Hypothetical: Does Dallas resign Zeke in 4 years?

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
If his off the field happenings keep up and his on the field production stays at a high level, does Dallas resign the 25-26 year old RB?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Would be a good poll question to reflect back on in 2021 and see who was right/wrong.

I would think with how the overall running back dynamic is in the NFL, we would not resign him. And that's without considering any off-the-field headaches he presents.

So if he doesn't mature by the time his rookie contact is up, and assuming he's still in the league, there's no way we'd give him another contract.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As of right now, absolutely. He has not been arrested, there has been no charges filed for any crime. He is still a kid who puts himself in bad situations. He should mature and learn over the next few years.

Players who have done much worse get re-signed every year. It would be a stupid mistake to lose him for minor shenanigans, especially if he is the top back then.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Do any of you recall the cowboys teams of the 70's or 90's? I'm not justifying anything but Zeke has only been accused and not proven guilty of anything except speeding .. there were plenty worse shenanigans by players of other eras and they were resigned ? I don't get it ..

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Do any of you recall the cowboys teams of the 70's or 90's? I'm not justifying anything but Zeke has only been accused and not proven guilty of anything except speeding .. there were plenty worse shenanigans by players of other eras and they were resigned ? I don't get it ..
Only difference is that there was significantly less public awareness of what those players were doing.

Either that, or people just didn't care and the NFL wasn't going out of its way to appeal to the PC crowd.

Zeke is getting in "trouble" for things that would have never hit the public's radar in the 70's or 90's.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

The players of yesteryear didn't live in the age of social media.

As to the question, it would depend on the team's offensive philosophy, the prospects in the draft, the value the team places on the position at that time and other players on the team.

Won't we be signing Dak and Jaylon Smith around the same time? Let's assume Dak, Jaylon and Zeke reach their maximum potential, who do you keep if you can only keep two?

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Only difference is that there was significantly less public awareness of what those players were doing.

Either that, or people just didn't care and the NFL wasn't going out of its way to appeal to the PC crowd.

Zeke is getting in "trouble" for things that would have never hit the public's radar in the 70's or 90's.
Exactly ^^^^....

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I don't think there will be a 2nd contract for Zeke, especially if the off the field stuff continues. He has some serious changing to do in his personal life. He has not made the transition from big man on campus party boy to professional athlete with strong repercussions for your actions. Nothing he has done is major but the constant negative situations he finds himself in point to an immature person thrust into a grownup situation with no idea how to handle it. He has extremely poor decision making skills and does not seem to grasp his situation at all. I don't have much hope that he will change anytime soon, in fact,, I think he is closer to spiraling out of control than he is to becoming a professional.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score

As to the question, it would depend on the team's offensive philosophy, the prospects in the draft, the value the team places on the position at that time and other players on the team.

Won't we be signing Dak and Jaylon Smith around the same time? Let's assume Dak, Jaylon and Zeke reach their maximum potential, who do you keep if you can only keep two?
Social media is the huge difference for sure ..
Not to sure that The "White House " could exist in today's media generation ...Irvin might have been suspended or faced more criminal charges..
could you imagine the Mcgyver (sp) incident with today's media / NFL
Hollywood Henderson ?
Dorsett?

Cowboys22

Reaction score

So what! None of that makes it acceptable. In fact, it points to his lack of professionalism that he cannot understand this and adapt his behavior. Anyone that can't see he is headed in the wrong direction is fooling themselves.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Dak and Jaylon. All day long.

elcowboi

Reaction score
I think he'll be signed to a new contract. I remember this same conversation when Dez was getting in trouble. Most of these kids grow out of the "dumb stuff" stage. I think Zeke will grow up as well. Trust and believe Witten, Dez, Dak and Lee will be in his ear to get him on the right path.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
im going to say it, does this make the Ramsey pick look worse? before anyone yells. I say no. Let EE mature first. Lets give the young guys some time. Like a poster said before, so much media and stuff going on. Most of these incidents wouldnt be known in the 80s.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So what! None of that makes it acceptable. In fact, it points to his lack of professionalism that he cannot understand this and adapt his behavior. Anyone that can't see he is headed in the wrong direction is fooling themselves.
Never said that he's not headed in the wrong direction. And I never said any of what he's doing is acceptable. But thanks for your input.

eyedoc

Reaction score
If his off the field happenings keep up and his on the field production stays at a high level, does Dallas resign the 25-26 year old RB?
If his worth is greater than the distractions then yes. However, if he keeps heading down the wrong path that he is choosing time and time again he may find himself banned from the league. It's such a shame that his talent is so far ahead of his maturity. Go Cowboys