Hypothetical Draft Situation w/ Peterson

Jake0

Reaction score
It's pretty clear that absolutely no one wants to butcher our future to trade up for him at #3, but every year someone drops and Peterson could very well be the guy due to his health concerns. IMO if he slips past the top 3, the next batch of guys have absolutely no need to bring in Peterson while having MUCH more glaring needs mostly on the defensive side of the ball. So say the top 4 goes Russell - Quinn - Thomas - Johnson. Somewhat of a longshot since Jamal Lewis doesn't seem like a longterm solution for Cleveland at all but just say that happens. Also, Johnson is so good that he could be a wildcard of some sort and go #1 or 2, making Cleveland take Russell or something along those lines as well.

Anyway, Arizona/Washington pass on him for sure, now say Minnesota does not want to gamble on him and stick with Chester.

Houston is up next, pretty sure they don't pass and now just because of Peterson's drop off, ~800 draft board points are saved (#3 is about 2200 and #8 is about 1400). Here's the question... is it worth it now to trade up? The difference we'd have to make up by swapping #1s is 1400 - 780 = 620 points approximately just going by an older board here. Our 2nd rounder would be worth ~360 points so that means 620 - 360 = 260 points left to make up. Giving up Julius or something along those lines and maybe throwing in some of our second day picks that we have an abundance of could make this work?

8 is kind of 50/50 to me, but if he magically drops to 10 then I say do it for sure. We have almost all of the intangibles now we need a gamebreaker. The fact that he got injured in college is the only reason we'd even have a shot AT ALL at him so to me that is a good thing. Barber playing on 3rd downs cuts down on injury risk and no worries of a rookie messing up blitz pickups on the major passing down.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Another one of these desparate to get Peterson to Dallas threads?

Okay.

Reaction score
Not sure why these threads keep popping up....

Peterson is not going to be a Cowboy.

Has a better chance of being a Texan than Cowboy.

Jake0

Reaction score
Wow, you people are so freakin stubborn. I just brought it up because hey.. every year someone you don't expect drops, and to me Peterson is a candidate for that. Hence the topic of hypothetical, I don't expect him to by any means.

If you don't want to participate and give your opinion on whether something should be done if Peterson suffers a dropoff on draft day for whatever reason, then simply don't reply and let this thread dwindle off into the 20th page. That is all.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Of course it would be nice if Peterson did drop, but realistically, I just don't see any way we'd move up far enough to get him. Jones would never part with the necessary picks that would enable us to take Peterson. Even if Peterson does drop somewhat, I'm sure he still won't drop far enough for us to consider sacrificing the necessary picks that it would take to get him.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Jake0;1424107 said:
It's pretty clear that absolutely no one wants to butcher our future to trade up for him at #3, but every year someone drops and Peterson could very well be the guy due to his health concerns. IMO if he slips past the top 3, the next batch of guys have absolutely no need to bring in Peterson while having MUCH more glaring needs mostly on the defensive side of the ball. So say the top 4 goes Russell - Quinn - Thomas - Johnson. Somewhat of a longshot since Jamal Lewis doesn't seem like a longterm solution for Cleveland at all but just say that happens. Also, Johnson is so good that he could be a wildcard of some sort and go #1 or 2, making Cleveland take Russell or something along those lines as well.

Anyway, Arizona/Washington pass on him for sure, now say Minnesota does not want to gamble on him and stick with Chester.

Houston is up next, pretty sure they don't pass and now just because of Peterson's drop off, ~800 draft board points are saved (#3 is about 2200 and #8 is about 1400). Here's the question... is it worth it now to trade up? The difference we'd have to make up by swapping #1s is 1400 - 780 = 620 points approximately just going by an older board here. Our 2nd rounder would be worth ~360 points so that means 620 - 360 = 260 points left to make up. Giving up Julius or something along those lines and maybe throwing in some of our second day picks that we have an abundance of could make this work?

8 is kind of 50/50 to me, but if he magically drops to 10 then I say do it for sure. We have almost all of the intangibles now we need a gamebreaker. The fact that he got injured in college is the only reason we'd even have a shot AT ALL at him so to me that is a good thing. Barber playing on 3rd downs cuts down on injury risk and no worries of a rookie messing up blitz pickups on the major passing down.

I think the kid's going to be a superstar in the NFL, of course I've been saying this since the DMN forum days back when he was in high school so I say go get him.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Those value charts go out the window when a player who teams are evaluating as one of the elite guys in the draft are on the board. Also, if he's there, Houston is will be taking calls from teams that are picking far higher than us.

mullet

Reaction score
Jake0;1424154 said:
Wow, you people are so freakin stubborn. I just brought it up because hey.. every year someone you don't expect drops, and to me Peterson is a candidate for that. Hence the topic of hypothetical, I don't expect him to by any means.

If you don't want to participate and give your opinion on whether something should be done if Peterson suffers a dropoff on draft day for whatever reason, then simply don't reply and let this thread dwindle off into the 20th page. That is all.

Jake0 came in here with a specific hypothetical situation that included some homework (draft pick points). And, on a slow football news day.
As such, regardless that it is another peterson thread, he doesn't deserve to be hammered.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Jake0;1424154 said:

It's so beyond the realm of even remote possibility that it wasnt worth YET ANOTHER THREAD bringing up the scenario.

Log off, get a clue, then come back when your head is clear. Peterson isnt dropping past Cleveland. I'd bet my life on it.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1424256 said:
It's so beyond the realm of even remote possibility that it wasnt worth YET ANOTHER THREAD bringing up the scenario.

Log off, get a clue, then come back when your head is clear. Peterson isnt dropping past Cleveland. I'd bet my life on it.

I will also bet his life.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
I'm not a GM and nor would I ever be, But I would trade this year and next year 1st and JJ for peterson and a 3rd next year. we would still have 3 1st day picks just not a 1st

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jake0;1424154 said:
Wow, you people are so freakin stubborn. I just brought it up because hey.. every year someone you don't expect drops, and to me Peterson is a candidate for that.
Not stubborn, Just reality based thinking taking over. Every year someone does drop. But not the top rated RB in the draft. He won't be a Cowboy.

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
Q_the_man;1424324 said:
I'm not a GM and nor would I ever be, But I would trade this year and next year 1st and JJ for peterson and a 3rd next year. we would still have 3 1st day picks just not a 1st
I'm glad that you are not the GM. The only person in this draft worth that much is C. Johnson. Why would you give up this much for a RB with health concerns? You could probably give up as little as a 4th to move up and get M. Lynch.

jimmy40

Reaction score
COWBOYSNUM1;1424354 said:
I'm glad that you are not the GM. The only person in this draft worth that much is C. Johnson. Why would you give up this much for a RB with health concerns? You could probably give up as little as a 4th to move up and get M. Lynch.
What health concerns?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Jake0;1424107 said:

I only go after him if he slips out of the top 10, otherwise pass. I just dont see Peterson sitting on the board at pick11

dwmyers

Reaction score
Jake0;1424107 said:

I see him often dropping to 8 in my mocks, once to 10th and another time to 15th. I don't see him ever dropping to 15th again, because the Bills created a hole when they traded McGahee.

I don't think Peterson is worth a 1st, 2nd, and Julius myself. If I were to move up in this draft into the 6-10 range, it'd be for an elite defensive lineman, and I wouldn't give up a veteran to do it. If by some miracle I were to get into the top 3, I'd be praying Oakland and Detroit wouldn't draft Calvin Johnson.

David.