How would you rank the biggest needs?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even though offenses have evolved into passing ones, the way a defense is properly built has not changed. It begins with the hourglass, DT's, MLB and S's to take away the middle of the field because every OC wants to go the shortest distance between two points. And they know the quickest way to demoralize a D and frustrate the O on the sideline is to run it right up the gut. That's challenging a D's manhood.

The Cowboys, unless Johnson or Parcells was in charge, have never placed enough value on DT's or S's and have not had stellar D's because of it. Booger likes the sexy DE and CB picks.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
do you think stephen and jerry don't agree the dt is important, or there just hasn't been anyone available, either thru free agency or the draft when we pick to fill the position. we certainly bring in lots of guys to try at the position. we drafted Collins, got woods, brought in jihad last year as well as a couple of others. I think they get the point. there just hasn't been anyone available. true run stuffing dt's are as rare as franchise qb's and #1 wr's.
I do not think they know how to build a D. The DT's and S's are the afterthoughts. If they've got some leftover money or additional picks, that's when they'll address those positions. They've passed up many good DT's.

75boyz

Reaction score
Because it's true. And it's not just our fans, evaluators and scouts all over the NFL agree. And the reason? Trenches win super bowls. Yes, other positions are important, they all are. However, Weakness in the trenches on either side of the ball sabotages everything you're trying to do. Almost impossible to win a super bowl being weak in the trenches.

Yep, so very true. Offensively speaking if we don't get a decent OT and keep going on the tried and true Cowboy strategy of hoping that Tyrons body holds up and hoping that Fleming can at least impersonate an NFL swing tackle we're doomed. Because that mentality begs a replay of the "Post Atlanta syndrome with Chaz Green" scenario all over again.
Not sure why Offensive Tackle is not discussed/emphasized more here and it's all defensive tackle talk.
Tyrons health has become very similar to Sean Lee's. I know historically that pick 58 or beyond has not produced quality starting left tackles in the NFL but the Cowboy draft team better not ignore OT if one fell to us. And for goodness sake put the best 5 out there to include Looney if he earns it in camp. Also check on if Williams would be a better RT than Collins and Looney/Collins could compete for LG. Get Sua Filo in the mix too. Actual competition for starting spots. Novel idea.

Last edited:

Pants

Reaction score
1. A better program to "weed" out the drug guys or fix them so they can, you know, play?
2. A GM that has no controlling stock in the team and whose name does NOT end in "Jones"
3. A new HC that is not stuck in 1990's, and I don't want a re-tread, formerly-HC guy like Wade Phillips type (we saw how that worked out)
4. DT (related to #1 above)
5. DE (related to #1 above)
6. Backup RB that can actually catch a pass on 3rd down and move the chains and also has a little running ability to spell zeke once in a while

Note: Honorable mention to OL for someone that can help when the inevitable injuries occur

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I keep seeing safety, and maybe I don't remember all the times we got shredded deep. I understand the lack of making plays, but that's on on corners as well.

I would go
1a) DT
1b) DE
3) Tackle (right or left - we can't keep paying this offense crazy money at every position)
4) Safety (of course would prefer a playmaker)
5) LB (I have a feeling Jaylon is going to want a truckload of money)

I assume if you don't sign Beasley (I would have given Witten's money to him), then you can alway put Cooper in the slot when needed. I don't understand bringing Hurns back...don't see how he's more valuable than Beasley.

This is also assuming they are going to go all in on Dak - my biggest concern with him is I believe your QB should make players around you better and I don't know that he does that.

Dallas needs a veteran QB to backstop Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
Gotta hope the Rams playoff beat-down will inspire the FO to invest in the DT position.
IDK, man, it's happened on big stages before, and we still didn't get it. We've been run over quite often up the middle all the way back to Ratliff.

Hadenough

Reaction score
For some reason, our fan says it's DT EVERY year and every year, Stephen and Jerry disagree (lol)

BTW... we STILL don't have a starting TE. Witten signing doesn't change that.....
I think Jerry just doesnt like big fat 350lb DTs.
As far as TE goes if you dont have Ertz, Gronk, Kelce or Kittle then your TE might as well be ranked #20 because anyone after those guys isnt doing much. Dallas with Witten, Jarwin, Swaim and schultz should be able to get some kind of rotation and value out of the position.

cern

Reaction score
I do not think they know how to build a D. The DT's and S's are the afterthoughts. If they've got some leftover money or additional picks, that's when they'll address those positions. They've passed up many good DT's.
as much as I like to give Stephen far more credit than jerry, it's getting hard to argue your point. we have to be better than heath and need a dt better than collins or woods. if neither happens during free agency, the draft, or a trade, I will totally concede to your way of thinking.

Hadenough

Reaction score
do you think stephen and jerry don't agree the dt is important, or there just hasn't been anyone available, either thru free agency or the draft when we pick to fill the position. we certainly bring in lots of guys to try at the position. we drafted Collins, got woods, brought in jihad last year as well as a couple of others. I think they get the point. there just hasn't been anyone available. true run stuffing dt's are as rare as franchise qb's and #1 wr's.
They better hold on to Woods! He was doing good until he got hurt.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Jerry just doesnt like big fat 350lb DTs.
As far as TE goes if you dont have Ertz, Gronk, Kelce or Kittle then your TE might as well be ranked #20 because anyone after those guys isnt doing much. Dallas with Witten, Jarwin, Swaim and schultz should be able to get some kind of rotation and value out of the position.
And it's not even the huge guys he won't take. He only wants slimly built DT's, and while they'll occasionally penetrate and make a play behind the LOS, the flipside of that is we'll allow huge runs up the middle way too often as our penetrators easily get pushed out of the way.

And this becomes an even bigger problem in the playoffs, when teams that get there often focus on the trenches, so our slim DT's get owned way too often.

cern

Reaction score
They better hold on to Woods! He was doing good until he got hurt.
he was a good find, but we still need to be stronger up the middle. the rams exposed the weakness to a fault. as others have suggested, perhaps the cowboys should emphasize the middle of the d-line and be less concerned with the edge rushers.

kskboys

Reaction score
he was a good find, but we still need to be stronger up the middle. the rams exposed the weakness to a fault. as others have suggested, perhaps the cowboys should emphasize the middle of the d-line and be less concerned with the edge rushers.
The hardest pressure by far for any QB to handle is pressure up the gut. Pocket pushers would render even Brady ineffective.

cern

Reaction score
The hardest pressure by far for any QB to handle is pressure up the gut. Pocket pushers would render even Brady ineffective.
we've seen it happen. no qb is any good with pressure in his face.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
"How would you rank the biggest needs?"

Biggest needs get ranked first and then the next biggest needs go second and so on and so forth. See how that works? The biggest needs are determined weighing the importance of the position verses the lack of talent currently possessed. On offence the most critical positions are QB, RB, and WR because those positions handle the ball the most. I think we are currently okay at QB and RB but could use some help at WR. Also TE should be considered even though we have Witten coming back for one season. On defense the linemen & linebackers IMO, are the most critical positions. Currently we should consider upgrading our interior line positions. Linebacker is not a weakness on this team. So to sum it up I have WR, TE and DT as our biggest needs, in that order.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I keep seeing safety, and maybe I don't remember all the times we got shredded deep. I understand the lack of making plays, but that's on on corners as well.

I would go
1a) DT
1b) DE
3) Tackle (right or left - we can't keep paying this offense crazy money at every position)
4) Safety (of course would prefer a playmaker)
5) LB (I have a feeling Jaylon is going to want a truckload of money)

I assume if you don't sign Beasley (I would have given Witten's money to him), then you can alway put Cooper in the slot when needed. I don't understand bringing Hurns back...don't see how he's more valuable than Beasley.

This is also assuming they are going to go all in on Dak - my biggest concern with him is I believe your QB should make players around you better and I don't know that he does that.

For the starters:

1. QB
2. DE (if Gregory wont be able to play)
3. DT
4. TE

kskboys

Reaction score
"How would you rank the biggest needs?"

Biggest needs get ranked first and then the next biggest needs go second and so on and so forth. See how that works? The biggest needs are determined weighing the importance of the position verses the lack of talent currently possessed. On offence the most critical positions are QB, RB, and WR because those positions handle the ball the most. I think we are currently okay at QB and RB but could use some help at WR. Also TE should be considered even though we have Witten coming back for one season. On defense the linemen & linebackers IMO, are the most critical positions. Currently we should consider upgrading our interior line positions. Linebacker is not a weakness on this team. So to sum it up I have WR, TE and DT as our biggest needs, in that order.
Skill positions do you no good if your OL sucks, and you're not going to beat playoff teams w/o a disruptive DL. Too much attention paid to CB's and WR's has gotten us kicked out of the playoffs too many times. Trenches win super bowls.