Hypothetical situation, but one that is plausible

Woods

Reaction score
Let me spell out a difficult hypothetical situation

Assumptions
Let's assume that JJ re-signs Hamlin.

The coaching staff isn't "sold" on Free/McQ being able to hold down the LT spot. They don't trust them yet. And they are worried that Romo could get hit/injured unless they keep a TE/RB/FB to help with protection.

Flo wants to re-sign, but he's "fairly" expensive. Let's say about $7-8mm/year area.

-----------------------------------------------------------
So what would you do? We have the money to re-sign both Hamlin and Flo. Plus enough to sign our draft picks and tender Canty and MBIII (at the equivalent of a Round 1 draft pick).

But the dilemma is then, we don't necessarily have the money to sign any top FA. MAYBE only 1 or 2 MID-level FAs (at best).

Do you draft a LT and hope for the best? Or even though the staff is unsold on Free/McQ, you risk it anyway, and instead shore up other weaknesses on your team?

Or, maybe you restructure a couple of other contracts?

Unfortuantely, I think there is a reasonable possibility that JJ will have to make a decision similar to this.

So, what would you do under the above assumptions?

Woods

Reaction score
By the way, I'm not saying that Free/McQ stink or anything. I'm just curious under the hypothetical situation I spelled out, what is the concensus.

Woods

Reaction score
bbgun;1926962 said:
Damn. I thought this was about me being Jessica's rebound guy.

That was going to be my next thread. :)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Woods;1926959 said:

Assumptions

The coaching staff isn't "sold" on Free/McQ being able to hold down the LT spot. They don't trust them yet. And they are worried that Romo could get hit/injured unless they keep a TE/RB/FB to help with protection.

Flo wants to re-sign, but he's "fairly" expensive. Let's say about $7-8mm/year area.

So what would you do? We have the money to re-sign both Hamlin and Flo. Plus enough to sign our draft picks and tender Canty and MBIII (at the equivalent of a Round 1 draft pick).

But the dilemma is then, we don't necessarily have the money to sign any top FA. MAYBE only 1 or 2 MID-level FAs (at best).

Do you draft a LT and hope for the best? Or even though the staff is unsold on Free/McQ, you risk it anyway, and instead shore up other weaknesses on your team?

Unfortuantely, I think there is a reasonable possibility that JJ will have to make a decision similar to this.

I don't know beans about our cap space and freedom to sign FAs but I was under the impression we could resign Flo and go after some FAs. I think it would be a mistake to let Flo get away but I don't know what kind of money he's wanting. I think he resigns here. Just gut check and I'd really like someone to put the figures out there and size up the possibilities.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bbgun;1926962 said:
Damn. I thought this was about me being Jessica's rebound guy.
Think Vince McMahon's intro music here.

"You got no chance, no chance in hell."

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Woods;1926959 said:

Assumptions

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in this weak FA market, aren't Hamlin and Flo "Top FA's"????

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I think alot of people will be shocked around here, but there is a strong possibility that we take a OT in the first round.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Flozell is not worth 8 mill a year Tiger. Hes old, a false start machine and there are great tackle prospects in the draft. Avaible at our position in Richardson, Cherlius, etc.

Hailmary

Reaction score
CowboyWay;1927076 said:
I think alot of people will be shocked around here, but there is a strong possibility that we take a OT in the first round.

Like who? Sam Baker? Yuck.

I was excited about the idea of drafting Long when the Browns trade was first announced. They had to ruin it by being decent this year.

There may be guys in the 2nd or 3rd that I may have interest in though. As far as the first round is concerned, I think there's a huge drop off after Long.

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hailmary;1927098 said:
Like who? Sam Baker? Yuck.

I was excited about the idea of drafting Long when the Browns trade was first announced. They had to ruin it by being decent this year.

There may be guys in the 2nd or 3rd that I may have interest in though. As far as the first round is concerned, I think there's a huge drop off after Long.
Gos

A monster named Gosder Cherilus will be there at 22. 6'7 315. Championship.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I'd have to say the coaches will address it (LT) later and look to other needs. We can either slide Big, use McQ, or Free. Damn I wish the draft was here!!!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
ELDudearino;1927126 said:
I'd have to say the coaches will address it (LT) later and look to other needs. We can either slide Big, use McQ, or Free. Damn I wish the draft was here!!!

Bigg needs to stay at guard. He sucked as a tackle.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Would you REALLY want to trust your Franchise QB's blind side to an unproven, untested, rookie?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;1927132 said:
Would you REALLY want to trust your Franchise QB's blind side to an unproven, untested, rookie?

yes...........if i were a senile Al Davis

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1927131 said:
Bigg needs to stay at guard. He sucked as a tackle.

I concur and I'm not stating what I want but what I believe the obvious to be..