How would you rate Tony Dixon's special teams play?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
He finished last season 10th on the team in special teams participation (169 plays) and 12th on the team in special teams tackles (three solo, three assists).

In 2003, he finished second in participation (322 plays) and first in tackles (11 solo, nine assists).

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I voted 'poor' only because there isn't anything lower. We didn't spend a 2nd round draft pick on him to play special teams. He played special teams because that was the only way he could get on the field.

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
I voted 'poor' only because there isn't anything lower. We didn't spend a 2nd round draft pick on him to play special teams. He played special teams because that was the only way he could get on the field.

What does his draft selection or ability to play safety have to do with his ability to play Special Teams??

I think a few of you are letting your distaste for his play on Defense effect your vote here...

He was not a bad Special Teams player... He was a horrible Safety...

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
StonetheCrow77 said:
What does his draft selection or ability to play safety have to do with his ability to play Special Teams??

I think a few of you are letting your distaste for his play on Defense effect your vote here...

That is why I put this poll on here cause as you know ,on the skins board I disagreed with you on his ST play , then I thought maybe I am making a harsh judgement on his defensive play.
That being said I still think he stinks on ST.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
I still think if you can only play Special teams you better be great at it.
I think everyone agrees he is not.

PaEagleHater

Reaction score
Poor, even if he would of been a 7th rounder or a undrafted free agent. For a second round pick I am going to say "X" or "Y", only because there has to be a few worse then him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StonetheCrow77 said:
The only problem with that is he was drafted to be a safety. I don't care if he is consider the best special teams player in the history of the NFL. The fact is he wasn't drafted for that. He only ended up being a special teams player because he sucked so much at safety. You don't spend a 2nd round pick on special teamers.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Judging by Adam's stats, throughout his career he probably graded out to average to maybe slightly above average.

His draft position really has absolutely nothing to do with the question as posed.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
His draft position really has absolutely nothing to do with the question as posed.
I completely disagree. He was a 2nd round draft pick to play safety not special teams. If he didn't suck at what he was drafted at he probably wouldn't have been playing special teams. The question was - How would you rate Tony Dixon's special teams play? Considering he shouldn't have been playing there in the first place........ :mad:

scottsp

Reaction score
E. A rating similar to that of Dexter Coakley as upback on the punt team.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I must have missed the new NFL rule change were a player is deducted or awarded tackle statistics based on where he was drafted.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
I must have missed the new NFL rule change were a player is deducted or awarded tackle statistics based on where he was drafted.
As far as I know that rule has not been changed. :rolleyes:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I didnt know we should degrade [playersbecause of a mistakeon JErry's part. Dixon did not ask to be drafted in the second round, he did what he could , it was not great but we shouldnt grade him harder because of what Jerry did. If he was a 6th rounder or UFA, would you be as mad

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I think he led the defense in tackles his rookie season, IN PRE-SEASON ONLY, that is the only thing I've ever see him do worth anything... The 01 Cowboy draft class has to go down as one of the worst in NFL history... I'm glad that joke of a draft is gone... 00 is not far behind either.