Hypothetical-Would Josh Gordon be worth the headache?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
On a vet minimum contract, would you guys take a flyer on him? Say what you want about the Cowboys, our methods of dealing with problem players seems to be better than anyone except the Pats. I think him and Dez would be a terrifying duo for defensive coordinators. Thoughts?

SMH.

KB1122

Reaction score
Is any wide receiver worth the trouble. Carolina, NE, Seattle .... not one dominant wideout among them.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh Grodon can stretch the field big time. That should tell you right there that he isn't coming here. We don't believe in that.

;) Sorta.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I don't think the term "low risk" truly applies to either Blackmon or Gordon. Perhaps they can be had for a low cost, but it they would both still be very risky. Risky because the probability is very high they will screw up again. Blackmon already has. There is nothing in Gordon's history to suggest he will ever change. His issues have been with him for years. Risky also because when they do inevitably screw up again and get hit with another suspension whichever team that signed them will be left scrambling trying to find their replacement. That is always a fun thing to do in the middle of a season. I hope Gordon just goes ahead and does everyone a favor and fails another drug test in the next few weeks. That way anyone interested in him doesn't have to fall into the trap that he has changed. Blackmon has already done it. Gordon can follow suit.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I don't think the term "low risk" truly applies to either Blackmon or Gordon. Perhaps they can be had for a low cost, but it they would both still be very risky. Risky because the probability is very high they will screw up again. Blackmon already has. There is nothing in Gordon's history to suggest he will ever change. His issues have been with him for years. Risky also because when they do inevitably screw up again and get hit with another suspension whichever team that signed them will be left scrambling trying to find their replacement. That is always a fun thing to do in the middle of a season. I hope Gordon just goes ahead and does everyone a favor and fails another drug test in the next few weeks. That way anyone interested in him doesn't have to fall into the trap that he has changed. Blackmon has already done it. Gordon can follow suit.

I hope Gordon can get his act together and get back to dominating in the NFL. Whether he is a Cowboy or not. I don't get it when people are actively hoping for others to fail. Life can't be that miserable can it??

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On a vet minimum contract, would you guys take a flyer on him? Say what you want about the Cowboys, our methods of dealing with problem players seems to be better than anyone except the Pats. I think him and Dez would be a terrifying duo for defensive coordinators. Thoughts?

I actually posted about Gordon in a recent thread.

Speaking for myself, I would offer Cleveland a 4th round pick for both Gordon and Manziel as a package deal. I wouldn't give anything for Manziel alone, but the package would allow Cleveland to 'save face' and say that they 'got something' for two players who didn't work out.

Given our compensatory 4th rounder this year, I think the potential upside with either or both is worth the risk.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I hope Gordon can get his act together and get back to dominating in the NFL. Whether he is a Cowboy or not. I don't get it when people are actively hoping for others to fail. Life can't be that miserable can it??

You take things too seriously. I was joking. I'm not rooting for Gordon to fail, but the odds are he will. And fail is relative. Just because he keeps smoking weed and fails a drug test doesn't mean he has a miserable life or failed at life. It just means he won't be able to play in the NFL. It is the life he wants. While playing in the NFL is a cool thing and a great honor, it isn't the only thing to do in the world. Gordon, based on his previous actions doesn't consider playing in the NFL as the only thing he wants to do.

Blackman needs to get his act together because he has become a danger to himself and others. Screw football, he just needs to make sure he is okay. Gordon isn't in that category. He just enjoys smoking weed. Unfortunately, that doesn't work for the NFL and I truly doubt he changes his ways.