Hula Bowl

Displaced Cowboy

Reaction score
I posted about him during the bowl season and i'll reiterate it now.

We NEED to select WR Brandon Marshall from UCF.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy said:

He looked good. The other WR In the Shriner game - Coldcut. Big guy 6-4 went and got everything. Best thing since sliced ham. Haas looked good and Orr stared in practices but went down with cushion.

RB from FSU looked deal.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Never heard his name mentioned at all, yet his name and number were in when they announced the squads - must have pulled out for some reason !

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
McNeil and Degory no showed.

Saw their names added to Senior Bowl rosters. Thats Bush league stuff. You committ you play - don't no show because you get Sr Bowl shot. Heck - play both then.

I have Character flags on both on my board now. There is no I in Team.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
So, just read on another thread that Mcneil and Degory got invites to the senior bowl and pulled out of the Hula bowl.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Opps just saw Nors reply. My question would be - when did they pull out, did they give plenty of notice, if it was just a no show,shame on them. But ya gotta think if you can go and showcase your talent on the big stage, you would go for it.I'm sure they both received "advise" as what to do...

parcellsguys

Reaction score
Why would Mcneil play in the Hula after he gets an invite to the Senior?

The Senior Bowl is where you want to shine. If he got nicked up then he wouldn't have had that opportunity to do so.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
parcellsguys said:
Why would Mcneil play in the Hula after he gets an invite to the Senior?

The Senior Bowl is where you want to shine. If he got nicked up then he wouldn't have had that opportunity to do so.
He must have been a late add to Sr Bowl. Not sure why he no showed to Hula. He should not have put his name in then?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The Senior Bowl's roster is filled with players that will go on the first day, the Hula Bowl is for guys that are late first day early second type players and the East/West Shrine game had a handful of first day prospects but a majority are guy that are second day or UDFAs. If you wanted to improve your draft stock which one would you go to if invited to all three?

A bad week at the Senior Bowl can cause a player to drop (witness Pettiti falling from a mid-third grade to getting drafted in the sixth) but a bad week at the other two can drop a player totally off the board.

marchetta

Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy said:

Brandon Marshall WR Central Florida

Strengths
Brandon is a big, strong, tall, powerful receiver. He has very strong hands and catches the ball away from his body. He shows excellent quickness for his size and has a great burst off the line of scrimmage. Brandon does a very good job blocking and shows excellent leadership skills. He looks to be an excellent teammate and at this stage of the draft, does not seem to be on anyone's radar screen except for ours here at THR.

Needs to Improve
Some people will suggest that he might be a TE. Trust me, he is too quick in and out of his breaks to waste at TE, although if you want to put him in the slot on third and long, he will impact.

Bottom Line
I think the most intriguing aspect of Brandon’s game is that he has a relativity short stride for such a large person. We are definitely talking about 1st round talent that should be picked sometime the first day, but you never know what will happen in a draft. Brandon’s first step off the line is large, but quick. Then I notice that he never over-strides after that first step. This keeps him on balance to make quick cuts, stops and fakes while he is running his routes at full speed. At his size, he is probably the quickest in and out of his breaks that I've ever seen. This makes his 40-yd speed, no matter what it is, a non-issue. He has very strong "run after catch" abilities along with strong hands -- and is mentally tough. He is also just learning the WR position. He really wants to be “the man”, but also understands how he should fit in a team concept. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to take Brandon at the end of the first round, but as you all know, that’s just me and not the reality of where a player will actually go in the draft. To be truthful, isn’t that what THR is all about -- the ability to project when a player will be taken in the draft? THR is not solely about profiling players. What makes THR so valuable to so many GM’s, Head Coaches, Directors of Scouting, National TV Commentators and Player Agents is the over 80% accuracy rating of what round or what day a player is projected to be picked in the draft. So now, I have profiled a sleeper. It should be fun to see how many people agree with me before the draft and then where he gets picked. I think Brandon has big time written all over him. A new Marshall has come to town and he’s ready to clean up. His name is Marshall Brandon! (Or is it Brandon Marshall? I always get that mixed up!)

-- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

fldude2k1

Reaction score
Marshall is great. He didn't get to showcase his WR skills until this year because he had to play safety for us because of injuries. He is very athletic, strong, and fast for his size.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
fldude2k1 said:
Marshall is great. He didn't get to showcase his WR skills until this year because he had to play safety for us because of injuries. He is very athletic, strong, and fast for his size.

Yeah, I loved what I saw, from the little bit of Hula bowl I saw from Marshall. Would be great if Cowboys could pick him up, probably in 3rd round? NOt sure how he will end as far as draft projections go though.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Yeah, I loved what I saw, from the little bit of Hula bowl I saw from Marshall. Would be great if Cowboys could pick him up, probably in 3rd round? NOt sure how he will end as far as draft projections go though.
I like Jeremy Mincey. 3 sacks/ton of pressure