Hurns - are we stuck because of injury?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
This is an answer I have been unable to answer simply by searching Google given his injury and our option on his contract.

Can someone who knows the league better elaborate on if we can move on from Hurns and clear up $6mn in cap space, or because of his injury are we locked in until the summer when he returns?

John813

Reaction score
He only has 1.25mil in prorated guarantees, and a 1mil roster(per game) bonus.

As far as I've seen, there's no guarantees that come into play by the X day of the new NFL season. So, it's not like he has to pass a physical in March.

Since he's still injured from a NFL injury I would assume an injury settlement would come into play if they wanted to cut him sooner than later?
Cause IIRC his injury keeps him out till near OTAs if not longer.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
No not at all. I believe the 2nd year of the contract is a team option with no guaranteed $. The injury is not a factor. But reading the tea leaves, the team loves him and believes he'll return in time to participate in training camp. I actually like him as a depth WR. He can line up at all WR positions.

No reason to make a decision on Hurns until you get to preseason and see what you have overall at WR.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is an answer I have been unable to answer simply by searching Google given his injury and our option on his contract.

Can someone who knows the league better elaborate on if we can move on from Hurns and clear up $6mn in cap space, or because of his injury are we locked in until the summer when he returns?
No, they don't owe him any money if he is cut.

If he had gotten injured in 2019 off-season practices (OTAs, training camp, pre-season games) then they would owe him something for the 2019 season if they cut him. That's an injury settlement and is based on the project number of games the player will miss. There is some amount of negotiation involved between the team and agent.

conner01

Reaction score
No, they don't owe him any money if he is cut.

If he had gotten injured in 2019 off-season practices (OTAs, training camp, pre-season games) then they would owe him something for the 2019 season if they cut him. That's an injury settlement and is based on the project number of games the player will miss. There is some amount of negotiation involved between the team and agent.
I would assume he would be healed by season start but if he’s is not wouldn’t there still be an injury settlement since he was hurt playing
Just interested in how that actually works

cowboyec

Reaction score
no...we're not.
it wouldn't surprise me if the ax fell.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would assume he would be healed by season start but if he’s is not wouldn’t there still be an injury settlement since he was hurt playing
Just interested in how that actually works
No, that's why guaranteed money is a big issue in contract negotiations.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
No not at all. I believe the 2nd year of the contract is a team option with no guaranteed $. The injury is not a factor. But reading the tea leaves, the team loves him and believes he'll return in time to participate in training camp. I actually like him as a depth WR. He can line up at all WR positions.

No reason to make a decision on Hurns until you get to preseason and see what you have overall at WR.
I agree with all the above. He is a good 3rd or 4th option.

Kaiser

Reaction score
He made a big mistake coming to Dallas in the first place.

The mistake was by the Cowboys front office, but he was their third option after Watkins and Allen Robinson. Pretty hard to call six million dollars for 20 catches a mistake if you are the player, that's good work if you can get it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
No, that's why guaranteed money is a big issue in contract negotiations.

I wished more fans understood the impact of guaranteed money in contracts. Hell, I wished I understood it a little better, myself.

Beaker42

Reaction score

He made some big catches for us toward end of season and the Seahags game before his injury. I hope we keep him and Moore can utilize him.

irishline

Reaction score
He made some big catches for us toward end of season and the Seahags game before his injury. I hope we keep him and Moore can utilize him.

He had 4 receptions for 74 yards in the last half of the season. One against the Giants for 49 yards in the finale and 3 for 25 yards in the 6 games before it. He had 1 catch for 14 yards against Seattle (where he got hurt). I like Hurns, but did he really have some big catches towards the end of the season?

Like the man and hate the injury, but he was not exactly tearing it up prior to it.

That said, it is a team option so they don't even have to release him, just not pick up the option.

dogberry

Reaction score
Separate from pay, does the team have a responsibility to pay for medical and or rehabilitation services until recovery?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I would be fine with bringing him back for camp, just not for the $5 million on his current contract.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So what triggers an injury settlement
Is it just a settlement of guaranteed money
Injury settlements come after a player is hurt during the CURRENT league year in OTA, Training Camp or Regular Season.... teams estimate the amount of games missed and they pay that amount and release the player

AHurns had no guaranteed money left on his deal..... in fact his 2019 season is a Team Option.... he is not technically under contract when the League year starts

DAL has until March 13th to pick up the option.... if they do nothing he simply stays a FA agent even though he is injured..... they do not have to release him... they simply decline the option like they did with TWill