Humor: The Ghosts (Stars) of Training Camps past

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Todd Christensen FB/TE, Danny Amendola WR, Matt Moore QB, Karl Powe WR, Stan Smagala DB, Adrian Hamilton DE, Everett Gay WR, Randy Shannon LB, Scott Ankrom WR/KR, Tony Hill DE, and Derrick Lassic (fooled Jerry to think he replaced Emmitt Smith LOL).

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yes and what follows on this board after is comments like “how they should have cut someone else” and “watch another team picks him up and he becomes a star”.:facepalm:
Yer' a veritable wellspring of Truth anymore,,,:starspin:,,,about everytime when I cut across sign of yer' posts, come to think about it?
:thumbup:

*you've foreseen the factually guaranteed hilarious reactionary blizzard of blithering bothers, thru the prior studious observations of seasons past,,,I'd feel safe in wagering,eh?:lmao:
:starspin::thumbup::starspin:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worst years were from 1999 until Parcells. We had horrible talent and each year there was some JAG that was going to break the trend and be a star.

Like the 3 CB's they drafted in the same year.
Goodrich, Lattimore and can't recall the 3rd guys name off hand.

What a wasted draft that was.
I think that was pre Bill.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
1. In 1963, former TCU QB Sonny Gibbs raised some eyebrows in TC. Gibbs was the team’s 2nd round pick in ‘62. Some writers were hailing his camp performance and even said he might pass Don Meredith to become the starting QB. Yeah... He never played a down in Dallas and was out of football by 1967 or 68. I remember as a little kid hearing that Sonny Gibbs was pressing Meredith to start. One other fun tidbit: Gibbs was 6’7”, a full foot taller than the “original” Cowboys QB, 5’7” Eddie LeBaron!
2. In 1970, the Cowboys were in a contract squabble with Bob Hayes who was asking for an outrageous $40,000 a year contract, lol. Gil Brandt brought in a speedy kid from Canadian football named Margene Adkins. Not surprisingly, Adkins was touted by the writers in TC as “having a great camp” and was even being talked about as a possible Hayes replacement. Adkins went on to catch 19 passes in 3 NFL seasons, two with Dallas. Hayes went on to the ROH and HOF.
3. In 1974 an UFA RB named Doug Dennison impressed everyone in TC and made the team. Landry even said he was the best goal line runner they had. Dennison was even proclaimed by some to be the future at RB. The great RB Preston Pearson was having great years in Dallas 75-76, but he got hurt in 76 and Dennison got his shot. He rushed for 542 yards and 6TDs in 76. But then the Cowboys drafted some guy named Dorsett the next year....

4. How about the 80s TC star and fan favorite QB Kevin Sweeney? A 7th round pick who became the darling at TC and a fan favorite, especially during the strike season of 1987 when the NFL played multiple games with rookies, former NFL rejects, etc. Sweeney lulled many Cowboys fans into thinking his solid play in replacement games would translate when regular NFL players returned. Despite his popularity, he played his last game in 1988, going 10-28 for 94 yards in 43-3 loss to the Vikings. He left the NFL for good in ‘89.

5. Who could forget the great 90’s TC star, RB Beau Morgan? An Air Force Academy kid who played QB in college but was an UFA expected to be converted to a RB. Because he had his military commitment, he actually participated in 3 TCs. One of the guys hailed as “having a great camp” each year by writers, Morgan had several good preseason games, even had writers like Randy Galloway impressed. But Beau could only make the practice squad and was eventually unceremoniously cut after being the star of 3 TCs.

These days, we could probably say OTA and TC superstar Rico Gathers is our most recent “ghost”. Anyway, it’s always fun to see who the guy is every year at TC that is hyped and hailed only to fizzle soon after.

Any good TC “ghosts” I left out? Any predictions on who will be the new Training Camp HOFer this year?

Dennison actually scored 17 TDs in three seasons before the arrival of Dorsett. Landry liked to use him near the goal line.

He was more productive than those other 4 guys, combined.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about Romo? Every preseason, some would jump on his wagon and nothing would materialize until Parcells had finally seen enough of Bledsoe but he was far from all in on Romo. Hell, all of the other players talked about his golf game before talking about him as QB, before he took over. There was even an article in the local paper that he might go pro and give up football.

And we often seem to have some preseason game HOFer that we all get excited over and he doesn't make the cut. I stopped watching preseason games back when I was in several Fantasy leagues because I could so easily be seduced into thinking I had a ringer, even though I would tell myself 'you are watching players that are destined for the forklift play against players that are destined for the forklift'. By golly, ya wanna believe something, damned hard to talk yourself out of it. When you argue with yourself, someone is going to lose.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The worst years were from 1999 until Parcells. We had horrible talent and each year there was some JAG that was going to break the trend and be a star.
Compared to the other players, he was a star. Home Depot and Lowe's sent recruiters to the Cowboys camps back then.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Todd Christensen FB/TE, Danny Amendola WR, Matt Moore QB, Karl Powe WR, Stan Smagala DB, Adrian Hamilton DE, Everett Gay WR, Randy Shannon LB, Scott Ankrom WR/KR, Tony Hill DE, and Derrick Lassic (fooled Jerry to think he replaced Emmitt Smith LOL).
LOL! Great list. Reminded me of another TC star from the 70s- a WR named Otto Stowe.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How about Romo? Every preseason, some would jump on his wagon and nothing would materialize until Parcells had finally seen enough of Bledsoe but he was far from all in on Romo. Hell, all of the other players talked about his golf game before talking about him as QB, before he took over. There was even an article in the local paper that he might go pro and give up football.

And we often seem to have some preseason game HOFer that we all get excited over and he doesn't make the cut. I stopped watching preseason games beck when I was in several Fantasy leagues because I could so easily be seduced into thinking I had a ringer, even though I would tell myself 'you are watching players that are destined for the forklift play against players that are destined for the forklift'. By golly, ya wanna believe something, damned hard to talk yourself out of it. When you argue with yourself, someone is going to lose.
Like you Coach, even as starved as I am by August for some football, I find preseason games as fools gold for fans. Every year in preseason, some guy who will never make any noise in the regular season will make a play or two in a preseason game against other guys who won’t be around by September. Whatever “big plays” are being made in the 4th qtr of a PS game are usually against guys who will be seeing the “Turk” soon.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
That QB that went to Miami. People thought he would one day replace Romo.

Justin Berlaut or whatever might count.

Alex Tanney.

There was a guy that was 6'6" 300lbs Jason Garrett pit him at DE. (really)

Garrett had another DT that was 6'2" 300lbs he could cut a backflip.

You can add Goerge Selvie to that list too.

You stole one of mine so I'll serve up All World safety Matt Johnson

irishline

Reaction score
Like the 3 CB's they drafted in the same year.
Goodrich, Lattimore and can't recall the 3rd guys name off hand.

What a wasted draft that was.
I think that was pre Bill.

Mario Edwards was the 3rd one and, ironically, the only one who did anything in the NFL.

His son sign just signed a FA deal with the Saints (he was a 2nd round pick with the Raiders). Mario Edwards Jr.

But yes you are right that was a horrible draft and yes it was before Bill (2000).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Garrett's brother's pet Kevin Ogletree.

More trips down Scrub Lane:

Jamaica Rector
Ken-Yon Rambo
Jeff Ogden
Patrick Jeffers
Darryl Clack
Alois Blackwell
Jamar Martin
Davon Coleman
Javier Collins
Demetric Evans
Junior Glymph
Dean Hamel
Hurvin McCormack
Amobi Okoye
Mike Lucky
Caesar Rayford
Daleroy Stewart
Courtney Brown
Pat Dennis
Derrick Frazier
Jakar Hamilton
Kareem Larrimore
Singor Mobley
Izell Reese
Lynn Scott
Stan Smagala
C.J. Spillman
Charlie Williams
Jamal Brooks
Quinton Caver
Dan Connor
Orantes Grant
Andrew Gachkar
DeVonte Holloman
Orie Lemon
Justin Rogers
Ernie Sims
Markus Steele
Micah Knorr

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett's brother's pet Kevin Ogletree.

More trips down Scrub Lane:

Jamaica Rector
Ken-Yon Rambo
Jeff Ogden
Patrick Jeffers
Darryl Clack
Alois Blackwell
Jamar Martin
Davon Coleman
Javier Collins
Demetric Evans
Junior Glymph
Dean Hamel
Hurvin McCormack
Amobi Okoye
Mike Lucky
Caesar Rayford
Daleroy Stewart
Courtney Brown
Pat Dennis
Derrick Frazier
Jakar Hamilton
Kareem Larrimore
Singor Mobley
Izell Reese
Lynn Scott
Stan Smagala
C.J. Spillman
Charlie Williams
Jamal Brooks
Quinton Caver
Dan Connor
Orantes Grant
Andrew Gachkar
DeVonte Holloman
Orie Lemon
Justin Rogers
Ernie Sims
Markus Steele
Micah Knorr
This list will grow starting in late July, lol!

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Horrible talent on top of our usual horrible coaching, a recipe for a horrible team.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Cowboy preseason great RB Beau Morgan was instrumental in me win the preseason fantasy football championship back in the day!

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DE Charles Tapper, fourth round draft choice had so much to offer, but spent most of his time on injured reserve from a pars defect (spinal stress fracture). In 2017, he actually played a couple of games with a sack and two tackles before going back on IR. Now a free agent after being released during OTAs with the Jets.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We are almost a month away from that annual pro football gathering known as training camp. The time when 32 teams start the beginning of football season with hope for a season of glory. The time when most of us fans get excited about guys that may never do anything in this league. Training camp “stars” that become “ghosts”, lol.

And in the daily grind of boring practices and repetitive drills, several newspaper beat writers will spin multiple articles about some “spare” who is “having a great camp”. It will usually be a late round pick or UFA with a great personal story that becomes everyone’s favorite underdog. And they usually never amount to much if they even make the team.

So for fun, I thought I would dust off the names of some former “Training Camp Stars” who burned bright in August only to see the Turk in September or fizzle out in a short career often while languishing on the bench.

Some former TC “stars” of Cowboys history:

1. In 1963, former TCU QB Sonny Gibbs raised some eyebrows in TC. Gibbs was the team’s 2nd round pick in ‘62. Some writers were hailing his camp performance and even said he might pass Don Meredith to become the starting QB. Yeah... He never played a down in Dallas and was out of football by 1967 or 68. I remember as a little kid hearing that Sonny Gibbs was pressing Meredith to start. One other fun tidbit: Gibbs was 6’7”, a full foot taller than the “original” Cowboys QB, 5’7” Eddie LeBaron!

2. In 1970, the Cowboys were in a contract squabble with Bob Hayes who was asking for an outrageous $40,000 a year contract, lol. Gil Brandt brought in a speedy kid from Canadian football named Margene Adkins. Not surprisingly, Adkins was touted by the writers in TC as “having a great camp” and was even being talked about as a possible Hayes replacement. Adkins went on to catch 19 passes in 3 NFL seasons, two with Dallas. Hayes went on to the ROH and HOF.

3. In 1974 an UFA RB named Doug Dennison impressed everyone in TC and made the team. Landry even said he was the best goal line runner they had. Dennison was even proclaimed by some to be the future at RB. The great RB Preston Pearson was having great years in Dallas 75-76, but he got hurt in 76 and Dennison got his shot. He rushed for 542 yards and 6TDs in 76. But then the Cowboys drafted some guy named Dorsett the next year....

4. How about the 80s TC star and fan favorite QB Kevin Sweeney? A 7th round pick who became the darling at TC and a fan favorite, especially during the strike season of 1987 when the NFL played multiple games with rookies, former NFL rejects, etc. Sweeney lulled many Cowboys fans into thinking his solid play in replacement games would translate when regular NFL players returned. Despite his popularity, he played his last game in 1988, going 10-28 for 94 yards in 43-3 loss to the Vikings. He left the NFL for good in ‘89.

5. Who could forget the great 90’s TC star, RB Beau Morgan? An Air Force Academy kid who played QB in college but was an UFA expected to be converted to a RB. Because he had his military commitment, he actually participated in 3 TCs. One of the guys hailed as “having a great camp” each year by writers, Morgan had several good preseason games, even had writers like Randy Galloway impressed. But Beau could only make the practice squad and was eventually unceremoniously cut after being the star of 3 TCs.

These days, we could probably say OTA and TC superstar Rico Gathers is our most recent “ghost”. Anyway, it’s always fun to see who the guy is every year at TC that is hyped and hailed only to fizzle soon after.

Any good TC “ghosts” I left out? Any predictions on who will be the new Training Camp HOFer this year?
I just saw Gibbs a couple years ago . He looks good and still towered over the room.