Hypothetical Cowboys ownership scenario

nobody

Reaction score
Okay, this is farfetched and nearly impossible, but I'm curious what happens if it did:

Say the entire Jones family goes on vacation on the yacht again like the do....and they get a Gilligan's Island
scenario.. Shipwrecked on a tropical island for years without contact.

What happens to the ownership of the team? Does some extremely distant relative inherit or does the League auction off ownership or what?

Then years later if the Jones' clan is rescued, what happens?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Interesting scenario. If you're saying the entire Jones family was missing, I would have to guess it would get absorbed into the NFL and divided up between owners to sale? I'm not sure. What a really great question!

Once they were found alive and brought back, dang, I'm not sure. I bet there would be some crazy legality hoops that would need to be jumped through. Any lawyers or certified paralegals on this forum?

nobody

Reaction score
@nobody : Monkey, is that you? Did you change your name?

If so, why "nobody"? You're not nobody. You're a very reasonable, caring and smart poster. Plus, you're my friend since the old official forums.

Thanks! I appreciate it! I like you too! :) It is indeed I Deathmonkey....I just felt it was time for a change. It was my old gamertag and that's just not something I do anymore. As to why I chose nobody as the name: One of my favorite movie quotes is from the Princess Bride. "Who are you?" "No one of consequence"

He was saying he was a nobody..but he made a huge difference in the lives of those around him. I take that to mean that even if you are a "Nobody" you still matter greatly. All people have value no matter how irrelevant they seem. I hope when I'm gone that I've had that kind of effect on those around me and made their lives better in some way.

Dang, I wish I had used @Runwildboys thoughts for why I chose it:
Did you change your name just so it would read, "Nobody liked your post...?" :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks! I appreciate it! I like you too! :) It is indeed I Deathmonkey....I just felt it was time for a change. It was my old gamertag and that's just not something I do anymore. As to why I chose nobody as the name: One of my favorite movie quotes is from the Princess Bride. "Who are you?" "No one of consequence"

He was saying he was a nobody..but he made a huge difference in the lives of those around him. I take that to mean that even if you are a "Nobody" you still matter greatly. All people have value no matter how irrelevant they seem. I hope when I'm gone that I've had that kind of effect on those around me and made their lives better in some way.

LMAO!!

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Tony Robbins and his partner Vince McMahon.. lmao.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Okay, this is farfetched and nearly impossible, but I'm curious what happens if it did:

Say the entire Jones family goes on vacation on the yacht again like the do....and they get a Gilligan's Island

What happens to the ownership of the team? Does some extremely distant relative inherit or does the League auction off ownership or what?

Sounds like a good movie plot,
Who plays Jerry?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

We all have value!
We are created in God's image.
Let that sink in!

Diehardblues

Reaction score

When you say “ entire” family , are you suggesting everyone who’s involved now or all of the family including all of the children's children which most likely every single one wouldn’t be on the ship.

Like most wealthy people there is a line of succession and it would go to whatever surviving heir there is including non blood in-laws.

In the end there would be a survivor of sorts . Then up to them whether they continue with ownership or sell out. In the event the survivor was a minor child then they would probably have to hire out and the league could assist as such.

Now as far as their return from being shipwrecked that’s more of a stretch. With todays technology I’d argue if they were on this planet it would be extremely difficult not to be able to determine if they were still alive or not . With that level of wealth the world could be turned upside down for search and rescue .

But once they were legally declared dead and their estate was designated to a survivor or survivors I’m sure they’d have to take it up in the courts if the survivors were to contest.

No doubt it would be probably the most bizarre circumstance in modern history . A most unlikely scenario with technology of today.

nobody

Reaction score
When you say “ entire” family , are you suggesting everyone who’s involved now or all of the family including all of the children's children which most likely every single one wouldn’t be on the ship.

Like most wealthy people there is a line of succession and it would go to whatever surviving heir there is including non blood in-laws.

In the end there would be a survivor of sorts . Then up to them whether they continue with ownership or sell out. In the event the survivor was a minor child then they would probably have to hire out and the league could assist as such.

Now as far as their return from being shipwrecked that’s more of a stretch. With todays technology I’d argue if they were on this planet it would be extremely difficult not to be able to determine if they were still alive or not . With that level of wealth the world could be turned upside down for search and rescue .

But once they were legally declared dead and their estate was designated to a survivor or survivors I’m sure they’d have to take it up in the courts if the survivors were to contest.

No doubt it would be probably the most bizarre circumstance in modern history . A most unlikely scenario with technology of today.

I did literally start the post with "Okay, this is farfetched and nearly impossible"

I was curious how the League would handle it mainly, and how it would handle a possible return of the Jones's. Would they even allow Jerry back in?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I did literally start the post with "Okay, this is farfetched and nearly impossible"

I was curious how the League would handle it mainly, and how it would handle a possible return of the Jones's. Would they even allow Jerry back in?
Of course they’d allow him back. Assuming the surviving heirs did if there was any legal recourse or fallout.

I wanna say there’s a time limit as far as returning from legally dead. Like 5-7 years .

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
i cash in my janitor's salary...buy my cowboys and hire my tex schramm to run it.
you'll never see or hear from me until the trophy presentation.
i make only 2 demands.
1. stadium renamed texas stadium.
2. hologram Elvis plays halftime every thanksgiving.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like a good movie plot,
Who plays Jerry?

ap070401040236-751ee92054329a44f4b4258da50426e8b74bd7f5-s1100-c50.jpg