Hypothetical Involving 1Tech/NT

blueblood70

Reaction score
Let's suppose you kept EVERY player we currently have on the defense BUT added a sure fire top five 1 Tech/NT to the current defense. What do you think the impact of it would be on the defense, with the new coaching hire?
that way too hypothetical as we have far too many Fas etc and with the draft we are adding defensive talent for sure..so better to hope for say 30% of our current defense will be replaced and with Quinn and a new staff we will improve maybe from bottom 5 to around 16 would be worth 4 wins with healthier team..

so easily 10-6 in my scenario..

lets pray for some sport pof off season TC and 2 PS games to get Quinns defense incorporated..Nolan was scape goat but with Failed FAS, injury and no offseason, hard to put that all on him..

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I know you are saying a NT but if you add a player like Aaron Donald to this DL I think the entire defense is much better. People that are answering your question didn't read all of it. Adding a top 5 player at NT(Donald) would improve the defense tremendously.

Donald isn't a 1T/NT which is why people aren't really considering him imo, but obviously adding Aaron Donald would help the defense.

JayFord

Reaction score
The defense would be in the top 15

a dominant defensive tackle can take over a game without registering a sack or a tackle

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think having a monster NT will help set an attitude and identity of toughness, however if the FO doesn't add a MLB and S the middle will still be abused. All 3 levels or it's a fail.

kskboys

Reaction score
The defense would be in the top 15

a dominant defensive tackle can take over a game without registering a sack or a tackle
It is sooooooooooooooo hard to get that across to the FF generation. They only watch highlights and think the game is all about WR's and CB's.

kskboys

Reaction score
Donald isn't a 1T/NT which is why people aren't really considering him imo, but obviously adding Aaron Donald would help the defense.
Donald is one of the very few players in this league that transcends position.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The term "reaching" is very subjective.

Problem is, you must analyze any players skillset, motor, and instincts w/ a microscope. And we are terrible at player evaluation.

A big NT does you no good if he has bad feet and no motor. For some reason, we don't seem to understand terms such as quick feet, lateral agility, instincts, and motor.

We do such a good job evaluating offensive linemen but we are the opposite in judging defensive guys. Caring to marinello made it worse.

kskboys

Reaction score
We do such a good job evaluating offensive linemen but we are the opposite in judging defensive guys. Caring to marinello made it worse.
We really don't. We simply starting taking them in the 1st where it's easy. We suck at drafting them anywhere else.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We really don't. We simply starting taking them in the 1st where it's easy. We suck at drafting them anywhere else.

Thought we did ok with biadiz and the Connor twins. Atleast those three have dated better than most of what we have drafted on the DL lately. Gallimore started out ok for a room, maybe hill takes another step.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Here's what you're missing: Stopping up the middle takes a dimension away from the opposing O. Those runs off tackle? Think about this. When you have someone stuffing the middle, the guys next to him only have to worry about one direction and will make more plays.

Yes that's one part of it, I didn't "miss it", just didn't try to do an exhaustive analysis of the 1T benefits and shortcomings...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Problem is, you must analyze any players skillset, motor, and instincts w/ a microscope. And we are terrible at player evaluation.

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say "terrible", now they are hit and miss at evaluations, that's for sure, and if that makes it "terrible" then I'm with you. But no team hits all their picks, so I'm not sure how you compare team drafts, there's so many variables. Like the Cowboys "hitting" on L. Collins, that was a bit of luck, if he's not made a "person of interest" in the murder investigation, doubtful the Cowboys get him. So I wouldn't necessarily agree "hit or miss" is the same as "terrible".

But just in the last 3 years we've gotten Lamb, Diggs, Pollard Gallup, Schultz. LVE was very good his rookie year, so ability is there. Before than we did get Lewis and M. Collins, both valuable if not Pro Bowlers.

Some failures as well, which makes it hit or miss.

Also have to look at draft position, other than Lamb at 17 and LVE at 19, all the rest were 50 and later. Obviously the farther down you pick the more chance you have to get a dud. Success in lower picks is very important, Cowboys haven't done well there, that needs improvement.

10 this year, highest since 2016, just that alone should "perk up" the "terrible" player evaluations....

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
True, but getting a good NT is the start we need. And we're not going to fix this mess w/o one.

the soft middle of the defense has been an issue since 2018. The ineptitude of the owner/GM has sunk this team and will continue to do so

kskboys

Reaction score
Well I wouldn't go so far as to say "terrible", now they are hit and miss at evaluations, that's for sure, and if that makes it "terrible" then I'm with you. But no team hits all their picks, so I'm not sure how you compare team drafts, there's so many variables. Like the Cowboys "hitting" on L. Collins, that was a bit of luck, if he's not made a "person of interest" in the murder investigation, doubtful the Cowboys get him. So I wouldn't necessarily agree "hit or miss" is the same as "terrible".

But just in the last 3 years we've gotten Lamb, Diggs, Pollard Gallup, Schultz. LVE was very good his rookie year, so ability is there. Before than we did get Lewis and M. Collins, both valuable if not Pro Bowlers.

Some failures as well, which makes it hit or miss.

Also have to look at draft position, other than Lamb at 17 and LVE at 19, all the rest were 50 and later. Obviously the farther down you pick the more chance you have to get a dud. Success in lower picks is very important, Cowboys haven't done well there, that needs improvement.

10 this year, highest since 2016, just that alone should "perk up" the "terrible" player evaluations....
I have to consider it luck when we do hit, as we often take guys who are missing the requisite skillset to succeed.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I have to consider it luck when we do hit, as we often take guys who are missing the requisite skillset to succeed.

They have much more access to the players and their coaches, etc. than we do. Much as I'm not a Jerry fan, I also do not think every single person that works for him is also poor at what he does, that's dissing an entire set of people that we have little idea as to exactly what they do.

To say any good player they get is due entirely to luck is ridiculous...