How would you guys compare Merriman to ....

Woods

Reaction score
Tuck from ND?

I read there may me some injury concerns with Tuck, but ASSUMING he checks out 100%, who would you prefer?

Let's also assume that this coming season we use both the 3-4 and 4-3 defense for arguments sake.

I haven't seen either play, so I'm just trying to get an informed opinion.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Shawne Merriman:
  • School: Maryland
  • Position: Defensive End
  • Class: Junior
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Weight: 245lbs
  • Birthday: 5/25/84
  • 40 Time: 4.60 (estimated)

Positives: A great athlete who has learned to play with is hand in the dirt and could be used as a pass rushing linebacker as well. Merriman has very good speed (4.6) and does a great job in pursuit. He has been the man for the Terps defense this year and has really shown a dominating side that we had not seen.

Weaknesses: A ‘tweener, some teams will like him at defensive end and others will like him at outside linebacker. I would not be surprised to see a cover-2 team try him inside in workouts. He has never really been exposed to pass coverage, so he will have to learn that from scratch. If he is to stay at end, he’ll need to gain weight fast.

Overall Analysis: A very good defender that is not one-dimensional like some of the ends we have seen in recent years. He has been best known as a pass rusher, but he has the athleticism to play standing up. Merriman’s draft stock will be dependant on how well he does in workouts and if a team feels like they can use him at end or outside linebacker.

Reminds You Of: Terrell Suggs​

Justin Tuck:
  • School: Notre Dame
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 261lbs
  • Birthday: 3/29/83
  • 40 Time: n/a

Positives: A very quick player that is disruptive in the opposing team’s backfield. Tuck has the athleticism to be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, or an end in a conventional 4-3. After a solid junior season, Tuck declared for the NFL draft and should stay at defensive end for the time being.

Weaknesses: If he is staying at end like we project, he will have to bulk up a little. Tuck has a good burst, but will need to be heavier if he is going to beat offensive tackles. We also would like to see him use his hands better to get past blockers, instead of only using his speed.

Overall Analysis: Tuck has a chance to be a first rounder in a very deep defensive end class. Like a few others, he has the ability to play down or standing up and it will depend on where the team likes him. He’ll need to develop more pass rushing moves or learn to drop back into coverage. Once he has mastered that, Tuck should be a star.

Reminds You Of: Willie McGinest​

Woods

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Shawne Merriman:
  • School: Maryland
  • Height: 6'4"
  • Weight: 245lbs
  • Birthday: 5/25/84
  • 40 Time: 4.60 (estimated)

Positives: A great athlete who has learned to play with is hand in the dirt and could be used as a pass rushing linebacker as well. Merriman has very good speed (4.6) and does a great job in pursuit. He has been the man for the Terps defense this year and has really shown a dominating side that we had not seen.

Weaknesses: A ‘tweener, some teams will like him at defensive end and others will like him at outside linebacker. I would not be surprised to see a cover-2 team try him inside in workouts. He has never really been exposed to pass coverage, so he will have to learn that from scratch. If he is to stay at end, he’ll need to gain weight fast.

Overall Analysis: A very good defender that is not one-dimensional like some of the ends we have seen in recent years. He has been best known as a pass rusher, but he has the athleticism to play standing up. Merriman’s draft stock will be dependant on how well he does in workouts and if a team feels like they can use him at end or outside linebacker.

Reminds You Of: Terrell Suggs​

Justin Tuck:
  • School: Notre Dame
  • Height: 6'5"
  • Weight: 261lbs
  • Birthday: 3/29/83
  • 40 Time: n/a

Positives: A very quick player that is disruptive in the opposing team’s backfield. Tuck has the athleticism to be an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, or an end in a conventional 4-3. After a solid junior season, Tuck declared for the NFL draft and should stay at defensive end for the time being.

Weaknesses: If he is staying at end like we project, he will have to bulk up a little. Tuck has a good burst, but will need to be heavier if he is going to beat offensive tackles. We also would like to see him use his hands better to get past blockers, instead of only using his speed.

Overall Analysis: Tuck has a chance to be a first rounder in a very deep defensive end class. Like a few others, he has the ability to play down or standing up and it will depend on where the team likes him. He’ll need to develop more pass rushing moves or learn to drop back into coverage. Once he has mastered that, Tuck should be a star.

Reminds You Of: Willie McGinest​

Thanks.

Both seem like they could be good enough to get to the QB.

If that's the case, we could probably trade down with the 11th and pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd, and still get one of these guys.

Reaction score
trickblue, is that your personal assessment of the 2, or did you pull that from somewhere? I'm curious, because I was thinking of Merriman as similar to Suggs, also.

trickblue

Reaction score
BigDInCharlotte said:
trickblue, is that your personal assessment of the 2, or did you pull that from somewhere? I'm curious, because I was thinking of Merriman as similar to Suggs, also.

No... it is from draft blitz... but the comparison to Suggs is very legitimate...

I thought so as well when I watched him play this year...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
We also would like to see him use his hands better to get past blockers, instead of only using his speed.

Remind me of: Ebenezer Ekuban.

I'm a Notre Dame fan and I still wouldn't take him in the first round.

trickblue

Reaction score
Rack said:
Remind me of: Ebenezer Ekuban.

I'm a Notre Dame fan and I still wouldn't take him in the first round.

He may be around through the second... this isn't a great draft but it is fairly deep at DL...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Tuck is more like Suggs, in that they were both strictly pass rush defensive ends in college with their hands down. Merriman played a lot like a conventional linebacker at times. Some 4-3 teams think he'll be a great weakside Keith Bullock linebacker. I've seen both play, and I think Tuck is more of the instinctual pass rusher, Merriman is the better athlete.

Woods

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Tuck is more like Suggs, in that they were both strictly pass rush defensive ends in college with their hands down. Merriman played a lot like a conventional linebacker at times. Some 4-3 teams think he'll be a great weakside Keith Bullock linebacker. I've seen both play, and I think Tuck is more of the instinctual pass rusher, Merriman is the better athlete.

Which player do you prefer?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Personally, I like Tuck better. I saw Tuck play before his injury, and he was a phenom natural pass rusher. If anyone reminds me of Ekuban, it would be Merriman ... more of an athlete than a football player. Especially if Merriweather is being talked about with the #11 pick. That's too early. Merriweather is going to put up some eye-popping numbers at his workout, but I was never all that impressed with him as a football player. He had nice numbers, so maybe I wasn't watching the right games.

trickblue

Reaction score
Rack said:
Who's Merriweather?

Didn't she play Catwoman on Batman...

She later appeared as Barnaby Jones' daughter-in-law I think...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Didn't she play Catwoman on Batman...

She later appeared as Barnaby Jones' daughter-in-law I think...

Aren't you thinking of Merridian?

trickblue

Reaction score
Rack said:
Aren't you thinking of Merridian?

Naaahhh... Lee Merriwether... ;)

meriwether.jpg
barnabyj.gif

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Naaahhh... Lee Merriwether... ;)

meriwether.jpg
barnabyj.gif

Oh, thought you were referring to Chase Merridian or whatever her name was.

Now we're way off topic.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Mocks are pretty meaningless at this point in the game, but the Cowboys would have significantly upgraded their team speed with those two picks.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
If Shawne Merriman, is even close to being as good a football player as the last DLman we drafted out of Maryland (Randy White) then by all means do it. :)

Landry also tried switching Randy to LB as well.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
If Shawne Merriman, is even close to being as good a football player as the last DLman we drafted out of Maryland (Randy White) then by all means do it. :)

Landry also tried switching Randy to LB as well.

Yeah but switching from DE to LB is common. Going from DT to LB is unheard of.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
wiwithout a doubt merriman is the more complete player and better athlete - Merriman every day of the week
InmanRoshi said: