul if a kicking team
player is blocked into the receiver or the contact is the result of a foul.
Item 2. Right of Way. A receiver who is moving toward a kicked ball that is in flight has the right of way. If opponents obstruct his
path to the ball, or cause a passive player of either team to obstruct his path, it is interference, even if there is no contact, or if hecatches the ball in spite of the interference, and regardless of whether any signal was given.
The blocker wasn't a *passive* player, he was an active one.
Item 2 says "passive player" as well.

I read the rules as putting no restriction on blocking an *active* player on the receiving team into the returner.

Seems like a crap rule, but crap rules no longer surprise me. If, as this thread indicates, the Chargers and other teams are weaponizing this rule, it will probably get changed next offseason.

I'm pushing 60 and have been a football fan since I was a kid. I've never seen a team do this before. Probably why the rule hasn't been canceled earlier.

However, I'd say the *first* paragraph was clearly fulfilled. The returner's path to the ball was "obstructed or hindered".

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

This conveniently does not discuss that the Chargers player also touched Turpin simultaneously to blocking Tolbert into him, nor does it even mention the obvious illegal hands to the face that preceded all of it.

It was a horrible call, and the league isn't going to get out of it. Might as well send the apology letter to Dallas tomorrow morning.

Also, for sake of clarity, the muff does not actually occur until Tolbert attempts to recover it.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think the keyword in this rule is causes a "passive" player. Sounds like if the returning team initiates contact the other team can push them into the return man.

More of that player safety the NFL is always talking about.