He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Bears Notebook

Hutchinson felt 'awesome' vs. Colts

Monday, August 22, 2005

By Gene Chamberlain
Staff writer

Chad Hutchinson simply felt too good.

The Bears' quarterback thinks intangibles — rather than fundamentals — contributed to his unimpressive start at quarterback in Saturday's 24-17 preseason win over the Indianapolis Colts.

Hutchinson was intercepted on two of the Bears' first three possessions and he also fumbled after being sacked, forcing a punt. He scoffed at the idea he was suffering from a case of nerves in his first game since replacing injured Rex Grossman as the starter.

"That was the funny part, is I wasn't nervous," he said. "I felt awesome out there. That's what's funny about this game. Sometimes on the days you feel great or when you make those kinds of mistakes you just maybe feel like (with) your arm (strength), you can fit that (pass) in.

"You try to do too much, probably."

As he's prone to do, Hutchinson didn't get down on himself after the first interception, a high pass that deflected off the hands of wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad.

"I said, 'Oh well, let's get back out there and get after it again,' and I threw another one," Hutchinson said. "So those things are going to happen. I'm going to learn from it. It's a good thing it happened now."

The Bears were without starting center Olin Kreutz, who was replaced by Roberto Garza. It was a drastic change given they'd had the same first-string offensive line together throughout the preseason and training camp up to that point.

Coach Lovie Smith believes the change upfront factored into Hutchinson being sacked three times for 18 yards in losses, although he couldn't absolve Hutchinson of all blame.

"I think it's most of the time you look at sacks as a combination of both," Smith said. "But I'd say it was more along the line than it was just Chad (to blame).

"They were on him pretty quick. And they know how to rush the passer over there pretty good, too.

"Missing your All-Pro center and missing your running back will hurt you a little bit," he added.

Running back Thomas Jones was given the night off but is expected back with the first-team offense Friday when the Bears play Buffalo. The game plan against the Bills is to play starters about three quarters.

"I'm not that concerned," Smith said. "Again, this week we'll put a lot more in (the offense). Hopefully we'll have all of our guys out there."

No wide-eyed rook

Quarterback Kyle Orton doesn't see himself as a challenger for Hutchinson's job, even after Hutchinson struggled Saturday.

"That's Chad's job," Orton, a rookie from Purdue, said. "He's going to play well and we're going to win a lot more games.

"I'm just trying to develop solely and get myself ready to play quarterback. I know I'm going to make mistakes. Any rookie is going to, especially any rookie who plays quarterback. You're going to make mistakes. It's just the fast track. You learn from them and don't repeat them."

Orton threw an interception in each of the first two preseason games and lost a fumble on a sack at the Bears' 12-yard-line that set up a Colts score.

He bounced back, however, completing two passes for 37 yards to Mike Bradley on a 17-play, 80-yard game-winning drive. Overall, Orton was 6-of-10 for 67 yards and had a 80.0 passer rating.

For the preseason, Orton is 20-of-31 for a team-high 333 passing yards, with one touchdown and two interceptions.

"I think he finished strong, leading that touchdown drive," Smith said of Saturday night's performance. "Kyle, he's had a good training camp for a rookie with what he's doing.

"It's not like it's too big for him. He doesn't have big eyes on the sideline. He has a lot of confidence in his ability and he has a bright future ahead of him."

Money talks

General manager Jerry Angelo on Sunday spoke with agent Eugene Parker, who represents first-round draft pick Cedric Benson.

The contract talks were the first of consequence in eight days, but hadn't produced results as of early Sunday evening.

Benson's holdout reached 29 days Sunday, a Bears record.

Knowing thyself

Ironically, Benson was asked last February at the Indianapolis scouting combine what his biggest adjustment to the NFL would be.

"Money management," he said. "I don't think things on the field will be too big of an adjustment at all.

"Actually, I think it will be easier, because guys (defenses) won't be able to load up the box on me every game like they did in college. I think just handling things off the field will be the most challenging."

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/222sd1.htm

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I think Orton will take Hutch's job by midseason if not sooner... I know the Bears are definately worried.. Actually Blake might take it if he can get the playbook down quick enough

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
I caught the Bears/Colts game on the NFL network. Hutchinson played pretty poorly against the Colts, but you wouldn't have known by his demeanor on the field. I guess he's grown used to all those sacks and fumbles because he appeared surprisingly resilient each time he pried himself off the RCA dome's new turf and back to the huddle or sideline.

Hutch is definitely a better QB now than he was here, but I have my doubts he'll ever learn to "feel" pressure. One of his interceptions had ZERO chance of making to the receiver, who was blanketed by triple coverage, no matter how much he believes he could have zipped it in there. He does have a great arm, but that won't take him very far.

jman

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Same old Hutch....at least he didn't ask Lovie what his role is :D

Yep...and like all the great one's, he's bound to have a bad game here or there...LOL