Hundreds mark A&M bonfire tragedy

Reaction score
Thoughts go out to these families. A member of our church lost a son and a nephew in this.

I'm a little surprised none of the "tradition-crazy" Aggs that post here didn't see fit to commemorate this today, but either way, it needed to be remembered.

God speed.
===================
Bonfire Memorial Website
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Before it was set to be dedicated with speeches and formality, the memorial built to honor the victims of Texas A&M University's deadly bonfire collapse was the site of a more intimate and silent ceremony.

Hundreds gathered at 2:42 a.m. Thursday -- the exact time of the collapse -- on the grassy field where 12 Aggies were killed and 27 others were injured five years ago.

A granite and bronze memorial on the site is scheduled to be dedicated Thursday afternoon during a ceremony that will include speeches by Gov. Rick Perry, a Texas A&M graduate, and A&M officials.
Full Article Link

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Thoughts go out to these families. A member of our church lost a son and a nephew in this.

I'm a little surprised none of the "tradition-crazy" Aggs that post here didn't see fit to commemorate this today, but either way, it needed to be remembered.

God speed.
===================
Bonfire Memorial Website
COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Before it was set to be dedicated with speeches and formality, the memorial built to honor the victims of Texas A&M University's deadly bonfire collapse was the site of a more intimate and silent ceremony.

Hundreds gathered at 2:42 a.m. Thursday -- the exact time of the collapse -- on the grassy field where 12 Aggies were killed and 27 others were injured five years ago.

A granite and bronze memorial on the site is scheduled to be dedicated Thursday afternoon during a ceremony that will include speeches by Gov. Rick Perry, a Texas A&M graduate, and A&M officials.
Full Article Link

A buddy of mine was one of the 12 killed. He was my lab partner in a geology class at the time he died in the bonfire collapse. He was graduating that semester and then joining the Marines. His girlfriend of a few years had just dumped him a week before the tragedy and he was heart broken over it. He was one of the victims who tested positive for alcohol when they were trying to determine the cause although that was NOT the cause. The reason why he had it in his blood was because he had been staying out late a lot that week because of her and trying to drown his sorrows. I guess that girl will never get to take back whatever she said to him. I talked to people early the next morning that had been at the scene and those poor guys and gals were traumatized. I remember one girl telling me in a dazed-still-in-shock look about students who had their arms crushed and trapped in between logs and screaming for help which couldn't do anything yet because of the logs weight. One of my bosses where I was an intern was connected to the President's office and told me some horror stories of what happened that not everyone knew about. Some of those rescue workers had to be counseled after the salvage. One of the more horrid stories I heard was a rescue worker trying to find students who were alive bumped his head into something under the stack, he turned around, only to find it was a dead student hanging upside down, trapped in the logs. I'll never forget where I was when I heard the news that the stack had collapsed. Don't think I'm not affected by it just because this "tradition-crazy" Aggie didn't post anything about it. Every Aggie in the world was affected by that moment.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Poke... I know you are a huge horns fan... kudos to you remembering these A&M kids...

Very nice gesture on your part... we are all Texans first...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Poke... I know you are a huge horns fan... kudos to you remembering these A&M kids...

Very nice gesture on your part... we are all Texans first...

Yes, nice gesture on your part Poke. Sorry if I come across as snippy in the above post, but Bonfire is a sensitive topic for me.

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Sorry if I come across as snippy in the above post,

Trust me TBC, you didn't, it was prob an uncalled for remark on my part anyway.

Thks for kind words, yours, and TB's both.

Sorry about your buddy.