Human advancement

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I hear ya Sarek, cool topic:
If we didn't have to keep the hamster wheel spinning, what would we do? Expand on intellectual curiosity and advancement, or become complacent and content?

Motivational roots are hard to gauge; if we didn't have to fight for survival, how hard would we really fight? Sloths galore, or does society as a whole become able to evolve once the basic need of (busy work/working/earning a living) is out of the way. Soooo, now that we won't all have to kill each other for resources...what would we do?

Could you imagine, we don't like offering unemployment, yet alone a UBI. We're generations away from that broaching that type of idea (Yang). That feels like it could be tested in one of those futuristic norwegian countries in time.

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
Assuming the simulation doesn't get reset before then! lol j/k

I don't know...there are so many different ways things could go.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I hear ya Sarek, cool topic:
If we didn't have to keep the hamster wheel spinning, what would we do? Expand on intellectual curiosity and advancement, or become complacent and content?

Motivational roots are hard to gauge; if we didn't have to fight for survival, how hard would we really fight? Sloths galore, or does society as a whole become able to evolve once the basic need of (busy work/working/earning a living) is out of the way. Soooo, now that we won't all have to kill each other for resources...what would we do?

Could you imagine, we don't like offering unemployment, yet alone a UBI. We're generations away from that broaching that type of idea (Yang). That feels like it could be tested in one of those futuristic norwegian countries in time.

To me UBI is just a way of keeping the old system going when there isn't many jobs left, which will be soon. It's a way of keeping dollars important until they are no longer needed. If people don't have money the money system itself would fall apart. I see UBI as good and bad, it's really just a band aid to keep things going until the day when no financial economy is needed what so ever.

Now the part of what we would do with our time. So for this lets go past UBI and to the part where no financial requirement is needed by anyone for anything. So you need a new house, they recycle your old one and build a new one in days with no human labor. You need a human heart and its ready for implanting in a few hours/days, etc etc. Now the question is what to do with your time. I can't answer for everyone, but for me i would be constantly working on the self by learning everything/anything and keeping my body as active as possible. I would assume that space travel would be available to the masses by then and this is something i would like to do but not for very long, maybe a couple of years of travel then back home/earth.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Assuming the simulation doesn't get reset before then! lol j/k

I don't know...there are so many different ways things could go.
Simulation theory, this is gaining momentum and is a very interesting topic. There are quite a few variables and lots of questions unanswered about this topic, i been trying to logically think about some of them and have not yet formed a opinion. I will say that if this is all a simulation it is quite a impressive one. We surley have some level of free will and that would make the simulation interesting to us inside it and it would also make the simulation interesting to those who made it. Who actually made it would be a debate that could last a very long time, it could be a creator of some sort, it could be a being living in another dimension, it could be humans who evolved and destroyed there own surroundings and then made the simulation to continue living in some way. These questions could go on and on for some time.

Last edited:

nobody

Reaction score
Simulation theory, this is gaining momentum and is a very interesting topic. There are quite a few variables and lots of questions unanswered about this topic, i been trying to logically think about some of them and have not yet formed a opinion. I will say that if this is all a simulation it is quite a impressive one. We surley have some level of free will and that would make the simulation interesting to us inside it and it would also make the simulation interesting to those who made it. Who actually made it would be a debate that could last a very long time, it could be a creator of some sort, it could be being living in another dimension, it could be humans who evolved and destroyed there own surroundings and then made the simulation to continue living in some way. These questions could go on and on for some time.

I don't believe that it's a simulation. I don't totally discount the notion though. If it is, perhaps not everyone you meet is a person, but a program, or maybe we are all self-aware programs, or think we're self-aware....or some are real and some aren't... who knows? But that would be assuming a simulation.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I don't believe that it's a simulation. I don't totally discount the notion though. If it is, perhaps not everyone you meet is a person, but a program, or maybe we are all self-aware programs, or think we're self-aware....or some are real and some aren't... who knows? But that would be assuming a simulation.
"If it is, perhaps not everyone you meet is a person" ...............Sometimes i find myself thinking about a topic before going to sleep, the kind of topics that most people wouldn't think about, then the next day i will see that very topic on the news or someone will mention it to me. Freaky very freaky, but i agree and also don't believe it's a simulation, but who knows.

nobody

Reaction score
"If it is, perhaps not everyone you meet is a person" ...............Sometimes i find myself thinking about a topic before going to sleep, the kind of topics that most people wouldn't think about, then the next day i will see that very topic on the news or someone will mention it to me. Freaky very freaky, but i agree and also don't believe it's a simulation, but who knows.

That's called synchronicity and I've noticed it's been happening more and more lately. It definitely is weird. I don't know what it means that it's been happening more, but it's fascinating.

Creeper

Reaction score
If money was based off the work a person does, what could we not accomplish? The powers that be could stop taxing people and create a budget of 900 trillion dollars a month.

Undeveloped countries could build electric railroads, electric cars, electric planes and helicopters. They could build as many hospitals, schools, colleges, recycling centers, and prisons as their hearts desire. So every inch of the planet could be just as developed as the U.S. But without the huge carbon footprint that the U.S. has.

But as long as money is based off of resources...there will never be enough to go around. And that's how you end up with high unemployment rates, high crime rates, widespread poverty, homelessness and starving people. All because we don't have enough, of one single invented item, money.

If we invented/created it, then why does it have a chokehold on our livelihoods?

Money is only an expression of what one will exchange for something of value. Money itself has to have a foundation of value or it could not be exchanged for anything. The more money there is, the less it is worth.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Money is only an expression of what one will exchange for something of value. Money itself has to have a foundation of value or it could not be exchanged for anything. The more money there is, the less it is worth.
And that foundation is now really nothing more than some group's word. At least when it was backed by gold somewhat it had a semi solid foundation. There's too many projects and people and not enough gold to back it all. Eventually the word they use will no longer work just like the gold no longer works. It's a system headed for complete breakdown but they have decided to ride it out as long as they can. I would agree with them that it is still too early to move away from the current system but they know it will happen one day sooner rather than later.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
If the U.S. creates a second currency that's only good in the U.S. it will have no effect on the global economy. All they have to say is we guarantee you its worth something because you've earned it. We are already in dept to ourselves for over a trillion dollars, so what's the difference? Our money right now is based off of a promise. We promise you its worth something because we printed it out. So I'm actually talking about a second forum of currency.

Sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Regardless of where technology and innovation can or does take us, we will destroy ourselves with our own ambition and greed sooner rather than later.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
If the U.S. creates a second currency that's only good in the U.S. it will have no effect on the global economy. All they have to say is we guarantee you its worth something because you've earned it. We are already in dept to ourselves for over a trillion dollars, so what's the difference? Our money right now is based off of a promise. We promise you its worth something because we printed it out. So I'm actually talking about a second forum of currency.

Sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post.
Black market? They hold value wo any legal or official standard. Was just thinking of other items considered currency; no not bitcoins but that is the loophole for black market purchases online.

The other main thing that sticks out is illegal drugs. In a backwards way, they hold a stronger bottom line value similar to the gold standard of the past; not the same bc you can't create gold, etc. but similar.

Last edited:

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Quite a few people seem to think humanity will destroy themselves, i get it, humanity does engage in some nasty stuff. I don't feel the same way though because to me humanity has fought off some pretty nasty times already like evolution, starvation, and plague yet we are still here. Cold war was some dark days, most people knew we could all disappear at any moment back then yet we are still here. I guess the more you play with fire the chances of getting burned increase. I think humanity will continue to go through some nasty situations but i believe humans will come through to the other side.

What i was expecting in this thread was for some people to debate to keep a trade system forever and that it's the best and only way forward, but that really hasn't happened so far and that i find pleasing. I guess there is some hope for the future afterall. :)

Last edited:

jsb357

Reaction score
evolve.jpg

Creeper

Reaction score
And that foundation is now really nothing more than some group's word. At least when it was backed by gold somewhat it had a semi solid foundation. There's too many projects and people and not enough gold to back it all. Eventually the word they use will no longer work just like the gold no longer works. It's a system headed for complete breakdown but they have decided to ride it out as long as they can. I would agree with them that it is still too early to move away from the current system but they know it will happen one day sooner rather than later.

No necessarily disagreeing but now currencies are backed by governments. The more stable the government the more the currency is worth. But look at Crypto. It is not backed by anything or anyone other than the demand for it.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
No necessarily disagreeing but now currencies are backed by governments. The more stable the government the more the currency is worth. But look at Crypto. It is not backed by anything or anyone other than the demand for it.
Governments = group

Stabilty is basically how good the current time feels to the people using the currency. If they feel bad the stabilty becomes unstable.

This thread is to basically point out that this kind of system won't endure. I can't prove that it won't endure i can only claim it.

The outcome i believe is that one day humanity won't use a barter/trading/currency systems. These sytems create problems but they have been used for so long that it can't just be removed overnight, but it will be removed somehow someday.