Hypothetical - What would a trade for Aaron Rodgers look like?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I honestly dont know the cap ramifications so this may not even work but I figured I would throw it out there. Rodgers is still good/great but they had nothing in GB around him. And since the MM and Rodgers drama has been put to bed maybe they can get together for one final swan song and bring a championship to Dallas. Rodgers with these weapons and defense would be nearly impossible to stop.

Can we make the trade? Dak for Rodgers and whatever picks are needed? I know its out of left field and probably not possible but I figured I would ask since I dont know how the cap would be affected.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I honestly dont know the cap ramifications so this may not even work but I figured I would throw it out there. Rodgers is still good/great but they had nothing in GB around him. And since the MM and Rodgers drama has been put to bed maybe they can get together for one final swan song and bring a championship to Dallas. Rodgers with these weapons and defense would be nearly impossible to stop.

Can we make the trade? Dak for Rodgers and whatever picks are needed? I know its out of left field and probably not possible but I figured I would ask since I dont know how the cap would be affected.
Why are you ignoring me, bro?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

Why would GB want Dak?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why would GB want Dak?
To get rid of Rodgers? Like i said. Its hypothetical. Rodgers has called out that organization and held them hostage for years. Why wouldnt they want a yes man to bridge the gap for them to get Love in? And get Rodgers off the books.

John813

Reaction score
That's a lot of dead cap, and GB couldn't afford taking on Daks deal.

If GB trades Rodgers pre June 1st they eat a 40m dead cap, 8 more than him on the roster.
They are already 16mil over the cap.

Dak has a 31mil salary cap hit, which could be restructured to 1mil, but if GB is trading Rodgers, they are going to rebuild, not take a 30 year old QB nearing the end of his 2nd contract

Dallas would eat a 58, mil cap hit, 8mil more than his current cap hit, to ship off Prescott anywhere pre june 1st
Taking on Rodgers means that on top of the dead cap hit from Prescott, the cap hit for Rodgers would be $59,515,000 if they do not exercise his option and $15.79 million if they were to exercise the option.
So, almost 75mil in cap space taken, with a restructured contract on a 40 year old QB to trade Dak for Rodgers.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
To get rid of Rodgers? Like i said. Its hypothetical. Rodgers has called out that organization and held them hostage for years. Why wouldnt they want a yes man to bridge the gap for them to get Love in? And get Rodgers off the books.
I'd do the trade if GB would do it.

Rodgers is still great.

He won't play many more years.

It's a win/win.

Flamma

Reaction score
The last thing I'd want is Rodgers on the Cowboys. I don't even think we could do it. Let him go to the Jets like all of the rest of the washed up QBs did.

visionary

Reaction score

In a heartbeat

RS12

Reaction score
Let's take all the financial road blocks out of this, and how McCarthy ended in GB, and assume it was a possibility. When is the last time this FO showed the tiniest amount of creativity to do something like this? The "we like our guys mentality" is born of life time job security and massive egos. Love for something like this but there is a better chance I play QB here next year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Cap issues make this a non starter, but even if they could figure that piece out would GB want Dak? I know he gets disregarded quickly by fans and the media, but they did draft Jordan Love in the 1st round just a few years ago. I wonder if GB would be more interested in getting a deal based around someone like Diggs or straight picks, and giving their guy a chance first? If Jordan Love fails hard they'll be drafting high enough to get a new rookie QB the next year so I don't see a ton of downside to them going that route.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Rodgers was bad this year so this would likely be a wash at QB at best and probably a downgrade.

Why would we want to trade for him? Hard pass.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Yes, that would be such a kumbaya reunion. How long before he fulfills your observation in Dallas?

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes, that would be such a kumbaya reunion. How long before he fulfills your observation in Dallas?
Dont care as long as we win. What has Dak's "ill get better" and apologies gotten us? Id rather take Rodgers off field stuff with his talent.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Dont care as long as we win. What has Dak's "ill get better" and apologies gotten us? Id rather take Rodgers off field stuff with his talent.
What about Lamar? Jerry could set him up with some Cayman Crypto to get his cap hit down.

offlimits

Reaction score

It is possible I suppose but the hole in your hypothetical trade is that A) Dak has a no-trade clause and B) Why would GB want this knucklehead?