Hunter trade conditions

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Does anybody know what he will have to do so that we can get that 5th round pick next year and not have to fall all the way to that 2007 6th rounder?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
The trade was stupid.
your never happy. Getting a 5th or 6th for him now when he's a FA at the end of this season is actually a VG move on our part.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
your never happy. Getting a 5th or 6th for him now when he's a FA at the end of this season is actually a VG move on our part.

Yep, getting something instead of nothing is always better.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
The trade was stupid.

Why? Hunter has proven nothing on the field. Nothing. Dallas was lucky the Jets were hurting for DB's. I'm actually kind of amazed he was "trade-able".
IMO I'm thinking he'd be gone after TC just for injury reasons alone. He may be as good as Henry (doubtful) but putting money on the table I'd take an athlete who hasn't been hurt 2 out of 3 years. He's a liability if nothing else. I think it was a good move and I also think BP took care of him by finding him a home.....somewhere else. JMO of course.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
It may sound like a 5th or 6th is meaningless, but they are good bargaining chip for moving up a little in earlier rounds or trading out of the pick for a round earlier the next year, or who knows. Philly has had so much mobility in the draft in the last few years because of stuff like this.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
The trade was stupid.

I have to disagree, Ben. I do admit being curious why you think the trade was stupid. :cool:

In my view, Hunter was coming off a major knee surgery and was scheduled to become a FA at the end of the season. Plus, he was unhappy about the Henry signing and was reportedly reluctant to switch positions and compete at FS. At least we are getting some sort of compensation for him.

If he turns out to be a great CB for the Jets, then I guess we'll all admit the trade was bad in hindsight.

Strong

Reaction score
Waffle said:
If he turns out to be a great CB for the Jets, then I guess we'll all admit the trade was bad in hindsight.

Actually, I don't know if it would be all that bad a trade even in the unlikely event he is great this year. We had too much invested in Henry and Newman to allow Hunter to try to be "great" and then leave in a year. I'd rather have the highest draft pick we can, so I hope Hunter makes the Pro Bowl. But I am not holding my breath.

Eddie

Reaction score
We should have tried to get something for Ekuban. He would have signed for peanuts. We could have dished him off for a draft pick. Heck, a 7th rounder is better than nothing.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
I'm not saying it was a horrible trade. And I understand the value there of a late pick, but was it totally out of the realm of possibilities that Hunter could provide depth at Nickle back or even FS?

That's all I am saying ...

My concern lies within this year. I really think we have the ability to make a run in the playoffs.

I just hope that when and if injuries occur, that we have a guy that can play on the level that Hunter is able to given his experience in the league. I'm not sure we have that, especially at nickle. We're going to be banking on a 32 year old to stay healthy - that's all I am saying.

If it works out, it works out though. It just seems risky.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I'm not saying it was a horrible trade. And I understand the value there of a late pick, but was it totally out of the realm of possibilities that Hunter could provide depth at Nickle back or even FS?

That's all I am saying ...

My concern lies within this year. I really think we have the ability to make a run in the playoffs.

I just hope that when and if injuries occur, that we have a guy that can play on the level that Hunter is able to given his experience in the league. I'm not sure we have that, especially at nickle. We're going to be banking on a 32 year old to stay healthy - that's all I am saying.

If it works out, it works out though. It just seems risky.

Evidently, Hunter was upset when we dished out big bucks to Henry when he thought he was going to be given a chance to compete for the starting CB job. With the money we paid Henry, there was zero chance Hunter was going to get a shot at starting at CB. We offered for him to move to FS where he WOULD have a chance to start but he balked at that and asked for a trade. When we signed Aaron Glenn his chances of even playing nickle CB were pretty much gone.

When that didn't happen he said that he would play FS if they wanted him to but he inststed that he was a CB. This trade gets him out of here and sends him to a team that will let him compete at CB and we get a draft pick for him.

Had we held onto him it would have taken a roster spot away from a player who is willing to earn a spot. Hunter has done NOTHING since being drafted except get hurt and get burnt. He has earned NOTHING so far and is NOT starting material, at least not at CB. I thought he would have made an excellent FS from Day-1 but he was insistent that he was a CB (because they get paid more and get noticed more as well).

If all of that isn't enough consider this: Hunter would have been a FA at the end of the season and we would have gotten nothing for him and he likely wouldn't have played much this year if at all. This way, he gets what he wants, we get something for him, and the Jets get a DB for depth if nothing else. A winning move all around.

zagnut

Reaction score
There'd have been nothing wrong with holding on to him through training camp. A 5th next year in the best case scenario doesn't seem more valuable than the depth and versatility Hunter afforded us. If we made it through most of training camp injury free and one of the young guys stepped up, we could have traded Hunter at that point and still protected ourselves from a disaster at CB.

Probably won't be an issue anyways, but assuming Hunter wasn't a negative in the lockerroom, we could have played it closer to the vest. The Jets were still likely to have a CB problem toward the start of the season and other teams might have developed CB problems due to injuries.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
We just turned a fifth round pick into a trade up for Chris Canty. Sometimes a fifth round pick has a lot more value than you think.