Hypothetical: Does Dallas resign Zeke in 4 years?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a question let's say worst case Zeke gets suspended for a year does that extend his rookie contract for a year so we don't have to pay him so much?
That said , I don't plan on this happening at all just a total hypothetical.

Wood

Reaction score
If his off the field happenings keep up and his on the field production stays at a high level, does Dallas resign the 25-26 year old RB?

I don't think that is even consideration. Plan all along was to run him in ground and redraft RB after he leaves. Now with NFL having their cross hairs on Zeke - I would look to trade him in off-season for DE and redraft RB next year. Dallas system with pro-bowl OL under contract for years is to plug-n-play the RBs. Much much higher priority is finding that elusive DE.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
If he matures as a RB and a man, proves to be durable, and isn't too greedy, then we resign him.

Can't be sure at this point.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Depending on the outcome of this latest incident (nightclub fight), it likely could be 50/50...I would imagine he gets a chaperone pretty soon though. He appears to have little control over his impulses.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If his off the field happenings keep up and his on the field production stays at a high level, does Dallas resign the 25-26 year old RB?

Given that running back has gone from one of the glamour positions to a meat grinder where players are chewed up and spit out, I didn't anticipate the team re-signing him anyway.

His repeated acts of stupidity only reinforce that position for me.

No.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
As long as he continues to improve and produce at his current pace, he will get a second contract. I think that it's unlikely that he receives a third contract from us for big money, regardless of his accomplishments his first 6-8 years. The Cowboys don't like handing out third contracts anymore, especially not to a position like running back.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Not worried about it yet. If he continues his off field trend any deal he signs (from any team) will not be full value and will have tons of incentive based language in it.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Nope, a big nope for me.if he still has legs in 4 years then franchise him till he sucks.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Given that running back has gone from one of the glamour positions to a meat grinder where players are chewed up and spit out, I didn't anticipate the team re-signing him anyway.

His repeated acts of stupidity only reinforce that position for me.

No.

Exactly. #4 pick in the draft should not be a rental. The days of RB's getting AP money are over. Watch what Pitt does with Bell.

LittleD

Reaction score
As long as he continues to improve and produce at his current pace, he will get a second contract. I think that it's unlikely that he receives a third contract from us for big money, regardless of his accomplishments his first 6-8 years. The Cowboys don't like handing out third contracts anymore, especially not to a position like running back.

Most likely not...They will extend him in the 5th year option if he still has legs and then let him go. There are great RB's every year in the draft and it doesn't make financial sense to sign an aging RB to a second contract. 90% of RB are all washed up after age 28. Zeke may get another contract but, not with the Cowboys.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. #4 pick in the draft should not be a rental. The days of RB's getting AP money are over. Watch what Pitt does with Bell.

I'm watching now. They drafted a running back and didn't work out a long term deal with Bell, and I don't expect them to. They'll let someone else overpay for him and watch him then get hurt once he's got security.

I think the AP example you mentioned is the highest profile example.

LittleD

Reaction score
Running backs in the NFL are a dime a dozen now. There are very good RB's in every draft. You just don't have to overspend
for them. What you do pay for is a great, franchise QB and all pro OL and DL. Lineman can play well into their 30's and are worth
second long term contracts if they are elite. If you have an all pro CB, then maybe you sign him up again. Outside of those few positions, you just don't need to invest the money. If you can draft well, you can always refill the tank.

Sydla

Reaction score
Impossible to say. Maybe in 4 years, he's somewhat broken down given we used him a ton. Maybe in four years, he's had other off the field problems. Maybe he's clean over the next 4 years. Maybe he's really fresh because we were smart with his usage over the next 4 years.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
All Zeke has to do is do his talking on the field and he'll get another contract. If he falls off there then no.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The players of yesteryear didn't live in the age of social media.

As to the question, it would depend on the team's offensive philosophy, the prospects in the draft, the value the team places on the position at that time and other players on the team.

Won't we be signing Dak and Jaylon Smith around the same time? Let's assume Dak, Jaylon and Zeke reach their maximum potential, who do you keep if you can only keep two?
I don't even worry about Jaylon right now. Don't even know if he can play or if he does how good he will be.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Depending on the outcome of this latest incident (nightclub fight), it likely could be 50/50...I would imagine he gets a chaperone pretty soon though. He appears to have little control over his impulses.

He already travels with a security guy, not employed by the team though. This may change.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't spend #4 overall on a player you intend to let walk after his rookie deal.

The potential suspensions affect his guaranteed money. He's going to be the best back in the NFL, or close to it, when he comes up. Jerry's going to re-sign him pretty much no matter what, so the only question becomes how much damage does he end up doing to his guaranteed money between now and then. Worse case, though, is we pay him a fortune each season as we go.

I doubt it will get to that, though. Zeke will straighten out, or he'll get a suspension and straighten out before it gets too far out of hand.

flosho

Reaction score
What a laughable hypothetical...

Do we sign a RB in his prime that is/will be better than AP(in his prime) was? The answer is: YES.