How we get better than last season

visionary

Reaction score
I'll start by saying this isn't what I think will happen, but rather, this is what I think needs to happen if we are to be better than last season. There's clearly been a talent drain on offense (Cooper, Collins, Wilson, Williams, Jarwin) and it has been replaced with far less. That means like Dan Quinn did last season, we need for our offense to get more from less.

So my list of things that need to happen to be better than last season:
  1. Tyler Smith needs to be on the rookie team of the year.
  2. Ceedee needs to have double-digit TD's and be force feed by Dak, scheme'd open by Kellen
  3. Ferguson needs to be a sneaky red zone threat and RedZone foil to Ceedee
  4. Zeke needs to get out of Pollard's way
  5. Farniok needs to take Biadasz's job
  6. Dak needs to stay healthy and have confidence in his O-line
That's a big ask, I have no confidence it will happen, but if we can make it happen then we could take a step forward from what we saw last season.

Are we gonna play any defense or what
:laugh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Dak had plenty of clean pockets in the 2nd half where he made bad reads and throws that he wasn’t making in the first half.

Clean pockets were much harder to come by. So was the running game to open things up. In fact Zeke was so bad they started playing a two deep zone which also hurt the passing game. Dak in the beginning of the 2nd half wasnt being as patient and taking what the defense was giving them.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Yah, so? He had plenty of clean pockets in the first half of the year where he made the wrong read.
The line wasn’t good but it performed much better than anything the Bengals had last year and their QB overcame. Dak played at an MVP level in first half and 2018 level in second half. I blame the calf and everyone better hope that was the reason because things won’t be perfect this year.

Flamma

Reaction score
How is it not likely that our young DT's dont improve? That is pretty much a given unless they get hurt. Lawrence is finally going to start a season healthy and ready to go. Parsons will be better. All these guys being in the defense for a 2nd year will help and Quinn knowing his personnel will help.

I meant everything that I said going right was not likely. But I like our DTs.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I'll start by saying this isn't what I think will happen, but rather, this is what I think needs to happen if we are to be better than last season. There's clearly been a talent drain on offense (Cooper, Collins, Wilson, Williams, Jarwin) and it has been replaced with far less. That means like Dan Quinn did last season, we need for our offense to get more from less.

2. Ceedee needs to have double-digit TD's and be force feed by Dak, scheme'd open by Kellen
That's a big ask, I have no confidence it will happen, but if we can make it happen then we could take a step forward from what we saw last season.

I think it simply comes down to 2 things.

1) Block better and establish a consistent run game
2) Cleanup penalty issues

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The line wasn’t good but it performed much better than anything the Bengals had last year and their QB overcame. Dak played at an MVP level in first half and 2018 level in second half. I blame the calf and everyone better hope that was the reason because things won’t be perfect this year.

Clean pockets were much harder to come by. So was the running game to open things up. In fact Zeke was so bad they started playing a two deep zone which also hurt the passing game. Dak in the beginning of the 2nd half wasnt being as patient and taking what the defense was giving them.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

How did their QB overcome? He lead the NFL in picks for most of the season. That playoff run was lead by the defense and the best kicking performance I have ever seen? Love Burrows, but he was a side note most of the time. He also had some semblance of a run game.

DanA

Reaction score
Are we gonna play any defense or what
:laugh:

Yeah but there's not a lot of unknowns there, it's pretty much the same as last season but hopefully with a few 2nd and 3rd year players improving. I guess Sam Williams is the unknown but even if he gives us nothing, we still have Armstrong taking the lions share of RDE snaps with Fowler behind him.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

Great list. I would add:

7. Steele needs to continue to develop and show us that the FO made the right decision penciling him in as the starter.

conner01

Reaction score
I think Biadasz did a decent job at C and I think he will improve. Now if someone else comes in and just takes his job then so be it.

How we get better than last year is simple: Defense gets better and the Offense doesn't sputter towards the ends of the season.
It was Biascz first full season and his first camp
He will get better
I like the bit we seen from Farniok and think he will push for the center spot
What we need is a few more guys from last years draft to take the next step. We need smith, Williams and Tolbert to really come in and make an impact

DanA

Reaction score
I think it simply comes down to 2 things.

1) Block better and establish a consistent run game
2) Cleanup penalty issues

Agree, but I'd add a 3rd:
3) Play calling
I could be wrong but I feel like a big part of the issues we faced last season was that the opposition figured out Dak's pre-snap reads, and then baited him into a plays. And it's hard to execute if the opposition have figured out what you're gonna do.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If you look at the schedule 10 games is a minimum range based on being healthy. I have them anywhere from 10 games to 13 games with 13 being unlikely. I have them at 12 games. Much would have to go wrong for them to win only 10.

Every fan has their personal ideas as to what to anticipate from our schedule in 2022.

Mine is around average, while many are more or less inclusive in wins and or losses.

The Cowboys have had somewhat more health problems in recent years than many.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

You only assume its been replaced with far less.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
its not about pass protection. its about the running game. if the running game doesn't work. offense has no chance.
If we spend some cap on a vet RB with gas still in the tank after cuts this running game has a good chance of improving, has to be the right RB and honestly I havent taken the time to look at who might come available.
This OL will improve this season, this roster needs to find the RB3 with potential to push.
Not just any RB that comes available, it needs to be a starter that knows he can shake things up a bit on this roster.

DanA

Reaction score
You only assume its been replaced with far less.

Not really, but I understand if you quantify things different.

We lost a:
  • 20m APY player (Cooper)
  • 15m APY player (Collins)
  • 5.5m APY Player (Jarwin)
  • 2m Player (Wilson)
  • 2nd Round Pick (Williams)

We have not spent close to that from a draft capital/salary cap perspective.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Dear boy, I largely agree with you except in 2 areas:
Blimey, so the Boys will have to do with less. To Gallup and a lesser extent CeeDee and Schultz. this should mean more opportunities.
Also, not so quick on Farniok. Let Farniok be battle tested before we anoint, mate,
Biadasz is our veteran.