Hurricane Charley

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
My sister and Brother in law just moved to Tampa last month because the compamy he works for, WebMD Has moved all of their corporate head quarters there.

Yesterday morning she was making all of these preparations to stay and weather the storm.

Now this morning my Brother in law says he realizes now they should have evacuated with the other 1.4 million residents, but it's too late. :mad:

My sis went from being excited yesterday of seeing Cat 1-2, to being freaked about having to endure a cat 3 hurricane.

At least they live on the third floor a four year old concrete apt. building that was built to code as far as standing up to a hurricane.

They are expected to recieve an 18 foot storm surge in their location.

Anyhow, at least they have food water, and all the other necessities the local authorities say you'll need to survive after, if you survive during the storm.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Good luck to them. They'll be in my prayers and I hope they stay safe. What destroyed Miami the most with Hurricane Andrew was that the buildings which were supposed to be regulation and hurricane resistant had been cheated on by unscrupulous developers. I hope more honest businessmen live in Tampa Bay. I recently moved east of Tampa and I'm bracing for the storm. It should be okay by the time it reaches my place. I'll probably have to watch out more for flash floods and tornadoes than the hurricane's effects. I've been checking on it constantly and even though the winds have been upgraded, the eye isn't as distinct. I'm hoping Tampa Bay residents will be okay because the hurricane was already slowed down by Cuba and it's been knocking on the Florida coast all day so I don't think it's had much opportunity to reform. I'm fixing to go do some last minute errands and then I'm going to ride out the storm tonight. :)

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good luck and best wishes to all down there in Florida or who have loved ones down there right now.

Signals

Reaction score
Since I posted this thread this morning, Charley has turned inland sooner than was peviously believed it would. Charley also was upgraded from a cat 2, to a cat 4 between the keys and the FL. coast.

Charley's eye will make land fall about 100- 150 south of my family in Tampa Bay.

So they will only recieve tropical force winds.

However they are in the region where tornados are most common in relation to the eye.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
StarKist said:
Since I posted this thread this morning, Charley has turned inland sooner than was peviously believed it would. Charley also was upgraded from a cat 2, to a cat 4 between the keys and the FL. coast.

Charley's eye will make land fall about 100- 150 south of my family in Tampa Bay.

So they will only recieve tropical force winds.

However they are in the region where tornados are most common in relation to the eye.

Yeah, looks like Tampa Bay escaped the worst part. There's already been 3 tornadoes that touched down in counties nearby me. I'm getting hit with the outer edges of the hurricane right now and there's some mean looking clouds.

I just got finished driving down a 10 mile strip of road full of retail businesses and the only one still open was a Chinese food take out place. LOL

Signals

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Yeah, looks like Tampa Bay escaped the worst part. There's already been 3 tornadoes that touched down in counties nearby me. I'm getting hit with the outer edges of the hurricane right now and there's some mean looking clouds.

I just got finished driving down a 10 mile strip of road full of retail businesses and the only one still open was a Chinese food take out place. LOL

Does this chinese joint deliver to Tampa? I'm sure my sister would love some chicken chow mein right about now. LOL

I'm sure if these chinese resaurant owners are from china, they are probably soo used to getting slamed by cat. 5 typhoons that this is just a summer breeze to them.

Anyhow, stay safe TBC. :)

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Good luck to them. They'll be in my prayers and I hope they stay safe. What destroyed Miami the most with Hurricane Andrew was that the buildings which were supposed to be regulation and hurricane resistant had been cheated on by unscrupulous developers. I hope more honest businessmen live in Tampa Bay. I recently moved east of Tampa and I'm bracing for the storm. It should be okay by the time it reaches my place. I'll probably have to watch out more for flash floods and tornadoes than the hurricane's effects. I've been checking on it constantly and even though the winds have been upgraded, the eye isn't as distinct. I'm hoping Tampa Bay residents will be okay because the hurricane was already slowed down by Cuba and it's been knocking on the Florida coast all day so I don't think it's had much opportunity to reform. I'm fixing to go do some last minute errands and then I'm going to ride out the storm tonight.

LMAO at my response. I was not prepared for the strength of Hurricane Charley. While I was writing this, that damn hurricane changed directions and headed straight towards me. It also sped up and didn't lose a lot of strength as it plowed through Florida. The eye passed right over my house, or at least what was left of the eye. I just got back power today. :eek: I was lucky though, some of my neighbors don't have roofs anymore and I have friends that still can't drink their water.

Florida is not prepared for hurricanes. I used to live overseas and hurricanes were nothing because the building codes and power system were designed with annual typhoon hits in mind. That sucker tore up central Florida.

I had no chance in hell of catching the Cowboys first preseason game. But after reading in the newspaper about the Cowboys getting shut out in their first preseason game, it looks mother nature picked the right game to make me miss. :D